Turn on thread page Beta

Should we scrap the monarchy? watch

• View Poll Results: Should the monarchy be abolished once The Queen dies?
    Of course. I'm a diehard republican.
    41.07%
    No - they are doing no harm.
    47.34%
    I'm undecided.
    6.90%
    What?
    4.70%

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind us having a royal family, they just need to pay for their own way in life and not live off taxpayers. I think they own enough land, and have large enough endowments to be able to live reasonably well off just the interest alone. And I don't think we the taxpayers should have to contribute to supporting the lifestyles of the 'lesser royals'. Otherwise as the royal family keeps on expanding (for as long as each couple has more than two kids each) where will it end?

ReputationRep:
    We don't even live in a true democracy now.

With the technology at hand in today's world, are you saying we can't have a system where every individual is able to vote on everything decision? That would be a true democracy.

The Prime Minister is elected by his own party, and not the electorate (we vote for our MPs) and the First Past the Post system is not as democratic as Proportional Representation since the person in charge in the last election only received 36.9% of the popular vote.

Let's worry about those flaws before we start worrying about the Queen and the Royal family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    With the technology at hand in today's world, are you saying we can't have a system where every individual is able to vote on everything decision? That would be a true democracy.
    I would love to vote for my tax rate...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alastair H)
    Ohh, I beg to differ.
    About what.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    About what.
    That you would not be happy singing about beating the English, as you are trying to tear apart the very core of our legal system.

ReputationRep:
    That you would not be happy singing about beating the English, as you are trying to tear apart the very core of our legal system.
    Core of the British legal system.

ReputationRep:
    Her majesty does sign all law in, I believe that justifies as the core, if not enlighten me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strangesquark)
    I don't mind us having a royal family, they just need to pay for their own way in life and not live off taxpayers. I think they own enough land, and have large enough endowments to be able to live reasonably well off just the interest alone. And I don't think we the taxpayers should have to contribute to supporting the lifestyles of the 'lesser royals'. Otherwise as the royal family keeps on expanding (for as long as each couple has more than two kids each) where will it end?
    HMRC receives all profits from the Crown Estate. They far exceed the amount the Royal Family gets, by a ratio of about 4-1 I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    HMRC receives all profits from the Crown Estate. They far exceed the amount the Royal Family gets, by a ratio of about 4-1 I think.
    have you not heard of the "royal grant"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iJAKE)
    Abolishing the royal family is fundamentally unBritish! We should acknowledge and (to certain extents) be proud of our history, removing such a large part of it encourages the repugnant disregard for our roots that has already started to plague our society! The actual power the Queen has is debatable and the benefits from things like trade and tourism are just as great if not greater than the costs; we should be looking at our political system itself and lack of political awareness and education in our country rather than bringing down the monarchy if we want true democracy. Long live the Queen!
    To be honest Paris still gets loads of tourism and they executed their monarchy. I think we should be much kinder though. We can give the Queen a state pension and Prince Phillip can be put on the work program lol!

I take inspiration from the Knights Templar and how they dethroned King John.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strangesquark)
    Do you know what the crown estate is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any argument about money is completely missing the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    To be honest Paris still gets loads of tourism and they executed their monarchy. I think we should be much kinder though. We can give the Queen a state pension and Prince Phillip can be put on the work program lol!

I take inspiration from the Knights Templar and how they dethroned King John.

Yes, they executed their leaders and almost instantly (within 16 years) a dictator ascended to power, he invaded vast amounts of Europe and forced all of his empire to ride on the other side of the road, thus if ever attacked his stronger left hand was at and advantage for combat, and instituted himself as emperor and gave his relatives high positions of power. He was coronated and his son and grand son were also emperors of France, does not sound at all like a monarchy. It worked out great for the French.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilo98)
    I think we should remove all political standings of the monarchy. let them be because yes, they bring in tourism etc but I think the power the queen has (granted in theory but still) makes a mockery of the democratic society we live in.
    "Tories got 37% of the vote but 50% of the seats and ALL of the power".

