ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil Colon)
    TheMaster102

0 badges
    follow
    0 followers
    1 4 days ago
    For some reason TSR removed a thread I made on this topic... anyway

So I currently hold a Masters degree in Computer Science from Queen Mary.

I achieved great success and ended up receiving a distinction grade (73%).

The main reason I did this masters was because I got a very poor undergraduate grade, (a 2:2 from Reading in Computer Science).

Now some of you might be already scoffing at my Desmond and believe me, I am completely ashamed of the grade, however I am a very capable student. I got 3 A's at A-level and am very good at my subject (computer science) however in my second year of uni I suffered from a mental breakdown and it ruined my grades.

Despite getting a high 2:1 in my final year, my bad performance in second year dragged me down to the dreaded "Desmond" 2:2

I was 1% off, and so disappointed, but I vowed to rectify this stain on my record. I got into my masters and did great, heck I did fantastically. I got the top grades and masters is difficult.

I have finally proven myself academically, I have achieved what I am capable of and have a qualification that shows it. But yet I fear the stain of my 2:2 will still haunt me and ruin my future prospects.

I'm considering applying to the TOP uni's for my PhD, oxbridge and possibly imperial, I know I am capable and my masters shows my abilities, however I'm worried my desmond will drag me down.

it's so annoying that even with a masters I can't write off this awful grade, but what can you do.

What do you guys think.
    I got a 2:2 B. Eng in Comp Sci and went on to do an MSc in Internet and Wireless Computing in the Electronics department which has allowed me to undertake a PhD in Comp Sci. They really only looked at the project scores which in my case were over 75%.

If you want it just go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelJack)
    No sympathy. Not very nice to say your girlfriend didn't do any work for her degree.
    lol she didn't though, comparatively, she knows this and says so herself. We lived together. It's a fact. I had to do orders of magnitude more work, just look at any computer science curriculum, try to get your head around computer architecture, operating systems theory, circuits, compilers, and any other hardcore science modules.

Computer Science is among one of the hardest degrees you can do, along with maths, law, physics and chemistry + any other science.

I am really sorry to break it to you, but some subjects are a lot more work than others.

ReputationRep:
    Hello Mr Desmond,

I graduated with a 2:2 in 2009. Since then I've done an MA, just finished my MSc dissertation and am hoping to begin a PgCert. PhD is also an option for me.

I've worked in various jobs and enjoyed them, none of which required a degree. I'm interested in teaching in FE when my circumstances are more compatible with the course demands.

I've enjoyed a good working life amd academic life post 2:2. So can you.

Besides, I know of a number of people with top grades from top unis who are just as vulnerable to the recession and general difficulties as anyone else.

You grade really doesn't determine your future, you do. Life is more diverse and interesting than placing emphasis on the notion that a graduate job is the only way forward. I've never applied to a graduate job. Never seen anything that has interested me.

So yeah Mr Desmond. Keep the faith

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CA$H KRAZE)
    Desmond got a Tutu
    Absolutely outstanding

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OK. Yes, somewhere there in a quiet corner of her room undergrad student is reading your story. She has gone through all the threads and is ready to answer. She studies mathematics and every single time b4 her exams she dreams about Geography. Not because she enjoys it. She has no single clue about it! Only because they have reading week not exam week they have much less contact hours homework etc. Let say honestly some degrees are easier than others. STEAM are the hardest. She understands your feeling about difference between you and your girlfriend
    She desperately tried to get first in her first year as she wanted to enrol on MSCi. The answer: unsuccessful (2:1). She spent all her time in home studying revising barely having fun. Unsuccessful! !! That's a pain after all the effort that she has put in. And people were ready to bet on her that she will get first. Unsuccessful! !! Yes she understands your pain
    Over summer holiday she has worked really hard. She is between 1st and 2nd year. She has a good job now as FOH in ATG and her plan for second year: study +work to don't have a gap in work experience. She has learned one thing in her first year: some things do not depend on us. Unexpecated change of circumstances can change a lot in final result. Yes I understand how one thing can change a lot
    Thank you for sharing your story as she has awareness of searching for help as soon as she encounter any problem.
    She has dyslexia, dyspraxia and irlen syndrome. So yeah health problems can lay impact on your study.

