(Original post by The Shed End)
    *British
    Technically that's also wrong but

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Technically that's also wrong but

*Dirty Northern Irish nonce

ReputationRep:
    I think some things need to be put into perspective.

Rodgers is one of the best British managers. Whatever you say about him to get 14 wins in a row in the league is some achievement. The way he set the team up that season to get that points tally shows a talent I don't think many others would have replicated. He's however not a top tier manager and doesn't look like he ever could be.

If you sack him you need to be able to get someone better in. Monk has shown no evidence to prove he wouldn't be just like Rodgers for example. A continental manager with CL experience needs to be obtained like klopp as it doesn't appear Rodgers can take that next step as a manager. If you can't obtain a top tier manager then there isn't a point sacking him tbh unless he really messes up this season and gets under 65 puts again.

With Rodgers in charge you would still expect a 70 point season. Failure to achieve this will result in sacking. If he gets more its progress. But I think he needs 75 to keep a job if you have klopp waiting in the wings. But that's circumstantial.

If come the half season mark and 30 points aren't on the board, cutting the losses may be a good idea as its another wasted season otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    If come the half season mark and 30 points aren't on the board, cutting the losses may be a good idea as its another wasted season otherwise.
    Agree.
    If it's obvious we're not making top 4 around, just sack him at Xmas.
    I'd rather half half a terrible season followed by half a season with a new manager getting acclimatised, than another full season of Rodgers and his hilarious inconsistency.

Things are so bad that we can't even win perhaps the most nailed on fixture of the season. It's beyond embarrassing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just saw the Coutinho miss, lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Where do you stand on Rodgers?
    The thing is that it's not just about XYZ manager in isolation, it's as much about the surrounding circumstances - who else is available, who else is willing to manage us, what is the medium term plan for the owners etc.

I don't think Rodgers is good enough as a manager currently for Liverpool FC. He's a quality attacking minded coach which means he's had some success but the position our club is in, he needs to be doing better at recruitment too - not just players but also his staff. It's fine if you want to blame the transfer committee but then why aren't our scouts also picking better players? Rodgers should know the end buck falls with him, so if one part of the club's strategy fails then it will all fail for him.

This summer that just passed, I don't think there was any credible alternative for us to sign. At least not in terms of a big name. If FSG want to pick another manager who doesn't have a reputation (much like Rodgers) then they need to decide when Roders' time is over. I think most clubs don't have enough patience with their appointments and then you often don't see the true impact of that manager.

For me though, Rodgers hasn't improved the club from top to bottom and his time at the club is tarred by how average to poor we've been in the transfer market. Why are clubs like Southampton doing well? Because time and time again they have done well in the transfer market while we've pissed money up the wall.

I'd give him this season and then sack.

(Original post by Gob Bluth)
    I think some things need to be put into perspective.

Rodgers is one of the best British managers. Whatever you say about him to get 14 wins in a row in the league is some achievement. The way he set the team up that season to get that points tally shows a talent I don't think many others would have replicated. He's however not a top tier manager and doesn't look like he ever could be.

If you sack him you need to be able to get someone better in. Monk has shown no evidence to prove he wouldn't be just like Rodgers for example. A continental manager with CL experience needs to be obtained like klopp as it doesn't appear Rodgers can take that next step as a manager. If you can't obtain a top tier manager then there isn't a point sacking him tbh unless he really messes up this season and gets under 65 puts again.

With Rodgers in charge you would still expect a 70 point season. Failure to achieve this will result in sacking. If he gets more its progress. But I think he needs 75 to keep a job if you have klopp waiting in the wings. But that's circumstantial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Who cares if he's British? LFC's aspirations is to be the best in England/Europe - we should be trying to hire whoever is the best for the job.

14 wins in a row is (and was) pointless when you're terrible for the other 2/3 of the season.

Agree with the rest though.

(Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Just saw the Coutinho miss, lmao
    Plenty of embarrassing misses to be honest.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Haven't posted since full-time, and I've made my feelings perfectly clear on the Rodgers scenario, so I'll stick to on the pitch matters.

I felt that Ings changed the game when he came on. Will he be more of a fit for a front two than either Sturridge and/or Benteke? It was great to see the latter play, but his inclusion in the starting line-up just showed Rodgers' desperation after the poor recent form. He has been out for so, so long, and starting him was a risk.

