Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to find out who your flatmates are before you begin university?

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Would it be okay to live in Edinburgh and commuting to uni from there? are there a lot of students living off campus?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by AimeeLeask)
    Hi, just wondering if there's an athletics track at Heriot Watt? Thanks 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Aimee,

There is not an athletics track at the moment. The sports facilities at the campus have had a significant amount of investment and we do have a lot of athletes on campus but for a running track you will have to head into the city to Saughton Mains or the more famous Meadowbank Stadium which hosted the Commonwealth Games in 1970 and 1986 to get an athletics track.

Hope this has helped,
    Cheers,
    Keir
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Carly23)
    Is it possible to find out who your flatmates are before you begin university?
    Hi Carly23,

Unfortunately we haven't got a mechanism to do that for data protection issues but you will get your room number on the contract so feel free to start a thread on here to try and find your kitchen mates.

Cheers,
    Keir
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by NikitaGlybin)
    Hey!

Would it be okay to live in Edinburgh and commuting to uni from there? are there a lot of students living off campus?
    Hi Nikita,

Most of our 1st year students will live on campus so they can get to know the city better but then the vast majority of students will move into the City itself rather than staying on campus for the other 3 years.

If you know Edinburgh well it is dead easy to get to and from the city as there is a bus on campus every 5 mins during the day. A lot of our students tend to stay at the west side of the city (Gorgie, Dalry, Haymarket, Foutainbridge). It is quicker to get to campus from there than it is from the other side of the city centre

Hope this has helped,
    Cheers,
    Keir

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

I have an unconditional offer for heriot watt and I am just making my final decision of which university to firm in the next few weeks! So nervous because im terrible at making decisions! I was wondering, I looked up clubs that the uni has, and I didnt see any kind of newspaper or online blogging club as id really like to join a club like that when I come to uni and most other universities seem to have a student newspaper so I was wondering if it just was not displayed on the website!

If not I saw several other clubs that sounded good but I was just curious

Thanks for your help

Jess
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Jess1203400)
    Hiya

I have an unconditional offer for heriot watt and I am just making my final decision of which university to firm in the next few weeks! So nervous because im terrible at making decisions! I was wondering, I looked up clubs that the uni has, and I didnt see any kind of newspaper or online blogging club as id really like to join a club like that when I come to uni and most other universities seem to have a student newspaper so I was wondering if it just was not displayed on the website!

If not I saw several other clubs that sounded good but I was just curious

Thanks for your help

Jess
    Hi Jess,

That's great that you have an unconditional offer :banana:

We don't actually have a student newspaper right now but you'd be more than welcome to start one, anyone can start a Society with our Student Union, more info here. Alternatively you can explore the current range of Societies here.

If you're interested in blogging when you're here then of course that would be brilliant, and we recently asked students to make a vlog about student life - you can see them here.

So if you do produce anything then get in touch and we'd be delighted to help you promote it.

Good luck with your decision and hope to see you in September.

Cheers

Sophie

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I also have the same question/problem. I haven't heard back from Heriot Watt, and I have applied more than 3 weeks ago. Is there anything I need to do in order to fix this or do I still have to wait??

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I have sent an application to the Heriot Watt campus in Dubai and I dont know if it works the same way as the UK one but I hope someone here can help me tho
    I had sent the application about 2+ weeks ago and i still havent heard anything from the university other than they have received my application(which was sent to me like few days after i sent it).

Does this mean I am not accepted or do I have to wait longer for more replies??

Thanks!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by aqila.kumar)
    Hey,

I also have the same question/problem. I haven't heard back from Heriot Watt, and I have applied more than 3 weeks ago. Is there anything I need to do in order to fix this or do I still have to wait??

Thank you.
    (Original post by aqila.kumar)
    Hey,

I have sent an application to the Heriot Watt campus in Dubai and I dont know if it works the same way as the UK one but I hope someone here can help me tho
    I had sent the application about 2+ weeks ago and i still havent heard anything from the university other than they have received my application(which was sent to me like few days after i sent it).

Does this mean I am not accepted or do I have to wait longer for more replies??

Thanks!
    HI Aqila,

Apologies for the delay, the Dubai office works slightly differently but don't take it as a negative if you haven't heard anything, it just means we are considering your application. My colleague over in Dubai will be able to help you, if you send an email to Shahzaib on [email protected].

