Turn on thread page Beta

AQA A2 English Literature 2016 - Love Through The Ages. Official Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have notes on all the different time periods and the names and features of each period with perhaps a quote or two? And any predictions for the unseen texts? My teacher mentioned Sylvia Plath...

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  531.1 KB
    (Original post by popbop321)
    Thank you, that's really helpful could you please link me the info about not repeating wider reading between questions 1 & 2?
    I don't have an online link but my teacher gave me a print out so I've attached a picture of that works?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Belmar)
    My teacher said that you've probably gained most marks by the conclusion so it's not overly important so I usually keep it quite simple and just draw the two pieces together. So I'll start by saying something like: Although written over 300 years apart, the depictions of ..... show that attitudes towards .... had altered little/largely over this period. Both ...... However, Item A is arguably more..., possibly due to the (insert context here)
    Ooh that's good thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon-her)
    Does anyone have notes on all the different time periods and the names and features of each period with perhaps a quote or two? And any predictions for the unseen texts? My teacher mentioned Sylvia Plath...
    I have some notes my teacher gave me. Hopefully they show up okay?
Views: 188
Size:  546.0 KBAttachment 551153551155Attachment 551153551155551170[attach]5.5115355115555116e+23[/attach][attach]5.5115355115555116e+29[/attach][attach]5.511535511555512e+35[/attach][attach]5.5115355115555116e+41[/attach][attach]5.511535511555511e+47[/attach]
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    hi guys, does anyone have any notes on typicality for '14th century' texts?
    All I have is 'epic poetry' ://

good luck for tomorrow everyone! xx

ReputationRep:
    If I got a C last year, does anyone know what I need to get in the exam for a B?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natashaellenx)
    I have some notes my teacher gave me. Hopefully they show up okay?
Views: 188
Size:  546.0 KBAttachment 551153551155Attachment 551153551155551170[attach]5.5115355115555116e+23[/attach][attach]5.5115355115555116e+29[/attach][attach]5.511535511555512e+35[/attach][attach]5.5115355115555116e+41[/attach][attach]5.511535511555511e+47[/attach]

thank you so much. I'm unable to rotate images on the laptop but still appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubyamelia)
    If I got a C last year, does anyone know what I need to get in the exam for a B?
    Depends on your coursework and exam grades to UMS. You would most likey need a High B Low A to get a C. But the mark to UMS conversion fluctuates.

ReputationRep:
    Whats everyone's plan for revision? Im currently just making condensed last minute notes, highlighting key stuff, im going to force learn periods and their dates, then write it down in the exam, just to get that out of my head. (Im reading the notes for most of them now) WR im revising my reading log. I pray Q1 is poetry (though I doubt it will be, if drama then thats fine, just not Prose).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahesh114)
    Whats everyone's plan for revision? Im currently just making condensed last minute notes, highlighting key stuff, im going to force learn periods and their dates, then write it down in the exam, just to get that out of my head. (Im reading the notes for most of them now) WR im revising my reading log. I pray Q1 is poetry (though I doubt it will be, if drama then thats fine, just not Prose).
    I'm doing the same and also revising key terms because I'm really bad at remembering them. I really hope poetry too, drama would be second best. I've heard AQA are being pretty mean this year though so they could throw anything at us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eble)
    I struggle to find points of comparison to focus my paragraphs on and instead base each paragraph on form/structure/language.
    Could you give me an example of a point you would use?
    Thanks
    I do it in the way that if one poem/play extract /prose extract uses repetition and the other poem/play/prose uses repetition, I link it as the similar device and talk about how both portray love in their own particular way. And my point would be a language device for each paragraph so I'm thinking of 3/4.