The election process has already made a mockery of the democratic society we live in...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they executed their leaders and almost instantly (within 16 years) a dictator ascended to power, he invaded vast amounts of Europe and forced all of his empire to ride on the other side of the road, thus if ever attacked his stronger left hand was at and advantage for combat, and instituted himself as emperor and gave his relatives high positions of power. He was coronated and his son and grand son were also emperors of France, does not sound at all like a monarchy. It worked out great for the French.
    The Americans have done very well without a monarchy. We can follow their example.

But don't think I hate the monarchy. I love how prince william has made it his life ambition to be a vessel of good on Earth. I just hope he doesn't follow his Grandmothers foot steps.

Princess Diana will be missed. Why is it that good people are always taken away from us and we have to put up with the tyrants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Any argument about money is completely missing the point.
    Is this a joke? Other than that argument you just have some tards going on about symbolism as they hold no actual power.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    The Americans have done very well without a monarchy. We can follow their example.

But don't think I hate the monarchy. I love how prince william has made it his life ambition to be a vessel of good on Earth. I just hope he doesn't follow his Grandmothers foot steps.

Princess Diana will be missed. Why is it that good people are always taken away from us and we have to put up with the tyrants.
    Apart from the fact an initial government was set up with little way to run the country, when Washington suggested the unification of the 13 states the Governors feared a "a permanent ARISTOCRACY" as Philadelphia's Independent Gazetteer put it. The Americans who wanted independence the Most were people like General Washington who owned vast estates such as Mount Vernon because they wanted to escape high taxes, thus when a small group released they needed a new system they struggled because the one thing that the American's hated about the British was the high taxes on land owners and businessmen, and the one thing people feared was the Taxes.

Now people will argue that they eventually set up a new government so to save time, Canada has a monarchy and has 24% of its parliament being women in comparison to America's 22%, unemployment rate is lower in Canada, with a greater percent of Canada's GDP made up of Industry, Manufacturing and Agriculture. Canadian debt is at 51.9% of GDP in comparison to of America's 96.1% of GDP, and while Canada's debt is stabliseing, while America's debt continues to grow. With the rural population growing annually by 0.18% which seems small, however America experiences rural depopulation.

Furthermore Canada only experiences 7.2 deaths per thousand compared to America's 8.2 per 1000. While only 9.2 percent of the Canadian population lie below the poverty line, a whole 15.1% of America's population lie below the poverty line. Almost 4 times as many people commit murder every year per 100,000 in America. The average Canadian is expected to live for 3 years longer to the age of 81, and infant mortality is 1.7 lower than America at only 5.2 per 1000. Obesity is 5% lower than in America. With half the number of people living with HIV or AIDS for Canada's population at 3 per 1000.

Moreover Canada has 9 times more billion barrels in reserve, in comparison to America, while producing 58.9% of Energy from Hydroelectric and a further 3% from other renewables, where America to rely on Gas and Coal to provide 54% of their electricity. Air pollution is lower per capita in Canada and the Air is cleaner per cubic meter.

Canada spend 1% of their GDP on defence and the military, where America spend at the moment 3%. In my opinion this is a good thing as it allows more money to be spend on education, however others may disagree.

America (0.8 guns per resident) has 7 times more murders per million people than Canada (0.3 guns per resident). For every 100 robberies per 100,000 people in Canada there are 150 robberies per 100,000 in America.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    have you not heard of the "royal grant"?
    Yes it seems I'm 3 years late lol. The Royal Grant is a fixed percentage of Crown Estate profits though so the original point does stand.

ReputationRep:
    I dont realise arguments against. Scarp the Monachy! .... Treason!! First of all its traditional, low cost. ANd for **** sack, dont get upset, God save the Queen. The Queen over everything. These immigrants and lefties saying we should scrap it but bare in mind she was chosen by god to rule over us!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Yes it seems I'm 3 years late lol. The Royal Grant is a fixed percentage of Crown Estate profits though so the original point does stand.
    why is the monarchy given its own money...? :|

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.