Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

should Infant Circumssion be banned? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: should infant Circumssion be banned?
    Yes!
    76.11%
    NO!!!
    23.89%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    How is it mutilation? -_- so dramatic. It's only the removal of foreskin.
    It's only the completely unnecessarily permanent removal of a sensitive area of an infants body without their consent?

It's not only for religious purposes. Also, it is completely within the parents rights to consent to any legal procedures for their child so if they choose to have their baby boy circumcised, so be it. Nobody is telling you to get your kid circumcised so you shouldn't be telling others
    "Nobody is telling you to sexually abuse your child, so you shouldn't be telling others not to."

ReputationRep:
    It's not only for religious purposes. Also, it is completely within the parents rights to consent to any legal procedures for their child so if they choose to have their baby boy circumcised, so be it. Nobody is telling you to get your kid circumcised so you shouldn't be telling others
    But an infant isn't religious, it's obviously incapable of understanding the concepts behind religion. If you have to be 16 years old to consent to sex, surely you have to be at least that old to have a legitimate opinion on what matters in life, and to consent having part of your **** chopped off for any reason besides medical necessity. IMO saying "I'm Jewish so therefore my infant is Jewish" is indicative of a disturbing attitude where your child is viewed as your property

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Can a parent consent to the castration of their child? It has the health benefit of avoiding testicular cancer and all STDs...
    Castration prevents the child from procreating whereas circumcision does not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Your circumcision is showing.
    Gosh, you sure put me in my place :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    It's only the completely unnecessarily permanent removal of a sensitive area of an infants body without their consent?

"Nobody is telling you to sexually abuse your child, so you shouldn't be telling others not to."
    What benefit does sexual abuse carry? Is sexual abuse legal? I don't know why people keep using stupid examples

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    We're dicussing whether something should be legal or not. Stating that one thing is legal and one isn't bypasses the whole discussion.

Your circumcision is showing.
    I obviously think circumcision should remain legal. It's not a legal requirement, so if you don't agree with it then you don't do it. Simple

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xGCSE_Studentx)
    I assure you I am not brainwashed I just passionately accept my religion which is seen as a threat nowadays I understand that to a certain extent
    If the parents are religious then they would choose to circumcise but some parents don't so they shouldn't be forced to do anything at the end of the day religion is just guidance
    Circumcision isn't mandatory, it's Sunnah.

ReputationRep:
    What benefit does sexual abuse carry? Is sexual abuse legal? I don't know why people keep using stupid examples
    What benefit does circumcision have?

Whether something is illegal is completely irrelevant to whether it should be illegal.

I obviously think circumcision should remain legal. It's not a legal requirement, so if you don't agree with it then you don't do it. Simple
    Completely agree. If you agree with it, have yourself circumcised. But don't subject your child to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivy.98)
    But an infant isn't religious, it's obviously incapable of understanding the concepts behind religion. If you have to be 16 years old to consent to sex, surely you have to be at least that old to have a legitimate opinion on what matters in life, and to consent having part of your **** chopped off for any reason besides medical necessity. IMO saying "I'm Jewish so therefore my infant is Jewish" is indicative of a disturbing attitude where your child is viewed as your property
    I just said it's not only for religious purposes. Some non-religious people opt for circumcision. That's their choice.

It's perfectly normal for children to be born into a religion. Big whoop?

It's hardly chopping off part of your ****! It's just removing skin!

I didn't say parents own their children :s
    You sure implied it pretty strongly:

By definition, mutilation is to injure severely or disfigure. I don't see how make circumcision does that?

They do it to their own children! It's the parents choice. If done professionally, there's nothing wrong with it.
    To say that it's the parents' choice to mutilate their children's genitals regardless of the fact that they cannot consent to it is to imply that they have the kind of rights over children that owners have over property.

the difference is, one act is legal whereas the other is not -_-
    Is that really all you see wrong with either of those things? That it's illegal? So if child sex abuse was no longer a crime tomorrow, it would be okay?

Given your near-constant use of '-_-' on this thread implying an (unjustified) exasperation with the people trying to reason with you, you probably believe that your viewpoint is so obviously correct that you make arguments like 'it's legal, so it's okay.'

Unless you have any real arguments, do everyone on this thread a favour and stop talking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    What benefit does circumcision have?

Whether something is illegal is completely irrelevant to whether it should be illegal.

Completely agree. If you agree with it, have yourself circumcised. But don't subject your child to it.
    Benefits:
    Reduces the risk of STDs & UTIs
    No complications with foreskin in later life (discomfort from tight/sensitive foreskin/ Phimosis)
    Makes for better hygiene eg removes smegma
    which also reduces the risk of infection if dirt and dead cells build up in the foreskin

And the prize for Dumbest Statement (yet) goes to... cherryred90s!

