So Scottish or Welsh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    So Scottish or Welsh?
    Oh goddamn it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    Oh goddamn it.
    They aren't English accents. How about Irish?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    Really, people can tell all that from hearing a few brief seconds of conversation? If I moved to France, for example, with a friend or my family, even if I spoke French I'm pretty sure we would both prefer to speak English to each other in our own company. For all we know the guy could be here visiting his family, for a short while.

There's literally no way you can credibly go from a few seconds of conversation to "parasite" without being pretty prejudiced.
    And im pretty sure the French would spit on you. Unless you have only been in UK 5 minutes, you have no excuse not to talk the language around native English speakers. The poster you are responding too is spot on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    And im pretty sure the French would spit on you. Unless you have only been in UK 5 minutes, you have no excuse not to talk the language around native English speakers. The poster you are responding too is spot on
    I'm pretty sure they wouldn't spit on me since how the hell would they know I was even living there? Have you people ever been abroad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Expecting them to speak english at all times is pretty rude to be honest.

Don't think I will be appeasing xenophobes if that's ok.
    Xenophobic to expect people learn the language of the country they have emigrated too (Most likely at the taxpayers expense anyway.. hahaha. This is why these issues arrive.

I have no doubt you would be in the minority if this issue was put to vote to the populace.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure they wouldn't spit on me since how the hell would they know I was even living there? Have you people ever been abroad?
    Yeah the French look down with contempt at even tourists speaking their own language lol EVER BEEN ABROAD??

Its common courtesy to learn and attempt the language of the country you are in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    They aren't English accents. How about Irish?
    Yeah, yeah, look, 'you got me' - but I'm not sure what your point is. I went with 'English' when 'British' or 'Native' technically would have been more correct, but 'immigrants don't speak in English accents' is still true. The guy happened to be speaking in an English accent so I decided to specifically rule that accent out of the list of 'things immigrants sound like' and I feel like it's pretty obvious what I meant. Immigrants generally don't speak in perfect local accents.

ReputationRep:
    I canny see the video. I just came here for some reps.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! The original link for the video has been taken down so I found the same video uploaded by someone else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJui2AJMM7E

ReputationRep:
    The video is gone does anyone have an alternative link?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the French look down with contempt at even tourists speaking their own language lol EVER BEEN ABROAD??

Its common courtesy to learn and attempt the language of the country you are in
    I absolutely have never indicated otherwise and completely agree that everyone should assimilate to their host country, 100%.

I'm disagreeing with the statement "it's rude to speak a foreign language in a public space" in any and all circumstances and the subsequent inference that that person is like a parasite. That's a moronic statement.

ReputationRep:
    all evolved from africa

minority of muslims

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    Yeah, yeah, look, 'you got me' - but I'm not sure what your point is. I went with 'English' when 'British' or 'Native' technically would have been more correct, but 'immigrants don't speak in English accents' is still true. The guy happened to be speaking in an English accent so I decided to specifically rule that accent out of the list of 'things immigrants sound like' and I feel like it's pretty obvious what I meant. Immigrants generally don't speak in perfect local accents.
    I was just curious to what you deemed immigrant, as I am a 3rd generation immigrant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamthetruth)
    The video is gone does anyone have an alternative link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJui2AJMM7E

there ya go

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely have never indicated otherwise and completely agree that everyone should assimilate to their host country, 100%.

I'm disagreeing with the statement "it's rude to speak a foreign language in a public space" in any and all circumstances and the subsequent inference that that person is like a parasite. That's a moronic statement.
    Well yeah i never infered that a person speaking a foreign language in pubic is a parasite. Thats a narrative you have created in your head for reasons unbeknown to me.

Allow me to clarify: If you are sat on public transport in England surrounded by English speakers, it is rude to your fellow travellers to not speak in English unless you have just arrived to the country.

ReputationRep:
    Well yeah i never infered that a person speaking a foreign language in pubic is a parasite. Thats a narrative you have created in your head for reasons unbeknown to me.

Allow me to clarify: If you are sat on public transport in England surrounded by English speakers, it is rude to your fellow travellers to not speak in English unless you have just arrived to the country.
    No, it's a narrative put forth by the person I was originally having this conversation with...

(Original post by BaconandSauce)
    It shows little regard for the country you have chosen to move to. It shows you have little interest in being part of the culture and the community you chose to come to but simply want to live a separate life while taking advantage of the host (like a parasite)will that do?

And no, I don't think it is rude, mostly because I don't give a **** about what anyone else is doing unless it directly affects me or the safety of people around me, and also because I don't know why they are speaking another language. They could here visiting family, on holiday, newly arrived etc. and for those reasons I just ignore it since it's not worth giving a moments thought. If it's rude for them to be doing it because they have actually lived here for some time then how will I even know?

It's certainly not a justification for verbal abuse or anything like the nature of what we saw in the video.

ReputationRep:
    "No, it's a narrative put forth by the person I was originally having this conversation with..."

Oh i see. Its not one I share

ReputationRep:
    from the other hand: if you are both more fluent in other language, why should you change it to English just to please people who should not be concerned about your conversation anyway (no, not everyone who doesn't speak English in public bad mouths you and/or other people)?
    somehow British immigrants in Spain do not tend to speak Spanish to each other...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.