Turn on thread page Beta

Muslim kid arrested for bringing home made clock to school watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Isn't that how the Iraq war started
    No, they just had ulterior motives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Ah, when a Muslim calls somebody else 'stupid.' Very amusing indeed.

This argument doesn't stack up either: trying to deflect blame and saying 'oh but look at the school shootings! what about them, huh?' is a fallacy.

'Innocent kids who are geniuses.' The boy was behaving suspiciously. Plain and simple. You're the one turning this into something about religion and asking that he be excused because he's sensitive to being called a terrorist.

Everyone except Muslims, whose feelings must take precedence over the safety of non-Muslims. Equality my ass.
    Stupid

ReputationRep:
    Oil *cough,cough*
    Wow are you on the Chilcot enquiry? Did you work for the SIS? Are you Tony Blair or maybe even George Bush Jr.? Otherwise how do you know? The amount of pure speculation is incredible especially coming from somebody who most likely garners their entire knowledge base from Facebook trends and tabloid newspaper articles. This brings up the point; what do you actually know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahem-)
    Stupid
    Lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by napkinsquirrel)
    Wow are you on the Chilcot enquiry? Did you work for the SIS? Are you Tony Blair or maybe even George Bush Jr.? Otherwise how do you know? The amount of pure speculation is incredible especially coming from somebody who most likely garners their entire knowledge base from Facebook trends and tabloid newspaper articles. This brings up the point; what do you actually know?
    Coming from a pan Arab. I have done my research. You have destroyed Iraq completely and have created terrorist groups. Your government has also let its own people down,countless of young people died for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    They can feel free to check it. They shouldn't however, have let the situation escalate to such a height. He is now all over the media, because he was believed to be committing a terrorist act - AND he's now going to be potentially charged for making a 'hoax bomb'. This is not justice. This is discrimination, pure and simple.
    If he is charged with a hoax bomb, that is the step too far we can both agree. Until then everything seems in order to deal with what could have been a potential bomb, regardless of his skin colour. If this was a non Muslim non Asian and the same scenario took place I would say the same thing because my priorities lie with the safety of others rather than the inconvenience of one child.

He's only on the media because he's an ethnic minority though and as a result it's seen as a massive injustice. That narrative can be spun both ways.

People calling for similar treatment for while people make me remember an incident: I remember a while ago a white male from Texas named Josh Pillault had his house raided and was sentenced to prison for making a sarcastic bomb joke over a game, which was clear sarcasm. So it's not only brown people who suffer, because that was a clear overreaction but it shows how seriously the the government takes potential bomb threats and this falls under that I'm afraid.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It makes sense that they were cautious as there have been shootings at school in America and terror attacks and it is better to be safe than sorry, especially in a public building packed with children

However i don't know why this was their first thought when they saw a clock (what did it even look like?), and once they were sure it was a clock they should have released him immedietly and apologised. Apparently he has been suspended, this is ridiculous as everyone now knows it is a clock

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    However i don't know why this was their first thought when they saw a clock (what did it even look like?),
    This is the big question

For some reason they don't want anyone to see what he built which is odd given it's the one thing that would show us they overreacted

We'll just have to wait and see

ReputationRep:
    Coming from a pan Arab. I have done my research. You have destroyed Iraq completely and have created terrorist groups. Your government has also let its own people down,countless of young people died for nothing.
    So you've managed to reach a conclusion that the Chilcot Enquiry has yet to reach? Why don't you publish a journal on what your findings on the Iraq war are? Saying you've done your "research" is pathetic; you've "skim read" some Wikipedia and Buzzfeed articles. It didn't take much for the entire Arab world to descend into depositions, terrorist splinter groups and petty power struggles after the Iraq war did it? In terms of destroying the middle-east, your own people have done a pretty good job without Western help to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    1) Its better to be safe than sorry - I don't think people at their loved ones funerals give a damn about equality legislation

2) People saying why would a little boy have a bomb are totally forgetting he could have been coerced to take it in by someone

3) The people saying its just a motherboard and batteries are clueless - as it had a power supply, it could have easily been strapped to him with another device in his school bag or located elsewhere in the school to detonate when in range. In a world where there's sick people using human bombs, you can never be too sure.

4) Not all Muslims are terrorists yet there seems to be a lot of morons in here who think this is the case. The IRA were not Muslim. Case closed. You're dismissed.

5) Racial profiling, when it comes to security, exists - get the hell over it. Romanians get profiled to prevent fraud yet none of you care about that and are more than happy for it to happen if it means your money is safe. I am all for profiling if it helps the security services, including the police force, carry out their jobs. Furthermore, in the UK, if someone was being drunk and disorderly I'd assume it was a white British person just because it tends to be white British people.