Don't take my word for it as best! But that's the way I find easiest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natashaellenx)
    I'm doing the same and also revising key terms because I'm really bad at remembering them. I really hope poetry too, drama would be second best. I've heard AQA are being pretty mean this year though so they could throw anything at us
    Key terms are a pain, but its only for tomorrow then its over And when are AQA NOT mean :P Im ready for the exam, I can compare and write enough (too much actually, teachers get annoyed). I just cant be bothered to write that much in the exam, its such a laborious exam :?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    How many wider reading links will everyone be looking to make?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    How many wider reading links will everyone be looking to make?
    Obviously the 3 Minimum, but Ill go for 4. I dont think I will be able to do more than that. Yourself?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Obviously the 3 Minimum, but Ill go for 4. I dont think I will be able to do more than that. Yourself?
    I don't really have much of a range at all... I could talk about one novel and two plays confidently (and a select number of poems), but other than that I have no idea. :dontknow:
    Hoping for an A*, but I'm finally feeling the pressure and I don't know if I can do that... :erm: What are you aiming for?

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting really stressed about this! The AS resit paper I did (Victorian Literature) was really nice, so I'm scared the A2 paper will be horrible. I'm also scared that the Q2 prompt will be specific enough that I just won't have any wider reading for it!

I've calculated that I need roughly a C in this exam to get an A overall, due to the AS units and coursework, but I'm terrified that it'll all go wrong. Some of the past papers, particularly the non-Shakespeare drama extracts, have been horrible.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really have much of a range at all... I could talk about one novel and two plays confidently (and a select number of poems), but other than that I have no idea. :dontknow:
    Hoping for an A*, but I'm finally feeling the pressure and I don't know if I can do that... :erm: What are you aiming for?
    Working from last years A and my CW of 68/70 this year, I need rougly 55/80 to secure an A, 62+ for an A*. To be completely honest with you, I hate English as a subject. Hated it in GCSE got A* A*, hated it less (I like WW1/2 literature) got an A, REALLY HATED THIS YEAR (Love isnt my thing in literature). Idk I just wanna revise sleep do it then focus on Maths.

ReputationRep:
    We're likely to get two novels for Q1 unfortunately! For the last several exams, it's been
    - 3 years of poetry
    - 1 year of drama, then
    - 1 year of poetry

So if possible try and get a couple more novel quotes (schmoop is very useful) but I really hope it'll be poetry.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Working from last years A and my CW of 68/70 this year, I need rougly 55/80 to secure an A, 62+ for an A*. To be completely honest with you, I hate English as a subject. Hated it in GCSE got A* A*, hated it less (I like WW1/2 literature) got an A, REALLY HATED THIS YEAR (Love isnt my thing in literature). Idk I just wanna revise sleep do it then focus on Maths.
    Excellent grades. I don't think it will be a fun 150 minutes. I did like it last year, but unfortunately I have nothing but contempt for love. :erm:

(Original post by doctorwhofan98)
    We're likely to get two novels for Q1 unfortunately! For the last several exams, it's been
    - 3 years of poetry
    - 1 year of drama, then
    - 1 year of poetry

So if possible try and get a couple more novel quotes (schmoop is very useful) but I really hope it'll be poetry.
    Oh :sad: - that's unfortunate. :hide: Erm, I'm not too well-versed in the techniques where novels are concerned.
    I was planning to get a few more novel quotes. I've been reading plots and the relationships between characters and picking out quotes without reading the books all year.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent grades. I don't think it will be a fun 150 minutes. I did like it last year, but unfortunately I have nothing but contempt for love. :erm:

Oh :sad: - that's unfortunate. :hide: Erm, I'm not too well-versed in the techniques where novels are concerned.
    I was planning to get a few more novel quotes. I've been reading plots and the relationships between characters and picking out quotes without reading the books all year.
    Yeah, I started with good intentions about actually reading a lot of novels but I've resorted to plots as well. But don't worry if you don't end up remembering the novel quotes - according to my teachers, quotes aren't too necessary in the exam as long as you explain how it's relevant (with the plot or however if applicable), so you should be fine in that regard. And if it helps, last year's paper was extremely hard so AQA may well take the opposite approach this year and give us a nice paper, ideally with two poems, a nice Shakespeare play and a novel extract with lots of imagery... I hope.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 15, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.