Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    To all those saying "I oppose it except where the woman has been raped":

If you think life begins at conception and a zygote is the equivalent of a grown human, abortion is murder in any case. It is wrong to punish a child for its parents' actions, so "murdering" it because its father was a rapist is even less moral and unjust.
    If you believe that fetuses up to six months' pregnancy are not fully-developed human beings, then abortion is not murder under any circumstances regardless of the woman's motivation.
    In either case, whether or not the woman was raped is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romula)
    Look, you can't expect to be able to convince anyone if you're not willing to find evidence to support your argument, and it is not my responsibility to do that for you. If you can't be bothered, I will continue to put my faith in the scientific consensus- that foetuses earlier than twenty-four weeks cannot feel pain, and that abortion before that point is not murder.
    Well, okay, seeing as you asked so nicely:

http://www.doctorsonfetalpain.com/

There seems to be quite a plethora or contradictory evidence out there.
    I would suggest doing your own research rather than soley relying on statements and coming to your own conclusions. Feel free to consider the above evidence and reconsider your position as you will. If it turns out I am wrong then I will admit it, but the evidence we currently have available does not seem clear cut at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Well, okay, seeing as you asked so nicely:

http://www.doctorsonfetalpain.com/

There seems to be quite a plethora or contradictory evidence out there.
    I would suggest doing your own research rather than soley relying on statements and coming to your own conclusions. Feel free to consider the above evidence and reconsider your position as you will. If it turns out I am wrong then I will admit it, but the evidence we currently have available does not seem clear cut at all.
    Again: your opponents in argument have no obligation to find your evidence for you. If you want to convince people, you need to find evidence yourself- which, to your credit, you have done. Thank you.

The first five points seek to establish the presence of nociceptors, pain receptors, throughout the foetus by 20 weeks, which- by looking at the extracts from the papers quoted- they do convincingly. The sixth point concedes that this is to a certain extent irrelevant as the foetus does not have a cerebral cortex, required to feel pain, before 24 weeks. It cites "substantial research, especially since 2007", but does not give citations: instead, the quotes are from various respected scientific bodies all agreeing that foetuses cannot feel pain before 24 weeks. The seventh an eighth points seek to mitigate the sixth by proving that pain reception is carried out by areas other than the cerebral cortex in children and adults, which is beside the point when talking about foetuses: there is substantial evidence to the effect that children who grow up blind have part of the area of the brain that deals with sight rewired to deal with hearing, but obviously it would be incorrect to say that foetuses developed without eyes have better hearing in the womb, as they have not developed to the extent that sight matters (and thus it is entirely possible that children and adults born without cerebral cortexes could rewire parts of their brain to deal with pain reception, but this does not mean the absence of a cerebral cortex allows for pain reception before birth or sufficient development). The final points attempt to prove that foetuses flinch away from stimuli as though they could feel pain, which again they do, and which is again irrelevant, because this correlation does not prove the existence of pain reception at all: we know from life that the instinct to flinch away from touch is entirely separate from pain, and in the case of a foetus, which has never been touched in its existence, this instinct would be even more powerful. Birth is not painful for babies, and yet they cry as soon as they are born- which is also associated with pain, but also does not prove it. The existence of such an instinct, incidentally, does not prove an under-24-week foetuses as a living, conscience, sentient human aware of its own existence: such instincts have been displayed even by the comatose.

Thank you for looking for evidence anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree with you here- It shouldn't be 'Abortion right or wrong?' It should be 'Is abortion the right choice for a certain individual?'. I personally support abortion because I believe a woman should have a choice. We are all only human and birth control isn't 100% effective. Having a child is a massive commitment, it is a choice that will change your life forever in both positive and challenging ways. I know that if I were to fall pregnant, I would find comfort in the fact that I could choose to seek an abortion rather than prematurely having children- I think the children would suffer from it as there would be less financial security and knowledge of parenting at a young age. Oh and Crazy Mango I'd suggest that you make a valid argument rather than personally attacking someone who disagrees with you, it is hardly fair. We all have different opinions and if you are personally against abortion then stand by your choice but don't impose it on other people (rant over).
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Abortion is a choice. That's why the term "pro-choice exists".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoCrazy)
    Well there are reason too.
    Control them ****ing urges then.

OP mentioned not wanting kids? They should have thought about that beforehand.
    People have thought about that and they used contraception as a result. The fact that it failed didn't mean they didn't think about it beforehand.

Controlling the urges? How further should we go?

Pregnant because they had sex
    Had sex because they were horny
    Horny because they were alive

So by your logic, people who don't want babies should just kill themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoCrazy)
    What do you mean "you don't want the kid"? Why have sex in the first place? If you don't want children then there should be plans made beforehand.

Abortion is WRONG!
    You are WRONG!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.