As it was, Benteke was the one who felt a tight hamstring and had to be withdrawn. It was a shame we only saw that partnership for a half, but Ings' introduction changed our game and he harried, hassled and did everything I wanted him to do when we were at Arsenal the other week.

Moreno was exceptional, too. I think that may be the best game I've ever seen him play for us, in terms of both invention and composure. He was settled and looked reinvigorated. It was refreshing - and long overdue - to see Sakho in the middle of our backline. Can is clearly at home at centre-back, too. I'm convinced that that may be his best position, to be honest. It may be a case of how long he is willing to be deployed there for, though.

Mignolet should do better on the corner, of course, and I felt Milner was awful today - but Lucas is hardly the ideal partner.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm really impressed with Moreno's attacking output this season. If he can sort his defensive abilities out he could turn out to be a Jordi Alba style fullback.

Your game today is just weird. Sturridge should have come on after half time and not start.

ReputationRep:
    6 days ago
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Can - while a good stop-gap at RCB briefly,
    Today
    Can is clearly at home at centre-back, too. I'm convinced that that may be his best position, to be honest.
    You do the math lads

ReputationRep:
    I can't see Can wanting to stay very long if he's dumped back at CB.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't posted since full-time, and I've made my feelings perfectly clear on the Rodgers scenario, so I'll stick to on the pitch matters.

I felt that Ings changed the game when he came on. Will he be more of a fit for a front two than either Sturridge and/or Benteke? It was great to see the latter play, but his inclusion in the starting line-up just showed Rodgers' desperation after the poor recent form. He has been out for so, so long, and starting him was a risk.

As it was, Benteke was the one who felt a tight hamstring and had to be withdrawn. It was a shame we only saw that partnership for a half, but Ings' introduction changed our game and he harried, hassled and did everything I wanted him to do when we were at Arsenal the other week.

Moreno was exceptional, too. I think that may be the best game I've ever seen him play for us, in terms of both invention and composure. He was settled and looked reinvigorated. It was refreshing - and long overdue - to see Sakho in the middle of our backline. Can is clearly at home at centre-back, too. I'm convinced that that may be his best position, to be honest. It may be a case of how long he is willing to be deployed there for, though.

Mignolet should do better on the corner, of course, and I felt Milner was awful today - but Lucas is hardly the ideal partner.
    I think we got used to the press from the front to help try and keep pressure off the backline considering how poor they have been with Suarez (and even Sturridge, Sterling etc) but since we've tried to play with Balotelli, Lambert and now Benteke, we've lost that high press which seems to affect us everywhere else. I guess Ings gives us that high press and energy back?

Moreno is perfectly suited to those kinds of games. I still would pick Gomez over him when we play Everton/Spurs away from him.

Sakho adds some quality in terms of passing out from the back. Lovren and Sktel just don't have that ability or range which adds more pressure on us.

(Original post by jam277)
    Yeah I'm really impressed with Moreno's attacking output this season. If he can sort his defensive abilities out he could turn out to be a Jordi Alba style fullback.

Your game today is just weird. Sturridge should have come on after half time and not start.
    I think Rodgers was desperate to try and get an early goal. Sturridge has been back in training for a bit though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
    Stop distorting the facts
    You know as well as I do that I was meaning Can at RCB wasn't a long-term option because he didn't want to play there. He was poor at Stoke on the final day in a back four, but for the majority of the season he shone.

(Original post by Zerforax)
    I think we got used to the press from the front to help try and keep pressure off the backline considering how poor they have been with Suarez (and even Sturridge, Sterling etc) but since we've tried to play with Balotelli, Lambert and now Benteke, we've lost that high press which seems to affect us everywhere else. I guess Ings gives us that high press and energy back?

I think Rodgers was desperate to try and get an early goal. Sturridge has been back in training for a bit though.
    To be honest, the lack of intensity we had around the hour mark really disappointed me. Everybody inside Anfield - and out - knew that Sturridge would be withdrawn around sixty, so it made no sense for us to not push on and try and get something before he was given a rest.

Also, Benteke was cutting an increasingly forlorn figure on the pitch as the Reds kept pinging balls in the air to him. He even pointed at his chest at one point, as if to say they should target him there if they want him to integrate other players into our attacking play.

ReputationRep:
    You know as well as I do that I was meaning Can at RCB wasn't a long-term option because he didn't want to play there. He was poor at Stoke on the final day in a back four, but for the majority of the season he shone.