ReputationRep:
    I've watched this thread from the beginning, and after seeing how you respond to the support and suggestions of others I don't think I have any sympathy for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jegzi)
    I've watched this thread from the beginning, and after seeing how you respond to the support and suggestions of others I don't think I have any sympathy for you.
    why not?

ReputationRep:
    I just thought I'd share the news with you guys.

I managed to secure an offer from a russell group university to study MSc. Computer Science. Am really overwhelmed.

I didn't expect to get in, there was a strict 2:1 criteria, but I have still nonetheless managed to secure a place. I will now have the ambition to succeed to make sure I do myself proud, and I will (if I can) aim for the distinction grade.

You have all been a tremendous help here, I think in retrospect I acted far too negative about the whole thing.

What I REALLY want people to know is, there really is a light at the end of the tunnel even if you leave with a 2:2, at the end of the day it's just some numbers on a piece of paper and doesn't define your intelligence or who you are, it's just a grade.

It really sucked when I opened that results paper, I will never forget it, and it's a feeling a lot of us face, but damn, life can just surprise you. I truly feel blessed.

I want anyone here who has a 2:2 who is maybe struggling to deal with it, to remember that there's not roadblocks in your way, the 2:2 may make it harder, but if you're a fighter you will succeed. I gave that masters application all I could, and I know if any of you do too you will get in to whatever programme, job or anything you set your mind too.

Thanks TSR!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMaster102)
    Desmond woke up, he looked towards his computer as soon as he did so, jumping up anxiously out of his bed and grabbing the laptop beside him. He was on holiday at the time with his girlfriend. Today was results day.

Desmond eagerly anticipated his grades, nervous and scared, but very excited, for Desmond had worked very hard this year. Desmond studies a science subject, and had to write a lengthly report that was over 20k words in addition to creating software projects. (Desmond studies computer Science btw)

He opened his results, and his heart sank. He read "SECOND CLASS DIVISION 2"

He frantically Googled his grade, in shock, in horror, he knew what it meant but he was hoping some how, that this was some kind of mistake. Google answered his search, and responded with his worst fears, a nightmarish moment he will never forget, he had been awarded a 2:2.

He was confused, he had been receiving 2:1's all year, his project was given a first, voted by the university as one of the best of the year, he presented it at their open day, how could this be!

Desmond realised his efforts had fallen short because in his second year, he had achieved a third. All his efforts in his final year lay to waste and now he was stained with a 2:2.

Everyone he knows, graduated with a 2:1, his girlfriend, who had done no work during their relationship, who was out partying whilst he was at home studying had achieved a 2:1 in Philosophy. Oh how Desmond was in despair, he was ashamed of his grade, ashamed of all he achieved, angry, sad, he was lower than he had been.

He searched online, hoping, praying that others similar to his plight could alleviate some of his trauma. But he was met with a horde of TSR pseudo-acedemic non-graduates.

"2:2, i'd be ashamed of myself", "dude, look forward to working in macdonalds", "might as well have not bothered going to uni"

Oh Desmond tried to appeal to his uni, he was only 1% away after all, but he was rejected.

And now Desmond has failed, he has lost it all, he thought that the shame would leave him once he found a graduate job, but alas, no one would have him.

he found that 70% of all graduate jobs require a 2:1 or above, he found none that would accept him. Now the 2:2 was really burning him, now he was truly being punished.

but it went further, his dream of doing postgraduate courses at the Russell group unis was squashed. For every application he would skim to the "entry requirements" section, only to be met with the great insurmountable gate-keeper, "minimum 2:1 required" he saw at every corner he turned, on application after application.

