Turn on thread page Beta

I got 13 A*s AMA watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Succedo)
    Year 11 mocks in January.

I just cannot be motivated to revise in summer! It's my break? I got all A* in the year 10 exams albeit some by 1 mark. I was thinking just revising from September?? Like maybe a hour everynight on top of homeworks etc?

Really want all A* but i usually cram.

Should i shut up and start revising?
    Really? Starting now would be ridiculously early and pointless. I wouldn't start until November at least, maybe even later than that. Also, I had hardly any homework at all in year 11.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    did you go commando for your exams ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student_1999)
    I honestly have no idea what university I am aiming for haha! I do want to go to a Russell Group uni. Although Durham sounds amazing. I want to study Chemistry or chemical engineering at uni, but probably would change it to biological sciences since my math isn't really my strong point. Honestly, GCSEs were incredibly difficult for me. I had in total 18 exams, so the pressure was really high. There wasn't any exam that I could say was easy, all exams were so hard!!!
    18 seems really quite low in terms of exam numbers, what subjects did you take?

ReputationRep:
    Just posted it! It only shows 11 cos I did science, additional science and french last year! See the post above you!
    3 of them are a bit soft but the rest are good; nice one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgottenApple)
    3 of them are a bit soft but the rest are good; nice one!
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgottenApple)
    18 seems really quite low in terms of exam numbers, what subjects did you take?
    I did ten exams in year 10 Just look at my result sheet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    did you go commando for your exams ?
    haha not really

ReputationRep:

I just cannot be motivated to revise in summer! It's my break? I got all A* in the year 10 exams albeit some by 1 mark. I was thinking just revising from September?? Like maybe a hour everynight on top of homeworks etc?

I started revision in January

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    Did you get high UMS or just scrape the A* boundary?

JW, despite it not really mattering
    No, I sat comfortably in all my exams with an A*. Some units I got full marks in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VannR)
    If you do computer science correctly, as a branch of mathematical research, it is intrinsically linked to every single science, and is now vital for modern research. If at any point a piece of research involves a 'process', a computer scientist will tell you how it is best done.

You should also stop focusing on the S in STEM. Computer science is (by most accounts) not a natural science like physics - it is more related to engineering/mathematics.
    There is hardly any maths in comp sci, only discrete maths really and nearly every other stem subject whether it is a natural science or engineering uses much more complex maths than computer science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blutooth)
    There are huge areas of overlap between both maths and physics and computer science. The earliest computers were designed to solve differential equations. The abstract formulation of a computer as a Turing machine takes you deep into the heart of logic. One of the Millenium prizes in mathematics is a computing problem. Look into P=NP. If you do machine learning you are essentially doing statistics. Do you think what the people at Google are doing , "trying to solve intelligence" computationally is easy? Do you think coming up with algorithms to solve problems is easy? If so try telling me whether there can be a polynomial time solution to the travelling salesperson problem, and then once you do that you can tell me that computer science is easier than maths or Physics.And btw, Quantum computing is quantum physics applied to algorithms.

From your posting on the subject, I can only assume that you do not know what computer science is. Far from being easier than maths or Physics, areas of comp sci can be just as abstract as areas of abstract maths or theoretical physics. Yet the fact that we use this abstraction to solve real world problems at Google, NASA, FB- for intance to automatically translate text or to automate the guidance of missiles and rockets- gives computer science a life and energy that that cannot be rivalled by mathematics or physics.
    How cute you're fighting hard for your subject even though you know it is easier then nearly every other stem subject. Why talk about quantum computing when it isn't even in the syllabus for most comp sci degrees? Lol general theory of relativity alone is probably a harder concept then all of comp sci

ReputationRep:
    You've haven't studied computer science at degree level, so how on earth would you know that it is "easier"? You are basically being prejudice, and that in itself shows that you are ignorant.
    Lol stop licking the other guy's arse because nearly everything done in comp sci is easier than the other stem subjects. The natural sciences are much more theoretical and the theories are much harder and use much more complex maths than computer science. Engineering is also much more theoretical but your applying it to real life problems as well. I am not stating that comp sci is inferior to the other stem subjects, rather it is just easier. I most likely will study comp sci as well so this is not based on ignorance, it is just universally known that comp sci is easier than the majority of the other stem subjects.