To be honest, the lack of intensity we had around the hour mark really disappointed me. Everybody inside Anfield - and out - knew that Sturridge would be withdrawn around sixty, so it made no sense for us to not push on and try and get something before he was given a rest.

Also, Benteke was cutting an increasingly forlorn figure on the pitch as the Reds kept pinging balls in the air to him. He even pointed at his chest at one point, as if to say they should target him there if they want him to integrate other players into our attacking play.
    Yea the players/Rodgers hasn't worked out how to utilise Benteke properly. It's a shame he had to come off since Ings would've played well with him imo.

Lallana seems to have a bit of a spring in his step recently. Some nice footwork in the last couple of games. Does seem another player like Moreno where we see the best of him when we've pinned the opposition in their own box but the worst of him when we have limited possession of the ball.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Simon Mignolet insists he will not change his approach despite the error which cost his side victory against Norwich.

“I came for the ball, it was a whipped-in cross, and I tried to get a fist to it,” said the goalkeeper. “It’s one of those that comes out, they picked up the second ball and scored from it. It’s always disappointing to concede from a set piece, especially as we’ve been working hard on defending them this week.

“We knew they are a threat from them. We have to learn lessons from that. Unfortunately, that goal has cost us. That’s how it goes. I’ll look into my game on Monday – see what was positive and what I could have done better. That’s what I always do. The next time a ball comes in like that I’ll still come for it and try to get something on it.”

ReputationRep:
    Simon Mignolet insists he will not change his approach despite the error which cost his side victory against Norwich.

“I came for the ball, it was a whipped-in cross, and I tried to get a fist to it,” said the goalkeeper. “It’s one of those that comes out, they picked up the second ball and scored from it. It’s always disappointing to concede from a set piece, especially as we’ve been working hard on defending them this week.

“We knew they are a threat from them. We have to learn lessons from that. Unfortunately, that goal has cost us. That’s how it goes. I’ll look into my game on Monday – see what was positive and what I could have done better. That’s what I always do. The next time a ball comes in like that I’ll still come for it and try to get something on it.”
    Doesn't need to change his approach, just needs to stop being so ****

I imagine any new manager would sell him and buy a replacement.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34291066

Interesting when you listen to the interview segment. The headlines have been that Rafa was distant, Gerrard can't call him etc whereas when you listen to it he basically says yes Rafa was distant but it probably made me into a better player because I always felt the need to prove myself.

Was Gerrard always destined to be as good as he was or did Rafa help make him into that star we know? He obviously had the best of his career under Rafa.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34291066

Interesting when you listen to the interview segment. The headlines have been that Rafa was distant, Gerrard can't call him etc whereas when you listen to it he basically says yes Rafa was distant but it probably made me into a better player because I always felt the need to prove myself.

Was Gerrard always destined to be as good as he was or did Rafa help make him into that star we know? He obviously had the best of his career under Rafa.
    Gerrard says that Rafa Benitez was a poor man-manager, but he played his best football under him. Roy Keane says that Ferguson's man management was abysmal, too, but he played the best football of his entire life under SAF at United.

Gerrard is a very insecure person. 'I don't know whether he cared about me,' he says. What the ****? I don't spend my week at work wanting to hear my boss saying he cares about me. I couldn't care less.

He strikes me as needing moddy-coddling, and that's a very unhealthy thing for such a prominent part of our football club. Fair enough, he had a father figure early on in his career in the form of Houllier, but surely he had to grow up and start taking some responsibility for himself? You can't go through life being shepherded, protected, molly-coddled.

He had the armband, at his boyhood club. He was the captain, the fans chanted and sang his name every single week, so you wouldn't expect Rafa to have to try and make him seem like he was wanted. He should have known that, and frankly, I think he would have been more successful if he didn't have this desire to constantly be validated by others.

There's a sense of it in the book with the Mourinho comments, too. He kind of relishes having that adulation from others - be it Ferguson, when he called him the next Keane or whatever, to Mourinho and Zidane. He needs, and he craves, that attention and respect. Without it, he's nothing. It's a very unhealthy and insecure thing - and you have to say that if he had a 'no ****s given' attitude, he may have been more successful and wouldn't have played with fear at times.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't see that coming Gerard. You are a wimp.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.