He has paid upwards of £25k, spent 4 years studying only to receive a grade that does not add anything to his life, but revoke it, does not augment his employability and eligibility, but actually reduces it. The 2:2 stain, screaming of laziness or inability. He has ruined his life, and 1% away...

It has been weeks of peaks and throughs, of depression, anger and sorrow. Desmond finds himself frantically obsessed about his grade, and mortified. His department in university has shut down, and Desmond suffered the inevitable harsh marking of lecturers and professors who knew their jobs were finished. Desmond also suffered great personal problems he doesn't like to hide behind, but that greatly affected him in his second year, and it was after all his second year that dragged him down.

achieving AAA at A-Level, Desmond was great, but now he forever will be a failure. His dreams crushed, all over that 1%, his life is ruined.

(Btw, I am Desmond)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-TE_Ys4iwM

ReputationRep:
    why not?
    You have all been a tremendous help here, I think in retrospect I acted far too negative about the whole thing.

You said it yourself!

Anyway, congrats and I'm glad things are looking up for you now.

ReputationRep:
    Some graduate schemes accept a 2.2 in Computer Science....and congrats on getting onto your MSc!

ReputationRep:
    I just thought I'd share the news with you guys.

I managed to secure an offer from a russell group university to study MSc. Computer Science. Am really overwhelmed.

I didn't expect to get in, there was a strict 2:1 criteria, but I have still nonetheless managed to secure a place. I will now have the ambition to succeed to make sure I do myself proud, and I will (if I can) aim for the distinction grade.

What I REALLY want people to know is, there really is a light at the end of the tunnel even if you leave with a 2:2, at the end of the day it's just some numbers on a piece of paper and doesn't define your intelligence or who you are, it's just a grade.

It really sucked when I opened that results paper, I will never forget it, and it's a feeling a lot of us face, but damn, life can just surprise you. I truly feel blessed.

I want anyone here who has a 2:2 who is maybe struggling to deal with it, to remember that there's not roadblocks in your way, the 2:2 may make it harder, but if you're a fighter you will succeed. I gave that masters application all I could, and I know if any of you do too you will get in to whatever programme, job or anything you set your mind too.

Thanks TSR!
    I don't have a 2.2 but if I did, I would set my mind on making pigs fly by their own will. According to you, I should be able to do it it if I set my mind.

ReputationRep:
    Hey mate! This isn't the end - in fact I can imagine it becoming the beginning of a truly inspirational story. What did you intend to do with the degree? If it at all involved working for someone (in the sense, if it involved being a researcher for a firm, a lab scientist for a company or anything else in which you would not have been your own boss - I'm not too acquainted with the Science profession since I am pursuing Economics), then my sincere suggestion would be to work hard to try to continue with the same pursuit - but independently, by yourself and being your own boss! I can see that you have a lot of passion, and I can only imagine what it feels like having your dreams crushed - but they are not crushed! I can imagine this being the preface to a truly inspirational story in the future! Passion and perseverance my friend!! Best of luck with it all!

ReputationRep:
    x
    Congrats. Well deserved!

A life lesson learned well for anybody else. If you want to succeed. You will. It's not about getting it right first time.

I refer you to this:

ReputationRep:
    I really want people to see it actually in the end turned out alright for me, the trouble was getting that masters. All i needed was another chance to do well.

Its a shame that a 2:2 is looked so badly upon, but you can get past it. I was so upset about it, really. I was ashamed even. but now it will mean little because I have another chance to prove myself academically and I'm going to smash it!

ReputationRep:
    I completely understand how you feel - I too received a lower classification than I was expecting and was totally devastated and also appealed the decision but to no avail. This too has also deterred me from my planned career path and I have had to take a completely different route/career choice. It's been a while since I finished mine, but I'm still slightly embarrassed it still irks!!

