Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    Yes, I don't use candles, Yes and yes. . You'd be surprised how often I read ingredients of everything I buy. It is an obsession!
    Given the number of things that contain animal products I find it hard to imagine you avoid them all. Things you'd never even imagine like plastic bags, tires, fireworks and even computers all can contain animal products

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    Given the number of things that contain animal products I find it hard to imagine you avoid them all. Things you'd never even imagine like plastic bags, tires, fireworks and even computers all can contain animal products

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I feel this misses the point of veganism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    I feel this misses the point of veganism.
    It just demonstrates the pointlessness of it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    It just demonstrates the pointlessness of it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, it doesn't. It demonstrates that unfortunately it isn't possible to ever be 100% vegan.
    Trigger warning: Sexual assault
    Spoiler:
    Show

One can't stop all rape from happening, but that doesn't mean rape should be legalised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    I tried veganism and became so vitamin D and B12 deficient that I now have lifelong bone and tendon problems. It had started when I became vegetarian as I ate no fish and little dairy, but exercise + veganism destroyed my hands. It will probably never get better, and I can never do high impact exercise again which means I'll probably become fat as I get older. I really really regret it.

It isn't healthy for everyone unfortunately. Specially those of us who have *******sed up joints to begin with.

And before you start on balanced diets vitamin supplemented food is really expensive, and impractical to source depending on where you live.
    Learn to ride a bike! :bike:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    Did you know meat is dead animal flesh? It was once a living thing with a brain and feelings but was deprived the chance of a happy life so it could be killed so you could eat it. Don't you feel sorry for the animal at all?
    I try and not think about the suffering that the animal had to go through I'm too busy enjoying my non-veggie meal

The only meat I eat is fish. I don't enjoy steak or pork or lamb or anything like that, simply because I dislike the taste and the texture, and because I find it fatty/gristly.

This doesn't mean I'm going to belittle someone for ordering a burger.

I'm not going to view them as a rapist or a murderer; I respect their choice because, at the end of the day, it's their diet, not mine. It's the same with veganism and vegetarianism.

Humans, like most primates, are omnivores; we can process meat and/or vegetables, depending on preference. Personally I'd prefer not to rely on supplements but if that's your way of doing things, then fair enough.

Instead of insulting people who eat meat, I think it would be better to focus on changing the farms themselves. Make the conditions better and the treatment more humane. That's something I will gladly support.

I hate it when people try to force their beliefs/lifestyle onto others:

"I only follow *insert religion* and if you don't do as I say, you're a sinful abomination!"

"I only eat *insert food* and if you don't do as I say, you're a filthy murderer!"

"I only wear *insert brand* and if you don't do as I say, you're an unfashionable loser!"

People like that disgust me. They can't seem to grasp the fact that their word isn't law.

The bottom line is that you're free to believe whatever you want, eat whatever you want, live however you want.
    However, the moment you start forcing your habits onto others, causing harm to your neighbours, or taking away the rights of minorities...

Then we're going to have a problem with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbsoluteAnarchy)
    The only meat I eat is fish. I don't enjoy steak or pork or lamb or anything like that, simply because I dislike the taste and the texture, and because I find it fatty/gristly.

This doesn't mean I'm going to belittle someone for ordering a burger.

I'm not going to view them as a rapist or a murderer; I respect their choice because, at the end of the day, it's their diet, not mine. It's the same with veganism and vegetarianism.

Humans, like most primates, are omnivores; we can process meat and/or vegetables, depending on preference. Personally I'd prefer not to rely on supplements but if that's your way of doing things, then fair enough.

Instead of insulting people who eat meat, I think it would be better to focus on changing the farms themselves. Make the conditions better and the treatment more humane. That's something I will gladly support.

I hate it when people try to force their beliefs/lifestyle onto others:

"I only follow *insert religion* and if you don't do as I say, you're a sinful abomination!"

"I only eat *insert food* and if you don't do as I say, you're a filthy murderer!"

"I only wear *insert brand* and if you don't do as I say, you're an unfashionable loser!"

People like that disgust me. They can't seem to grasp the fact that their word isn't law.

The bottom line is that you're free to believe whatever you want, eat whatever you want, live however you want.
    However, the moment you start forcing your habits onto others, causing harm to your neighbours, or taking away the rights of minorities...

Then we're going to have a problem with you.
    I know right!
    The other day someone told me off for having slaves. If I want to have slaves who the **** do they think they are! Keep their opinions to themselves innit.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I know right!
    The other day someone told me off for having slaves. If I want to have slaves who the **** do they think they are! Keep their opinions to themselves innit.
    Slaves are always fun

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Comparing eating meat to owning slaves or rape :facepalm2: - the former is a natural part of our life, the other two aren't found in primate societies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Comparing eating meat to owning slaves or rape :facepalm2: - the former is a natural part of our life, the other two aren't found in primate societies.
    :facepalm2: making the naturalistic fallacy because: why not????

(Original post by there's too much love;[url="tel:60195597")
    60195597[/url]]I know right!
    Slavery would contradict the limitations of what I said.

"the moment you start forcing your habits onto others, causing harm to your neighbours, or taking away the rights of minorities..."

You should read a message in its entirety before replying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbsoluteAnarchy)
    Slavery would contradict the limitations of what I said.

"the moment you start forcing your habits onto others, causing harm to your neighbours, or taking away the rights of minorities..."

You should read a message in its entirety before replying.
    But you haven't shown the relevant moral difference between human and animal moral subjects.
    One would assume if I replaced the meat industry in its current form to one where I bred humans to be killed an eaten you would speak up.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    :facepalm2: making the naturalistic fallacy because: why not????
    Just go back and check what the naturalistic fallacy is, then kindly point out where I suggested something was morally right because it's pleasurable or desirable... :facepalm2:

Edit: For the record, what I suspect you meant is an appeal to nature, but I didn't say eating meat was right because it was natural, I said that it's not comparable to slavery, because it's a biological function and slavery isn't.

ReputationRep:
    No, it doesn't. It demonstrates that unfortunately it isn't possible to ever be 100% vegan.
    One can't stop all rape from happening, but that doesn't mean rape should be legalised.
    Of course it's possible but most people seem to either choose to be blissfully ignorant or see the effort of cutting out all products containing animals products too much. For example most computers contain animals products but you can buy a Mac which doesn't. You can walk instead of taking a bus which uses tires containing animal products.

Your example is wrong, had I said 'we can't stop all people eating meat so you might as well eat meat' then it would have been relevant

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by there's too much love;[url="tel:60196073")
    60196073[/url]]But you haven't shown the relevant moral difference between human and animal moral subjects.
    One would assume if I replaced the meat industry in its current form to one where I bred humans to be killed an eaten you would speak up.
    Eating our own species would have a negative impact on the continuation of humanity and society as a whole.
    Lions don't tend to eat other lions. Of course, spiders eat each other but there's the fact that cannibalism is another practice that contradicts the points I made before.

"causing harm to your neighbours"

I'm pretty sure that eating someone qualifies as doing them harm.

If I've misunderstood what you're trying to say, can you simplify things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    I didn't know you could be a professional vegan these days? They make a sport out of anything now...
    I've thought this ever since I read an article by a "blowjobologist" in Look magazine. What a job.

ReputationRep:
    The best argument against veganism compares honey to sugar cane. Which is most destructive OP?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ILovePancakes)
    I've thought this ever since I read an article by a "blowjobologist" in Look magazine. What a job.
    Are you sure that's not one of those fake sleaze jobs like boob inspector?

ReputationRep:
    i'm not even joking i tried to be vegan and it worked for almost a day until i accidentally ordered chicken cottage

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.