Turn on thread page Beta

2015/16 Rugby (Union) Season Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    https://www.facebook.com/ultimaterug...9958731455880/

Tries from the first weekend of the Super Rugby season. Handling is on a completely different level. I really don't understand why NH teams don't put more emphasis on offloading.

Looking at that, I've got to agree - that's not one or two incredible tries, that's an entire culture of entertaining, exciting, free-flowing rugby which we don't have so much here. I honestly don't know why - maybe because there's a win-at-all-costs culture even at youth levels so no-one is ever ready to try something new?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Heck of a win for Wasps yesterday. Really excited for them to face off with Leicester Tigers. Could be the top-flight match of the season, you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Heck of a win for Wasps yesterday. Really excited for them to face off with Leicester Tigers. Could be the top-flight match of the season, you know.
    It really could be. Wasps are playing really well at the moment with some huge wins on the road and at home. I am indeed getting worried for that match already and feel that we could be done. But then again, I did think that last year! I think Wasps v Tigers is one of those one of games where anything could happen just like Tigers v Saints. I certainly cant wait for the 12th March
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by matt1306)
    It really could be. Wasps are playing really well at the moment with some huge wins on the road and at home. I am indeed getting worried for that match already and feel that we could be done. But then again, I did think that last year! I think Wasps v Tigers is one of those one of games where anything could happen just like Tigers v Saints. I certainly cant wait for the 12th March
    I take it you'll be going? I live in between Leicester and Coventry, so may try and get along to it. I've only ever been to Franklin's Gardens for a Premiership match. I usually limit myself to international matches at Twickenham.

ReputationRep:
    I take it you'll be going? I live in between Leicester and Coventry, so may try and get along to it. I've only ever been to Franklin's Gardens for a Premiership match. I usually limit myself to international matches at Twickenham.
    Yeah I will be there for Operation Invasion number 2! Last year the atmosphere was electrical with lots of supporters for both teams, and of course supporters that have changed teams. Defiantly recommend watch and will be test match intensity.

Last years match, Tigers try towards the end was one of the highlights of my life so far!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Yeah I will be there for Operation Invasion number 2! Last year the atmosphere was electrical with lots of supporters for both teams, and of course supporters that have changed teams. Defiantly recommend watch and will be test match intensity.

Last years match, Tigers try towards the end was one of the highlights of my life so far!
    Is that a big thing in the Midlands now Wasps have come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Absolutely massive. Almost as strong as our rivalry with Northampton.

With how close we are and everything that has gone before with Tigers v Wasps, its huge!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skitee)
    Looking at that, I've got to agree - that's not one or two incredible tries, that's an entire culture of entertaining, exciting, free-flowing rugby which we don't have so much here. I honestly don't know why - maybe because there's a win-at-all-costs culture even at youth levels so no-one is ever ready to try something new?
    Completely agree. Don't know what it's like in England but for certain age levels (I think up until U11's) in Wales they don't even bother keeping score because it's "the taking part that counts." Which is absolute *******s. A winning mentality counts for so so much in top level sport. Personally, I don't think South Africa are that impressive a team, but I'd back them against any NH side based on the fact they know how to win. Don't know how many times we've been better than them and lost. Same with Australia.
    I think in England you have the best mentality, hence why you've been the most successful team. That arrogance that England are famed for, isn't a bad thing in my opinion.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Absolutely massive. Almost as strong as our rivalry with Northampton.

With how close we are and everything that has gone before with Tigers v Wasps, its huge!
    Wasps' bosses wanted to tap into the Midlands market, apparently. Aside from Leicester's stronghold, there are very few top flight avenues for Birmingham based rugby fans. Sure, plenty like Moseley or Pertemps Bees as they used to be known, but there's a massive catchment area for fans to go to Coventry to support Wasps now.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Wasps' bosses wanted to tap into the Midlands market, apparently. Aside from Leicester's stronghold, there are very few top flight avenues for Birmingham based rugby fans. Sure, plenty like Moseley or Pertemps Bees as they used to be known, but there's a massive catchment area for fans to go to Coventry to support Wasps now.
    Extending over the border to where I am as well given how far the Welsh regions are away.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Extending over the border to where I am as well given how far the Welsh regions are away.
    A very good point. It's always surprised me there isn't a bigger heartland of rugby in the Second City, really. They love their sport - football (the two Birmingham clubs, Walsall, WBA, Wolves, and even further afield sides like Coventry, Nuneaton etc.) and cricket (Warwickshire, Edgbaston etc.) mainly.

ReputationRep:
    Some really intriguing games this weekend in the Premiership

Newcastle V Worcester tonight - If newcastle win, I think they'll be 100% safe and Worcester certainly in a lot of trouble. If Worcester win (unlikely) but it will really open up relegation again

Sale v Quins - Will see if Sale can keep momentum going and weather Quins can come back after last weeks hammering

Bath v Irish - Will be really Interesting. If Irish can win that, even though bath have a game in hand, Bath will get pulled into the relegation battle and make things interesting

Saracens v Northampton - Saracens have had a dip of form in contrast of Saints good form, will give a pointer as to where both sides are realistically at

Tigers V Exeter - Really interesting to see the Tigers old boys - Salvi, Parling, Waldrom return to welford road. If Exeter win I think they'll be in the pound seats for a Home semi final, If we win, we are certainly in the mix and our mini-crisis has ended.

All of this plus Gloucester v Wasps!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Gloucester face a heck of a task getting something from Wasps with the form they're in.

ReputationRep:
    Gloucester face a heck of a task getting something from Wasps with the form they're in.
    And they did it

Anyone know if Wasps rested a few though? Maybe Wasps have eyes on next week
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    And they did it

Anyone know if Wasps rested a few though? Maybe Wasps have eyes on next week
    Think they made one change? Shervington came in? Next week is the big one for then, admittedly.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Just a look at what can happen with the Six Nations this weekend:

If Wales beat England, they will almost certainly win the title, only needing a win against Italy at home the following weekend. England will go to Paris fighting for second place with France, and possibly Scotland if they beat France.

If England beat Wales then things are slightly more complicated. England will win the Triple Crown and go to Paris to play for the Grand Slam. France will still be in the title race if they beat Scotland, and will want to do a Cardiff 2013 on us. However if France do not beat Scotland, then England will secure the title with a game to spare after a win over Wales this weekend, and the pressure will be somewhat off before Paris and the Grand Slam battle.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Huge game between Wasps and Leicester at the Ricoh this weekend.

ReputationRep:
    Does the Premiership follow a play-off style league to determine the winner, or is it whoever's top come the end of the season?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    Does the Premiership follow a play-off style league to determine the winner, or is it whoever's top come the end of the season?
    After 22 rounds, the top 4 go into semi finals. Obviously, 1st and 2nd get home advantage. 1st plays 4th and 2nd plays 3rd. A week later the winners go to Twickenham for the final.

I think this system is brilliant because it allows the teams that have had internationals taken away from them to be factored in and not be too hampered, inviting teams to actually have English players etc. It also means that just incase one team runs away with it from September, it isn't all over and most teams still have a lot to play for. It makes it more exciting and tense, plus a bit of extra money made at the final and semi finals for the club sides.

But I do think there should be a reward for finishing top of the table (smaller trophy with some prize money) as well as the playoff

ReputationRep:
    What we think? Tuilagi to start this weekend ???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.