Turn on thread page Beta

What is harder GCSE Geography or GCSE History watch

ReputationRep:
    I did History and Geography last year. I found History quite boring, especially American West. Geography was good. Geography is like Science at GCSE. If you are good at fact recollection then do it.
    I got an A* in History and an A in Geography.
    History you just need to develop your point fully.

Disadvantage with History is you never know how you have done.
    In my mocks I got a B (Year 10), and a D in Year 11, 5 months before the actual exam. However, I got UMS in history of 97, 100, 90, and 93, despite never getting even a high B throughout Year 10 and 11.
    Geography is just listing facts, and sometimes developing a point.

I did night before revision for History so you just need to develop your point

ReputationRep:
    ty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txhmid)
    I am currently deciding what to do for GCSE
    in geography we are doing the Edexcel B syllabus, there is a lot of topics. this year is physical geog, year 11 is human geog. we do 1 topic a lesson. history the topics are: nazi germany; cold war; civil rights; Malcolm X and britain (forgot the dates for britain). For history we are doing OCR B
    To be honest, I have looked at geog past papers, they seem easy. However I am interested in both but more in history, but for some reason I am finding it stressful to decide. Please help!
    I took geography and history, and I took OCR B history as well. Personally, I found history easier than geography.

If you are good with essays, i would say take history because all you need to do is remember key events and dates to support your argument. If you are more interested in history, you would be more motivated as well.

ReputationRep:
    true
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I did Geography, which is a lot of case studies and learning lots of information.

A lot of my friends took history, which is mainly essay writing and again learning lots of information, mainly dates and names.

At the end of the day choose what you're most interested in and are most likely to do well at.

ReputationRep:
    ok ty

ReputationRep:
    I did geography GCSE and i am telling you that there is a controlled assessment as well as two exams. the controlled assessment consists of 16 hours of silence work. You do some field work before and then you have to write all about it. and to be honest i got a c and the highest grade in the year was a b. it is very difficult. on the other hand the exams are quite easy as long as you learn the work thoroughly.

I never did history but i have heard that alot of people in my year got really good grades in year 10. there is coursework

Hope i have helped with anything and good luck with your GCSE's.

ReputationRep:
    ok

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    I take both courses because I love both of them but I would say that history, is indeed, a little harder. It requires you to remember more (data like years of events). History requires more effort too, at least for me (I write a lot when it comes to essay questions, but you get to remember mostly everything EVENTUALLY if you always express your answers and argue by writing). My teacher gives out essay questions for almost every lesson, and I write loads, but it really depends on you.

ReputationRep:
    personally I find geography to be a harder subject than history. I did both gcse's and enjoyed both thoroughly. it really depends what your aspirations are for the future though. I think instead of stressing which one to pick according to how difficult the subject is you should pick the one you enjoy most and know you would be hard working and determined in. and if you really cant choose maybe even think about doing both for gcse's

ReputationRep:
    For aqa geography is RIDICULOUSLY easy

ReputationRep:
    ok

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that I worked a lot more in history throughout the year, but when it came to revision it wasn't too hard (as at gcse you don't need loads of detail) but I didn't work very hard in geography then had to do loads of work to remember all the case studies. To be honest I think it's way more important to really think about what you'd enjoy more.

ReputationRep:
    Look at what you have done so far in Geography and History

Which did you find more difficult?

That one will probably be the hardest for you.

Different people find different things difficult.

Do the one you're most interested in. If you're interested in it, you will have more motivation to revise and do well than in a subject that you find boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txhmid)
    I am currently deciding what to do for GCSE
    in geography we are doing the Edexcel B syllabus, there is a lot of topics. this year is physical geog, year 11 is human geog. we do 1 topic a lesson. history the topics are: nazi germany; cold war; civil rights; Malcolm X and britain (forgot the dates for britain). For history we are doing OCR B
    To be honest, I have looked at geog past papers, they seem easy. However I am interested in both but more in history, but for some reason I am finding it stressful to decide. Please help!
    History isn't easy, but I absolutely loved it! If you love the subject then its so much easier. Maybe that should help your decision. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the exam board, people say you don't need specific dates but I did OCR geography, and you DO need specific dates, and geography is underrated. It is pretty hard, but hopefully you find year 11 easier because human geography requires less terminology and specific dates and stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLyricalZombi)
    Depends on the exam board, people say you don't need specific dates but I did OCR geography, and you DO need specific dates, and geography is underrated. It is pretty hard, but hopefully you find year 11 easier because human geography requires less terminology and specific dates and stuff
    Thanks but like i've finished my gcses i made the thread at the beginning of year 10 XD

ReputationRep:
    I did both and history was more difficult and generally required more work in my opinion, but I found it really interesting so it wasn't too bad for me! Geography still needs revision yes but I felt the concepts were easier to grasp - I found it valuable to do both, but history was my favourite subject at GCSE by a mile!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.