Cheers,
    Keir

ReputationRep:
    Would heriot Watt or univeristy of Nottingham be better? Cant decide between the two please help!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by mon124)
    Would heriot Watt or univeristy of Nottingham be better? Cant decide between the two please help!
    Hi mon124,

I guess whether a university is 'better' really depends on what suits your needs the most. Maybe if you can share a bit more about your expectations for life at uni, what you're planning to study etc then we can try and give a flavour of life at Heriot-Watt to help you decide. It's a really tricky and important decision so we want to support you :hmmmm:

Cheers

Sophie

ReputationRep:
    Good evening!

This is a pretty urgent question. I am currently doing my APs (A-level equivalent) exams and I have just realised that there is something bad going on with me health-wise...

I am scheduled for my doctors appointment tomorrow and if my results are bad – I will have to undergo a surgery and miss both my Calculus and Physics exams...

Any suggestions? Will the university be kind enough to accept my predicted grades?

Thank you
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by NikitaGlybin)
    Good evening!

This is a pretty urgent question. I am currently doing my APs (A-level equivalent) exams and I have just realised that there is something bad going on with me health-wise...

I am scheduled for my doctors appointment tomorrow and if my results are bad – I will have to undergo a surgery and miss both my Calculus and Physics exams...

Any suggestions? Will the university be kind enough to accept my predicted grades?

Thank you
    Hi NikitaGlybin

Sorry to hear about your health problems. Do hope everything works out OK. In terms of the admission policy - I will send you a DM and see if we can put you in touch with the department you hold an offer with.

Take care

Sophie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heriot-Watt University)
    Hi guys

I know a lot of you are making your mind up right now about 2016 UCAS applications, so here's a chance for you to ask any questions you might have about Heriot-Watt.
    From student life to accommodation or great things about Edinburgh we'll try and come back to you with useful advice so fire away!
    Cheers

Heriot-Watt Student Room Team (Keir, Sophie and Carole):dancing2:
    Hi! I've received an e-mail from Heriot-Watt telling me that they offer me a place for a MSc. programme.The e-mail mentioned that in order to respond to my offer I should log in my myHWU page.
    I want to accept the offer so I logged in this site but I hadn't any new e-mail to inform me that the offer has been accepted or something like that. Can anyone tell me what's the procedure of accepting an offer? Thanks a lot!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by pelagiakakl)
    Hi! I've received an e-mail from Heriot-Watt telling me that they offer me a place for a MSc. programme.The e-mail mentioned that in order to respond to my offer I should log in my myHWU page.
    I want to accept the offer so I logged in this site but I hadn't any new e-mail to inform me that the offer has been accepted or something like that. Can anyone tell me what's the procedure of accepting an offer? Thanks a lot!
    Hi pelagiakakl,

Congratulations on your offer! :banana:

Could you please send us a DM with your details (name, email, programme) and I will look into this for you?

Thanks,

Carole

ReputationRep:
    hello!

I've applied for BSc Psychology via extra and was wondering how long it usually takes you guys to get back to extra candidates?
    I called up admissions just before applying to make sure the course was still in extra, and now i'm just patiently (aka refreshing UCAS every 3 seconds) waiting for your decision
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by claregowrie)
    hello!

I've applied for BSc Psychology via extra and was wondering how long it usually takes you guys to get back to extra candidates?
    I called up admissions just before applying to make sure the course was still in extra, and now i'm just patiently (aka refreshing UCAS every 3 seconds) waiting for your decision
    Hi Clare,

Every department is a little different, we try and get back to everyone within about a week so hopefully you will hear soon, however in some cases it can take a bit longer. If you are worried about your application you can send an email to the admissions tutor at [email protected].

Good luck with your application and if you have any questions about the university feel free to get back in touch on here.
    Cheers,
    Keir

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heriot-Watt University)
    Hi Clare,

Every department is a little different, we try and get back to everyone within about a week so hopefully you will hear soon, however in some cases it can take a bit longer. If you are worried about your application you can send an email to the admissions tutor at [email protected].

Good luck with your application and if you have any questions about the university feel free to get back in touch on here.
    Cheers,
    Keir
    Received and accepted my offer yesterday, thanks for your help! :happy2:
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by claregowrie)
    Received and accepted my offer yesterday, thanks for your help! :happy2:
    Brilliant news!!! Congrats!:banana:

Good luck with your exams and we hope to see you in September.

Cheers,
    Keir

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 12, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.