ReputationRep:
    No, I sat comfortably in all my exams with an A*. Some units I got full marks in
    How come you didn't do further maths and get A^?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blutooth)
    There are huge areas of overlap between both maths and physics and computer science. The earliest computers were designed to solve differential equations. The abstract formulation of a computer as a Turing machine takes you deep into the heart of logic. One of the Millenium prizes in mathematics is a computing problem. Look into P=NP. If you do machine learning you are essentially doing statistics. Do you think what the people at Google are doing , "trying to solve intelligence" computationally is easy? Do you think coming up with algorithms to solve problems is easy? If so try telling me whether there can be a polynomial time solution to the travelling salesperson problem, and then once you do that you can tell me that computer science is easier than maths or Physics.And btw, Quantum computing is quantum physics applied to algorithms.

From your posting on the subject, I can only assume that you do not know what computer science is. Far from being easier than maths or Physics, areas of comp sci can be just as abstract as areas of abstract maths or theoretical physics. Yet the fact that we use this abstraction to solve real world problems at Google, NASA, FB- for intance to automatically translate text or to automate the guidance of missiles and rockets- gives computer science a life and energy that that cannot be rivalled by mathematics or physics.
    Lol without physics there would be no rockets in the first place. It is universally known that nearly every other stem subject is harder but that does not mean comp sci is inferior to the other stem subjects. Comp sci is probably one of the fastest growing and most useful subject there is. Don't confuse how hard something is as a measure of superiority relative to another subject.

ReputationRep:

you should shut up and enjoy your holiday!!
    Jokes aside, focus on any controlled assessments you have left now, and make sure you understand everything now

i.e. you want to 'learn' all the content, revising should come before exams

It might be a good idea in November time to find out the best way you can revise though, for your mocks

ReputationRep:
    My A-Levels are changing, so there is no longer AS. This means that unis look at GCSEs as predicted grades. I think the importance of GCSEs has increased, not like in your time.
    That might be true. But grades aren't everything anyway; character counts for much more I would say, in the majority of cases. Someone with a good character but bad GCSEs is still worth a lot more than someone with a bad character but 20 A*s, except in a few corner cases.

Maybe if you're talking specifically about getting into a good university, what you say is true. But I don't think it's true of life in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    That might be true. But grades aren't everything anyway; character counts for much more I would say, in the majority of cases. Someone with a good character but bad GCSEs is still worth a lot more than someone with a bad character but 20 A*s, except in a few corner cases.

Maybe if you're talking specifically about getting into a good university, what you say is true. But I don't think it's true of life in general.
    Yes character is important, shame you cannot get a qualification in character!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    How come you didn't do further maths and get A^?
    Our school didn't offer further maths at gcse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adil1231)
    Lol stop licking the other guy's arse because nearly everything done in comp sci is easier than the other stem subjects. The natural sciences are much more theoretical and the theories are much harder and use much more complex maths than computer science. Engineering is also much more theoretical but your applying it to real life problems as well. I am not stating that comp sci is inferior to the other stem subjects, rather it is just easier. I most likely will study comp sci as well so this is not based on ignorance, it is just universally known that comp sci is easier than the majority of the other stem subjects.
    You clearly have pre-set ideas and I respect your opinion. I do think you are being ignorant. We clearly have two very different attitudes and beliefs, so thank you for commenting on this thread and let's not continue fighting as this is obviously ain't getting anywhere

ReputationRep:
    Our school didn't offer further maths at gcse
    You could have done it privately! as gcses seem piss easy for you

What's your plan for next year?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.