13.11%
    St George's
    5.57%
    Other
    25.80%
    I dont know :')
    4.13%

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Scottish medical school applicant for 2017 so I sat national 5 exams and are sitting my highers next year!

National 5s: 8 As (highest you can get, we don't get A*)

Highers: currently studying these; biology, chemistry, maths, English and history

Voluntary work: preparing to start volunteering at my local hospital within the next few weeks

Work experience: have a few days placement at a hospital lined up next month and also hoping to get a GP placement arranged at one point

Extracurricular: school council, school spirit committe, Malawi committee (plan to travel out in summer 2017), dancing for a while and I'm also a school prefect!

Do you think my profile looks good so far? I'm hopefully going to build on it more and more throughout the year until October but do you think I have a good start?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futuredoctorx)
    I'm a Scottish medical school applicant for 2017 so I sat national 5 exams and are sitting my highers next year!

National 5s: 8 As (highest you can get, we don't get A*)

Highers: currently studying these; biology, chemistry, maths, English and history

Voluntary work: preparing to start volunteering at my local hospital within the next few weeks

Work experience: have a few days placement at a hospital lined up next month and also hoping to get a GP placement arranged at one point

Extracurricular: school council, school spirit committe, Malawi committee (plan to travel out in summer 2017), dancing for a while and I'm also a school prefect!

Do you think my profile looks good so far? I'm hopefully going to build on it more and more throughout the year until October but do you think I have a good start?

Good stuff. Keep it up and you're well on track

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'll be starting Medicine at St Andrews Uni this September - any questions fire away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmed16)
    Hi guys, I'll be starting Medicine at St Andrews Uni this September - any questions fire away!
    Hi congrats! St Andrews is my first choice of uni. Do you mind me asking what your grades look like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saramokbel)
    Hi congrats! St Andrews is my first choice of uni. Do you mind me asking what your grades look like?
    Yeah, no problem! I'm Scottish so I got 5A's at Higher in S5, and 3 A's (2 Advanced + crash Higher) in S6! 😊

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm a first year medical student, and I applied only last year, so if you have any questions about the process of getting into medical school then feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmed16)
    Yeah, no problem! I'm Scottish so I got 5A's at Higher in S5, and 3 A's (2 Advanced + crash Higher) in S6! 😊
    Haha I'm sorry but I have no idea what your grades are as I'm English!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AortaStudyMore)
    Hi everyone, I'm a first year medical student, and I applied only last year, so if you have any questions about the process of getting into medical school then feel free to ask
    i got 3A*s 5As and 2 BS AT GCSE but ive done work experience in urology, dermatology along with 2 years of volunteering in old homes. Ive got experience planned in orthopedics and with gp this summer any idea of where to apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AortaStudyMore;[url="tel:63164659")
    63164659[/url]]Hi everyone, I'm a first year medical student, and I applied only last year, so if you have any questions about the process of getting into medical school then feel free to ask
    Hi, If u don't mind me asking what were ur grades at GCSE and A Levels. How was the interview process as well, if u had one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hashman)
    i got 3A*s 5As and 2 BS AT GCSE but ive done work experience in urology, dermatology along with 2 years of volunteering in old homes. Ive got experience planned in orthopedics and with gp this summer any idea of where to apply?
    Honestly, based on that information alone I can't say, the real determinant for where you apply is your UKCAT score. I'd stay clear of bristol though, unless you do like a million extra curricular activities you probably won't get an interview (as I learnt the hard way last year). At the end of the day, apply where you think you're most likely going to get into, which requires a bit of research on your part (I'm not going to do it for you ;P), but it's probably too early to be thinking about where you want to go if you haven't done your AS's and UKCAT yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muhammad25)
    Hi, If u don't mind me asking what were ur grades at GCSE and A Levels. How was the interview process as well, if u had one.
    8 A*s 1 A at GCSE
    4 A's at AS
    3 A*s at A2 (and an A* in EPQ but no one really cares about that)

Interview process is long, I mean, I prepared more for my interviews than for my A level exams, a lot of revision is required for them

ReputationRep:
    But as far as I know, the limits for grades would be a couple of A*s at GCSE (GCSEs really don't count for **** at the end of the day), AAAB at AS (although might be able to get away with AABB) and AAA at A2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AortaStudyMore;[url="tel:63169615")
    63169615[/url]]8 A*s 1 A at GCSE
    4 A's at AS
    3 A*s at A2 (and an A* in EPQ but no one really cares about that)

Interview process is long, I mean, I prepared more for my interviews than for my A level exams, a lot of revision is required for them
    What sort of questions would be asked. I'm starting my a levels this year in September so I'm starting to prepare more for here things so I'm more prepared.

ReputationRep:
    But as far as I know, the limits for grades would be a couple of A*s at GCSE (GCSEs really don't count for **** at the end of the day), AAAB at AS (although might be able to get away with AABB) and AAA at A2
    I got away with ABBB at AS lol super lucky indeed but I do agree that it is best to have at least AABB
    However, the B's were relatively high with only the furthest being 5 UMS away which helped with predictions

ReputationRep:
    What sort of questions would be asked. I'm starting my a levels this year in September so I'm starting to prepare more for here things so I'm more prepared.
    Haha, I wouldn't worry yourself too much about questions just yet, but if you're interested, the sort of thing unis will ask will be why you want to study medicine, why you want to study at that uni, questions about current health topics in the news, questions about what you learnt on your work experience, what you do in your spare time, and also some ethics questions too. They really do vary between unis and obviously you can't predict what they'll ask you, so you'll have to just prepare for any likely question when it comes to it. It's long, looking back on it it doesn't seem that bad, but when I think about it, it was a horrible process to go through, and when you actually get to uni it's not all fun and games, the work is very hard, so do also bear in mind if this is definitely what you want to do! (Although don't let me put you off)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by setarcos)
    I got away with ABBB at AS lol super lucky indeed but I do agree that it is best to have at least AABB
    However, the B's were relatively high with only the furthest being 5 UMS away which helped with predictions
    Nice, in year 12 I was told that only people with AAAA were successful, but I think they were just trying to scare us into revising hard! Are you at med school then?

ReputationRep:
    Nice, in year 12 I was told that only people with AAAA were successful, but I think they were just trying to scare us into revising hard! Are you at med school then?
    Nah, I applied this year and managed to somehow get 2 med offers and also unfortunately got 2 rejections but was honestly expecting 4 rejections because of my AS levels! Just goes to show that it is all about applying smartly, my UKCAT saved me and I think I did quite well in my interviews

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by setarcos)
    Nah, I applied this year and managed to somehow get 2 med offers and also unfortunately got 2 rejections but was honestly expecting 4 rejections because of my AS levels! Just goes to show that it is all about applying smartly, my UKCAT saved me and I think I did quite well in my interviews
    Top effort, where are your offers from and which are you planning on going to?

ReputationRep:
    Top effort, where are your offers from and which are you planning on going to?
    I'm hoping to go to Manchester, doing a couple of AS retakes to compensate for my grades to hopefully meet my offer! wbu? I'm assuming you are at med school?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, based on that information alone I can't say, the real determinant for where you apply is your UKCAT score. I'd stay clear of bristol though, unless you do like a million extra curricular activities you probably won't get an interview (as I learnt the hard way last year). At the end of the day, apply where you think you're most likely going to get into, which requires a bit of research on your part (I'm not going to do it for you ;P), but it's probably too early to be thinking about where you want to go if you haven't done your AS's and UKCAT yet
    Thanks loads

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.