ReputationRep:
    Originaly I said no, you shouldnt make that choice for someone else even if they are you child but then again the parents make alot of choices that affect there child. What to feed it, where to send it to school, ect so why shouldnt they make that choice. Also if they did decide to have it done it would have been easier to have been done when a child because they dont remember it. But its not reversable so why make the choice for the child they may not choose to be the same religion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    You sure implied it pretty strongly:

To say that it's the parents' choice to mutilate their children's genitals regardless of the fact that they cannot consent to it is to imply that they have the kind of rights over children that owners have over property.

Is that really all you see wrong with either of those things? That it's illegal? So if child sex abuse was no longer a crime tomorrow, it would be okay?

Given your near-constant use of '-_-' on this thread implying an (unjustified) exasperation with the people trying to reason with you, you probably believe that your viewpoint is so obviously correct that you make arguments like 'it's legal, so it's okay.'

Unless you have any real arguments, do everyone on this thread a favour and stop talking.
    Parents are legally responsible for the children, and are obligated to make decisions for the kids until they are able to do so themselves. You can take that how you want.

Child sex serves absolutely no purpose. All it does is to take away the innocence of a child and to damage them both physically and mentally. Not to mention, it can leave devastating effects on any future relationships. I don't know why you'd compare sexual abuse with circumcision.

It's not a legal requirement, nobody is telling any of you that you must circumcise your child. If you don't agree with it, then don't do it! Don't tell other people what they should be doing just because you have an opinion about it.

I understand why a parent would want to have their child circumcised, I also understand why they wouldn't.

There you go again, telling people what they should/should not be doing. If I want to comment about this, I can. If you don't like what I say, stop quoting me!

Reduces the risk of STDs & UTIs
    Correlation does not imply causation.

No complications with foreskin in later life (discomfort from tight/sensitive foreskin/ Phimosis)
    Great, let's also remove the child's brain while we're at it so that it never has to experience discomfort of any kind, let alone discomfort in their genitals.

Makes for better hygiene eg removes smegma
    Why not cut off the child's hands too? And their arms and feet too so that they never have to undertake such a hefty task as washing themselves properly.

Even if these laughable excuses for 'benefits' were true, it would not do anything to suggest that male genital mutilation should be tolerated by the law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    And the prize for Dumbest Statement (yet) goes to... cherryred90s!
    lol, but it literally is removing skin. stop quoting me

Parents are legally responsible for the children, and are obligated to make decisions for the kids until they are able to do so themselves. You can take that how you want.
    Your repeated reference to the law does nothing to strengthen your case; the debate is over what the law should be, not its current applications.

Bold bit: This doesn't apply to unnecessary decisions like genital mutilation, which has no benefits.

Child sex serves absolutely no purpose. All it does is to take away the innocence of a child and to damage them both physically and mentally. Not to mention, it can leave devastating effects on any future relationships . I don't know why you'd compare sexual abuse with circumcision
    The same could be said for genital mutilation.

I didn't compare them; I simply highlighted the ludicrousness of your argument in implying that parents have the right to mutilate their children's genitals simply because they're the parents.

I recommend leaving before you embarrass yourself further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    No one in this thread has been able to demonstrate why this is relevant to infant circumcision.

No one is arguing against circumcision to counteract health problems. But circumcision in anticipation of something which affects <1% of males with foreskins is ludicrous.

I don't understand this one. Cleaning is not difficult. Circumcision allowing one to be lazy is not a good argument for it.
    The benefits are aimed primary for the future. Parents choose to circumcise their kids as babies because it's less painful/easily forgotten compared to doing so at 18 or whenever.

It's rare, but if you can significantly reduce the risks, why not? It's not detrimental to your health so in conjunction with the other benefits I mentioned, it's an added bonus. It's something your child won't have to worry about in the future.

It may be difficult to completely remove dirt and dead skin cells that reside in the foreskin, especially as a small child/preteen or even as a teenager.

lol, but it literally is removing skin. stop quoting me
    And the skin is presumably not part of the penis? I think I'm pretty justified in calling that dumb.

No thanks, I'll keep quoting stupid people making stupid arguments to remind them of their stupidity. To call the foreskin 'just skin', even ignoring the stupid assertion that it's not part of the penis, is to diminish its function and impact.

ReputationRep:
    I am very much anti-circumcision (except in cases of adult choice/medical necessity) but it's hard to imagine any government banning it in reality - or at least not in the near future.

I watched that episode of Sex and the City the other day where Charlotte dates a non-circumcised man and it made me really uncomfortable how backwards/offensive it was (she doesn't like it and makes a lot of grossed-out remarks to her friends, then the man opts to get a circumcision purely because other women have had a similar reaction).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.