Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What people also forget is that it won't translate into savings for a few years as the tax will go into the pockets of the manufacturer and retailer. The savings will come via holding off price increases a tad longer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    What?!!! Are they having a laugh, periods are something out of our control
    And pooping is in our control? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Do you agree with the tax on female sanitary items? I think it's absolutely ridiculous. They are essential for us females for at least 30years of our lives so why should we be taxed? I'm sure most girls would agree that we'd much rather not have periods and still be fertile, but that's not our choice. Sanitary towels and tampons are already expensive, they should be lowering the price, not increase the price by adding tax.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-10045629.html
    Why are you targetting female sanatary items and not sanatary items in general.

Why is there never uproar at the toilet roll tax...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    And pooping is in our control? :/
    When you go to a public toilet, either in a restaurant/club/bar/cinema.. anywhere really, toilet tissue is always there and guess what, it's free! That therefore suggests that it's a pretty essential item if it's free on demand. Pooping and peeling are out of our control, periods are also out of our control.

ReputationRep:
    When you go to a public toilet, either in a restaurant/club/bar/cinema.. anywhere really, toilet tissue is always there and guess what, it's free! That therefore suggests that it's a pretty essential item if it's free on demand. Pooping and peeling are out of our control, periods are also out of our control.
    So why is there never a thread about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So why is there never a thread about it?
    About what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILovePancakes)
    Because they are a luxury - we could always free flow we choose to wear them.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This is an argument I once saw used. No uterus no opinion :hand:
    Could you just imagine every woman who is on their period not wearing a tampon or sanitary towel? Too much mess and smell, thank you. Not to mention we would have to keep buying trousers and underwear all the time! Lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armastan)
    Could you just imagine every woman who is on their period not wearing a tampon or sanitary towel? Too much mess and smell, thank you. Not to mention we would have to keep buying trousers and underwear all the time! Lmao
    I Suppose we should sit on our toilet for 5 days out of each month and ignore our responsibilities

ReputationRep:
    I Suppose we should sit on our toilet for 5 days out of each month and ignore our responsibilities
    9 days for me, my periods last forever! D:
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    And in some piblic toilets, you can buy tampons and towels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armastan)
    9 days for me, my periods last forever! D:
    Wow! And I thought 5 days were a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    And in some piblic toilets, you can buy tampons and towels.
    Key word - buy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILovePancakes)
    Because they are a luxury - we could always free flow we choose to wear them.

Spoiler:
    Show
    This is an argument I once saw used. No uterus no opinion :hand:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So If I was a woman who had her uterus removed because of etc.menorrhagia, ovarian/uterine cancer, fibroid etc. your saying that those women have no opinion?!
    Tut tut.

ReputationRep:
    The point was that toilet roll is taxable at 20%, yet nobody demands it to be untaxed.

If youre suggesting sanitary towels and tampons should be free in toilets, i would agree. But thats a descision made by individual establishments.

ReputationRep:
    I don't disagree with the fact that sanitary products shouldnt be classed as a luxury. I just hate the arguments that go with it, ive seen it a little bit in this thread but mostly on twitter, people arguing that this is a tax on being a woman or 'this is men trying to oppress us' that sort of argument.

Sanitary products are taxed at 5%, gas and electric 5%, OAP mobility aids 5%. Many essential items are taxed, it's not the patriarchy keeping women down it's just a bull**** way of classifying things for VAT purposes.

Also, I was unaware that this was an EU rule could someone clarify for me. Does the EU say that they should be taxed at 5% or just that they should be subject to VAT?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and it has been taxed. What's your point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Yes, and it has been taxed. What's your point?
    my point is that toilet tissue must be classed as essential because it's available for free when you go to a public toilet, whereas sanitary items are not.

ReputationRep:
    my point is that toilet tissue must be classed as essential because it's available for free when you go to a public toilet, whereas sanitary items are not.
    But we're talking about taxation. VAT is payable on toilet paper, just as it is payable on sanitary products.

If a bar/restaurant/whatever decides to provide toilet paper they have paid tax on it. They do this because obviously it would be stupid to expect customers to bring their own, whereas it seems pretty sensible to expect women to deal with their own sanitary needs.

ReputationRep:
    The whole luxury debate is pretty invalid as there are lots of things which attract VAT that are clearly not luxury. It's just another annoying tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    But we're talking about taxation. VAT is payable on toilet paper, just as it is payable on sanitary products.

If a bar/restaurant/whatever decides to provide toilet paper they have paid tax on it. They do this because obviously it would be stupid to expect customers to bring their own, whereas it seems pretty sensible to expect women to deal with their own sanitary needs.
    We're also talking about luxury, therefore it's relevant.

Almost all, if not all bars/restaurants provide their customers with toilet tissue.

Why are women expected to bring their own? Everyone knows we need them for a week every month, it's not a secret. If we're comparing this to toilet tissue then why aren't we treating them the same?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.