Turn on thread page Beta

The idea that the bikini is just as much a form of oppression as the burqa is crap watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    1) How can the hijab be a sign of your freedom if you are a slave to allah?
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    Im sure you heard about the banning of the burqa in france. Muslim women over there are not free they are not allowed to practice their religion freely. They suffer oppression. I am free because thank allah i can practice my religion no problem. If i can choose whether i am a slave to allah or not, whether i wear hijaab, whether i can use facilities like mosques for prayer, whether i can fast during ramadhan (all examples of submittance and slavery to allah because i am following his commands) then that is a sign of my freedom. And i am sooooo happy and grateful that i can do all this in the uk. Kind of what i was saying in my massive speach, but i guess i didn't put my points across clearly...
    2) No. If the hijab is NEVER a sign of opression, the bikini isn't either. There is no country in the world where you are forced to weak a bikini.
    Actually there are many cases where women are forced to wear skimpy clothing by their boyfriends. Perhaps there is some logic in what you are saying though. But i still think that media plays a big role in poisening the minds of women by telling them that the only way to be attractive is to wear next to nothing. To have a specific figure etc. Actually i was reading this article about a teen model who starved herself to death... all so that she can feel accepted in society, in her job. All so that men are attracted to her. Its wrong! Women should not have to feel this way. So yes there is no literal force, but the pressures exist and these pressures can be as bad as force.
    3) Yes beauty is on the inside but many people agree that what's on the outside brings to people together, what's on the inside keeps them together.
    I also see your point here. But again which do you find more important. Would you rather be with a really attractive guy or girl who is selfish, has no heart, who treats you like dirt. Or be with a not so attractive guy or girl, who treats you like their king/queen, someone who listens to you, loves you, and has a pure heart. I would definately go for the latter
    4) Not wearing a burka though, are you.

True, im not. But tell you what. Some time soon,i will go out and i will wear one. I know friends who wear it and i could ask them about how they feel about wearing it, but it would be a whole lot easier, if i could tell you first hand how i felt wearing it. Who knows i might even begin wearing it everyday, or i may hate it. But i swear by allah that i will give you a completely honest account of how i feel wearing the burqa

Onr of my friends who wears it, she told me that she doesn't think that the veil is complusory she just believes that it was recommended by the prophet muhammad (saw). And yet she wears the burqa. If she found it dificult, given that she belives it is optional, surely she would have just stuck with loose clothing and a headscarf.

Again i apologize for any grammatical errors or spelling mistakes..tyoing this on a tablet...feel free to ask questions...hopefully i have answrred yours clearly, (minus the spelling and grammer mistakes, and my rubbish english (english is not my first langusge) ) haha!

Peace x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    So why is Allah at such great pains to stop these from happening? Why does he think that they are unacceptable on every occasion?
    He doesn't. There are some circumstances in which it is acceptable and some in which it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Zamestaneh;61385963]
    (Original post by ruweyda97)
    x/QUOTE]

Ignore QE2, he's been refuted many times in multiple threads but he is a hardcore kafir and self-styled jahil sheikh - I wouldn't waste time or energy with him (unless its absolutely necessary).
    QE2 is posting negative things about islam. I feel as though it is my duty to respond. So thanks for your advice, i know that you are only looking out for me. May allah bless you for your care. But the prophets did not stop teaching the ttuth even when they were tortured. Prophet ibrahim (as) was thrown into a fire. Prophet muhammad (saw) had stones thrown at him. Prophet nuh was mocked and called mad. But they did not stop. If i stop, QE2 may think i have been defeated and i am a hardcore believer as much as he is a hardcore disbeliever. Maybe he won't change his opinion. But others watching this thread may.

QE2, you haven't responded to my most recent thread, surely you have not been beaten down by the truth?

Thanks so much for your care Zamestaneh and i ask allah to guide every single one of us to the straight path.

As usual i have a lot of grammar and spelling errors, i hope everyone can forgive me for that. Feel free to respond!

Peace x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Yeah you're right.
    Wearing next to nothing isn't as oppressive as the burqa.
    It's much worse.
    Why? Being naked (or wearing little that weighs you down) is liberating! If you want to irrationally stigmatise, sexualise and demonise women's bodies that's your prerogative, but that should have no bearing on their behaviour. They shouldn't have to sacrifice their comfort because you choose to be offended by boobies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womeninth...he-head-scarf/

And western women do not care. They wear it with pride because they think it empowers them, apathetic and ignorant, insidiously and arrogantly to the reason, history and cultural implications behind it

Cattle rounding themselves up and closing the goat herders gate for them
    If they believe it to empower them, then it does. The headscarf doesn't mean the same thing for everyone who wears it. Historically, and in many modern-day countries, it has been used as a tool of oppression, but if someone who isn't oppressed wears it, it doesn't automatically oppress them.

I might even compare it to the n-word - there's another custom with a weight of historical and cultural injustice associated with it, but black culture seems to have appropriated its use with no ill effects.

Also, goatherds don't herd cattle. They herd goats.

ReputationRep:
    I also love a woman in a bikini, when I met my girlfriend who I married she always wore a bikini when we were on holiday, lovely..

ReputationRep:
    Only the burqa can offer absolute freedom for women from the judgements and sleaze of western society. All women can be treated on their merits/their actions rather than risk any possible corruption/conflict or bullying on the basis of the looks they were born with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HegelianDilectic)
    Only the burqa can offer absolute freedom for women from the judgements and sleaze of western society. All women can be treated on their merits/their actions rather than risk any possible corruption/conflict or bullying on the basis of the looks they were born with.
    Erm is this a joke? In a western society a woman in a burka is far more likely to be discriminated against and receive judgement than a woman who doesn't wear one..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by childofthesun)
    Erm is this a joke? In a western society a woman in a burka is far more likely to be discriminated against and receive judgement than a woman who doesn't wear one..
    She would be abused either way if she was fat/ugly. Such a lady would be doing society a favour by covering up arguably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHBKhan)
    I think the point is that people have visualised women to be something they are not. Every single day we see women in bikinis advertising our products. There are car sales rooms with half naked women on their signs because it attracts people. That is a form of oppression, when women are being used like bait to draw people in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Go look at male models do you think the majority of the worlds male population look like that? No
    That also happens does that mean I am oppressed?

ReputationRep:
    My mum would look hideous in either! :zomg:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.