ReputationRep:
    Lol WTF your life isn't over because of a 2:2 I got one and Im achieving everything I wanted so far. Just work hard and you'll get where you want to be a 2:2 isn't the end of the world jeez. Drama Queen

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to try and realign your grade now to your future...although that might be hard but it is the reality you have to face right now.
    I feel really bad for you tho and will keep you in my prayers.

ReputationRep:
    Desmond woke up, he looked towards his computer as soon as he did so, jumping up anxiously out of his bed and grabbing the laptop beside him. He was on holiday at the time with his girlfriend. Today was results day.

Desmond eagerly anticipated his grades, nervous and scared, but very excited, for Desmond had worked very hard this year. Desmond studies a science subject, and had to write a lengthly report that was over 20k words in addition to creating software projects. (Desmond studies computer Science btw)

He opened his results, and his heart sank. He read "SECOND CLASS DIVISION 2"

He frantically Googled his grade, in shock, in horror, he knew what it meant but he was hoping some how, that this was some kind of mistake. Google answered his search, and responded with his worst fears, a nightmarish moment he will never forget, he had been awarded a 2:2.

He was confused, he had been receiving 2:1's all year, his project was given a first, voted by the university as one of the best of the year, he presented it at their open day, how could this be!

Desmond realised his efforts had fallen short because in his second year, he had achieved a third. All his efforts in his final year lay to waste and now he was stained with a 2:2.

Everyone he knows, graduated with a 2:1, his girlfriend, who had done no work during their relationship, who was out partying whilst he was at home studying had achieved a 2:1 in Philosophy. Oh how Desmond was in despair, he was ashamed of his grade, ashamed of all he achieved, angry, sad, he was lower than he had been.

He searched online, hoping, praying that others similar to his plight could alleviate some of his trauma. But he was met with a horde of TSR pseudo-acedemic non-graduates.

"2:2, i'd be ashamed of myself", "dude, look forward to working in macdonalds", "might as well have not bothered going to uni"

Oh Desmond tried to appeal to his uni, he was only 1% away after all, but he was rejected.

And now Desmond has failed, he has lost it all, he thought that the shame would leave him once he found a graduate job, but alas, no one would have him.

he found that 70% of all graduate jobs require a 2:1 or above, he found none that would accept him. Now the 2:2 was really burning him, now he was truly being punished.

but it went further, his dream of doing postgraduate courses at the Russell group unis was squashed. For every application he would skim to the "entry requirements" section, only to be met with the great insurmountable gate-keeper, "minimum 2:1 required" he saw at every corner he turned, on application after application.

He has paid upwards of £25k, spent 4 years studying only to receive a grade that does not add anything to his life, but revoke it, does not augment his employability and eligibility, but actually reduces it. The 2:2 stain, screaming of laziness or inability. He has ruined his life, and 1% away...

It has been weeks of peaks and throughs, of depression, anger and sorrow. Desmond finds himself frantically obsessed about his grade, and mortified. His department in university has shut down, and Desmond suffered the inevitable harsh marking of lecturers and professors who knew their jobs were finished. Desmond also suffered great personal problems he doesn't like to hide behind, but that greatly affected him in his second year, and it was after all his second year that dragged him down.

achieving AAA at A-Level, Desmond was great, but now he forever will be a failure. His dreams crushed, all over that 1%, his life is ruined.

(Btw, I am Desmond)
    You may think your life is ruined but just look towards war torn countries and you will realise that you are an ungreatful ****.

Good Bye!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grassntai)
    what university did you go to?

JK Rowling got a 2:2 from Exeter if it's any consolation.
    As a baby boomer... the population is not growing any more, our economy is forecast on the basis of growth (hopelessly endless, we are told) but noone has a ****ing clue what is going to happen next,

Things are happening faster and less predictably. Cows are a huge problem (not a joke, look at the documentary "cowspiracy"), as much as humans.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.