6) Charging the boy was not a bad thing, contrary to more rubbish in here. The police, based on explanations above, may have wanted to ask him in private if someone gave it to him, was he told to take it into the school, what is it, etc. - a kid taking a device into a school does not mean the kid made it. The world is full of evil manipulative people that take advantage of the vulnerable in society. This is exactly what hate preachers do so the police were well within their rights to do what they did. Obviously, now we know its just a clock as the truth has come out. Wow, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

ReputationRep:
    You were born in the UK

so when you say 'You' what you mean is 'WE'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by napkinsquirrel)
    So you've managed to reach a conclusion that the Chilcot Enquiry has yet to reach? Why don't you publish a journal on what your findings on the Iraq war are? Saying you've done your "research" is pathetic; you've "skim read" some Wikipedia and Buzzfeed articles. It didn't take much for the entire Arab world to descend into depositions, terrorist splinter groups and petty power struggles after the Iraq war did it? In terms of destroying the middle-east, your own people have done a pretty good job without Western help to be honest.
    She has some muslim friends

They tell her all she needs to know

and FYI she was born in the UK
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    This is the big question

For some reason they don't want anyone to see what he built which is odd given it's the one thing that would show us they overreacted

We'll just have to wait and see
    Yeah, i agree
    i mean if it looked bomblike then i can understand why they were suspicous but if it was just a normal looking clock arresting him is a bit odd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by So Instinct)
    If he is charged with a hoax bomb, that is the step too far we can both agree. Until then everything seems in order to deal with what could have been a potential bomb, regardless of his skin colour. If this was a non Muslim non Asian and the same scenario took place I would say the same thing because my priorities lie with the safety of others rather than the inconvenience of one child.

He's only on the media because he's an ethnic minority though and as a result it's seen as a massive injustice. That narrative can be spun both ways.

People calling for similar treatment for while people make me remember an incident: I remember a while ago a white male from Texas named Josh Pillault had his house raided and was sentenced to prison for making a sarcastic bomb joke over a game, which was clear sarcasm. So it's not only brown people who suffer, because that was a clear overreaction but it shows how seriously the the government takes potential bomb threats and this falls under that I'm afraid.
    I think this whole news story started as an innocent event has been turned into a story about prejudice for no other reason than to push an agenda for political traction. Anyone looking at this at face value can see that the police gave a measured response based upon the purported threat and that the same would have happened for anybody else of a different ethnicity who'd done the same.

ReputationRep:
    You can't be too careful. In fact, it's good that this happened, since it shows they take security very seriously, as any country should.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It makes sense that they were cautious as there have been shootings at school in America and terror attacks and it is better to be safe than sorry, especially in a public building packed with children

However i don't know why this was their first thought when they saw a clock (what did it even look like?), and once they were sure it was a clock they should have released him immedietly and apologised. Apparently he has been suspended, this is ridiculous as everyone now knows it is a clock
    It's because it didn't resemble a clock at all, it was a mess of wires a battery and an electronic board. So more or less it looked like a stereotypical realistic bomb, I'm sure if he took a literal clock into school nobody would have batted an eyelid.

Like honestly, what part of that resembles a clock enough for someone to assume it is one.
    All things said though I feel for the kid, it was an innocent school project and he wasn't to know better. It's unfortunate but a necessary evil for now.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i agree
    i mean if it looked bomblike then i can understand why they were suspicous but if it was just a normal looking clock arresting him is a bit odd
    he was warned by a different teacher not to show it around because of it's looks

It was only when it started beeping in his bag during a different class that a teacher did their job as it is school policy that

“We always ask our students and staff to immediately report if they observe any suspicious items and/or suspicious behaviour… We will always take necessary precautions to protect our students and keep our school community as safe as possible.”

But I believe he was in an English class and not sure the suitability of English teachers in identifying potential home mad explosive devices I think she did the right thing.

(Original post by Ahem-)
    Stupid
    Ah, such fine reasoning. You must have been trained by none but the best.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    he was warned by a different teacher not to show it around because of it's looks

It was only when it started beeping in his bag during a different class that a teacher did their job as it is school policy that

“We always ask our students and staff to immediately report if they observe any suspicious items and/or suspicious behaviour… We will always take necessary precautions to protect our students and keep our school community as safe as possible.”

But I believe he was in an English class and not sure the suitability of English teachers in identifying potential home mad explosive devices I think she did the right thing.

(Original post by So Instinct)
    It's because it didn't resemble a clock at all, it was a mess of wires a battery and an electronic board. So more or less it looked like the most stereotypical realistic bomb you could make, I'm sure if he took a literal clock into school nobody would have batted an eyelid.

Like honestly, what part of that resembles a clock enough for someone to assume it is one.
    All things said though I feel for the kid, it was an innocent school project and he wasn't to know better. It's unfortunate but a necessary evil for now.
    Looking at that picture (if it is genuine) i can completely understand why they did what they did, it is unfortunate that we have to be suspicous of even children but given the current situation of terrorists (not just muslims btw b4 anyone says anything) i would rather have one child arrested and maby get upset rather than a school of dead pupils. I realise that being arrested and questioned would have been intimidating and upsetting especially if you were innocent but i do understand why they did what they did

ReputationRep:
    She has some muslim friends

They tell her all she needs to know

and FYI she was born in the UK
    Cool story bro; all points extraneous to "your people" are still valid. Nice to see that your nitpicking abilities are in order.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.