Turn on thread page Beta

Why are more people becoming Vegetarian? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Odd, innit?

ReputationRep:
    As others have said: a combination of our country being wealthy enough for us to think about the moral implications of our actions, and young people generally having much easier access to information. This means that people are researching and educating themselves quicker and more frequently, leading more people to stop eating meat.

People saying "we are omnivores though", as if that has anything to do with it, is silly. Something being natural does not make it morally right, just like something being unnatural doesn't make it morally wrong.
    It's "natural" to murder, or rape. If we are going purely on human instinct. It's also unnatural to use a computer, or to take drugs to prolong our lives when ill. Something being natural or unnatural has no implications on whether it is morally right or wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    *Tries to present claim of fact as opinion.*

*Claims mis-treatment when presented with logical rebuttals and actual facts.*
    I explicitly said in my personal opinion. Is really that difficult to understand that I was giving my opinion? I wasn't claiming mis-treatment either, I was saying I don't lie to people for that I don't lie for the sake of being 'polite'. As if that had anything to do with you anyway. Ass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrimeEpoch)
    I explicitly said in my personal opinion. Is really that difficult to understand that I was giving my opinion? I wasn't claiming mis-treatment either, I was saying I don't lie to people for that I don't lie for the sake of being 'polite'. As if that had anything to do with you anyway. Ass.
    But you did lie though when you said that you were not bothered to look at the percentages of vegetarianism of different countries. You did look at them!

ReputationRep:
    There are two types of opinion:
    1) The world is flat.

2) Cake is nice:
    I enjoy eating cake.

Which was yours? An actual opinion, or something that can be wrong?
    You call me ass? I say neigh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    But you did lie though when you said that you were not bothered to look at the percentages of vegetarianism of different countries. You did look at them!
    Any particular reason you think I looked at them? I didn't, I'm no liar.

ReputationRep:
    Any particular reason you think I looked at them? I didn't, I'm no liar.
    You should have, if you didn't. That was the point of whole discussion.

ReputationRep:
    You should have, if you didn't. That was the point of whole discussion.
    Sigh

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how people can give up meat. Have you all never tasted chicken before :eek3::eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Sigh
    No? You did bother to look up my profile to see what I have got to offer to you so that you could hold it against me but you didn't bother to open a link in front of your eyes? It doesn't make sense though.

ReputationRep:
    No? You did bother to look up my profile to see what I have got to offer to you so that you could hold it against me but you didn't bother to open a link in front of your eyes? It doesn't make sense though.
    I can't recall looking on your profile or trying to hold anything against you. Please stop accusing me of being a bad person for holding an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with becoming a vegetarian is iron deficiency, not protein, which you can provide in your diet if you have enough variety of vegetables a day. Also, the other problem is that the iron in vegetables is not well absorbed by the body for which I tend to take supplements. Cereals also provide enough of your daily iron requirement.
    The same % of meat eaters suffer from anemia as vegetarians. The same % of meat eaters suffer from anemia as vegans.
    I'm not sure why people think iron is hard for vegetarians to get.

ReputationRep:
    The same % of meat eaters suffer from anemia as vegetarians. The same % of meat eaters suffer from anemia as vegans.
    I'm not sure why people think iron is hard for vegetarians to get.
    I'm not saying that it's hard, but that meat, especially red meat, provides a significant amount of iron in the diet. This is what I read in an introduction to nutrition book.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying that it's hard, but that meat, especially red meat, provides a significant amount of iron in diet. This is what I read in an introduction to nutrition book.
    That has nothing to do with the fact that you'd have to go out of your way in most vegan diets to have an iron deficiency:P .

Just to show you the silliness of you conclusion lets take this pretend example:P :
    1 gram of meat product 1 contains 10,000,000% of your RDA of nutrient Y (and lets say is worth 10 kcals).
    1 gram of vegetable product 1 only contains 10,000% of your RDA of nutrient Y (and lets say is worth 8 kcals).

Nutrient Y has been tested with upto 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000 etc. % and has no known toxic effects.

Unless one of these sources is not bioavailable, it doesn't matter which one you take. Just because the first is better, it doesn't follow that people who don't take it are more likely to be deficient in it:P .

ReputationRep:
    That has nothing to do with the fact that you'd have to go out of your way in most vegan diets to have an iron deficiency:P .

Just to show you the silliness of you conclusion lets take this pretend example:P :
    1 gram of meat product 1 contains 10,000,000% of your RDA of nutrient Y (and lets say is worth 10 kcals).
    1 gram of vegetable product 1 only contains 10,000% of your RDA of nutrient Y (and lets say is worth 8 kcals).

Nutrient Y has been tested with upto 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000 etc. % and has no known toxic effects.

Unless one of these sources is not bioavailable, it doesn't matter which one you take. Just because the first is better, it doesn't follow that people who don't take it are more likely to be deficient in it:P .
    That's true, and this was almost my point basically. I was trying to say that the deficiency resulting from inadequate amount meat intake can easily be reduced by a diet containing a variety of fruits and vegetables.

ReputationRep:
    That's true, and this was almost my point basically. I was trying to say that the deficiency resulting from inadequate amount meat intake can easily be reduced by a diet containing a variety of fruits and vegetables.
    Drink [white? I think] wine and eat oranges. Avoid tea and caffeine around meal times. You'll be fine .

ReputationRep:
    Drink [white? I think] wine and eat oranges. Avoid tea and caffeine around meal times. You'll be fine .
    Yeah, a couple of glasses of wine in the evening doesn't sound bad regardless ...True, they tend to reduce the iron absorption.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, a couple of glasses of wine in the evening doesn't sound bad regardless ...True, they tend to reduce the iron absorption.
    I can't remember if it's red or white that is an enhance, and the other is an inhibitor, but I *think* it's white that enhances:P .

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember if it's red or white that is an enhance, and the other is an inhibitor, but I *think* it's white that enhances:P .
    I'm not really sure about that but thanks for your advice . I will probably have them after my meal so that shouldn't be an issue

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.