Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ladies - How much did you bleed when you lost your virginity? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So you think I should get an examination done to see which type of hymen I have?
    I wouldn't think it's necessary to be honest, I've never heard of anyone doing that and would have thought it's only something you'd need to do if, for example, you had any general pain / discomfort.

Can you insert a tampon (or that said, anything small / hygienic / appropriate!) without too much discomfort?

Obviously there is some discomfort with tampons at first, mainly because of not having learnt a technique, (sorry I'm not sure how old you are so this may all be old news to you) but if you can get one in, then it's unlikely that you have an unusual hymen that will cause you any problems. You may even stretch or break it a little which could make your first time easier.

Basically though, the take home message is not to worry unless anything feels wrong. The vast majority of people experience their first time with no thoughts on what their hymen is like whatsoever (I've no idea what my hymen is / was like at all and I'm 23) -

- and with no real problems beyond what is usually an anticlimax!! (That side of it gets better!)

ReputationRep:
    EternalFlames uploaded two beginners guide video links that should clarify all that you need to know about your hymen OP. It is not an impenetrable barrier that needs to be forced open. It is a thin, elastic opening that if not already, will be widened by intercourse. Not to be confused with 'loosening' of the vagina. And really, really, really unlikely to be detectable by penis examination.

If it makes your guy feel good, let out a little squeal when he enters you and ask if he felt your virginity seal break

(Original post by CCC75)
    EternalFlames uploaded two beginners guide video links that should clarify all that you need to know about your hymen OP. It is not an impenetrable barrier that needs to be forced open. It is a thin, elastic opening that if not already, will be widened by intercourse. Not to be confused with 'loosening' of the vagina. And really, really, really unlikely to be detectable by penis examination.

If it makes your guy feel good, let out a little squeal when he enters you and ask if he felt your virginity seal break
    Yeah okay, thank you so much for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:))
    What on earth are you on about, there is no 'supposed to' or 'not supposed to' when it comes to bleeding on your first time. And most of the cases where they've bled is because they're not wet enough? Is there a source for this or are you speculating?The hymen breaking or not depends on the shape of your hymen and its elasticity which varies between girls. If it breaks, you will most likely bleed. There are particular shapes of hymen where this is much more likely to happen. Others will simply stretch and you will not bleed. Neither is better or worse, or right / wrong.By saying 'you're not supposed to bleed', you're just unnecessarily worrying anyone who might have bled, making them feel like something went wrong, which it didn't, it is totally natural to bleed.OP look at this, for an idea of types of hymen and you can sort of see which ones would bleed. If you do bleed it will be a small to medium amount and won't last long.http://fustany.com/en/beauty/health-...w-about-hymens

There is truth to what externalflames had stated.

Yes, women have different shaped hymen's however one shape doesn't entirely determine how much a lady would bleed. This is not a shot at those who did bleed, mind me I am not trying to belittle other users' intimate, personal experiences. I say this with respect but what eternalflames had stated is in a way true. Can I also clarify normal means 'conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.' meaning just because something is normal does not necessarily mean it is right or wrong. So random example, obesity as millions go over their BMI even by a little, this would be considered as obese. Though obesity is normal- health wise it is not recommended. I hope you understand what I am saying, my apologies for this random example but I try explaining things using other scenarios. So I wouldn't measure if something was right or wrong by how normal it is as this only tells us what is popular within society.

And here's a shocking factor- statistically, apparently most women DON'T bleed during their first time though they may experience some sort of discomfort and pain. So whether something is wrong or right, it doesn't have to do with what is normal. It's about the cause, what causes so and so to happen. In actuality for many women -- 63 percent according to a small scale survey -- losing their virginity was neither physically uncomfortable nor 'messy'. So it's not as common as some think- even I at one stage thought all/ most women did bleed during their first time. As to the exact figures, very little scientific studies has been carried out concerning how many worldwide and in different countries as it will vary due to cultural differences etc etc. So this isn't to alienate those that did bleed but to state the reality so others wouldn't have a false misconception surrounding this topic.

I'd like to state a few reasons to why some women bleed during their first time because though many may bleed, the reasons will vary. Why OP may bleed during her first, wouldn't be the same reason to why I may bleed during my first time. Some don't even bleed at all while some do bleed but it's not because of their hymen stretching- some bleed for other reasons which is why I think this needs to be stated with links supporting these statements meaning OP please know it's not me making anything up:

1) Arousal & Lubrication
    If a female isn't sexually excited enough, or at all this would mean that
    before and during entry, often the vaginal opening and vagina will not have
    loosened / self-lubricated enough. It's why foreplay is needed so that naturally, her body could do the wonders of lubricating her vagina lol. But on a serious note, foreplay creates natural lubrication which would immensely help in making sex pleasurable. If a female's body fails in providing natural lubrication, even with foreplay- lubrication could be bought at a health store which is just as good or if not better as it allows the person to decide how much they need to feel comfortable.

2) Anxiety/ Nervousness
    If a female is nervous and faces anxiety, this tightens the opening of her vagina making sexual intercourse more uncomfortable. It's why many are advised to relax and go slow to avoid the tensing from happening because it could potentially hurt the female.

3) The Hymen/ Vaginal Corona
    What many do not know is that, the hymen actually becomes more elastic with time, age and activities. Age can be a big factor as this tissue wears away over time meaning the younger a woman or girl is when she has intercourse- the likely it is that there's more of the hymen to wear away leading to, most likely some bleeding. In addition because the hymen stretches if a lady stopped having sex for a while, maybe years- there's a higher chance of her feeling discomfort again- similar to her first time because the hymen wouldn't have experienced any sort of stretching for a while. Then concerning activities, as many have mentioned horse riding and even inserting a tampon could stretch the hymen.Concerning the shape of your hymen, unless a female has an imperforate, microperforate or septate hymen- the shape should not contribute to bleeding. An imperforate hymen is a thin membrane that completely covers the opening to the vagina meaning menstrual blood cannot flow out of the vagina. A microperforate hymen is a thin membrane that almost completely covers the opening of the vagina and menstrual blood is usually able to flow out of the vagina but the opening is very small. Meaning a woman with a microperforate hymen usually will not be able to insert a tampon into her vagina because she has a very tiny opening. As 'youngwomanshealth' have stated- 'The treatment is minor surgery to remove the extra hymenal tissue making a normal sized opening for menstrual blood to flow out.' Then finallya septate hymen is when the thin hymenal membrane has a band of extra tissue in the middle that causes two small vaginal openings instead of one. Women with this type of hymen may have trouble getting a tampon in or trouble getting a tampon out. 'The treatment for a septate hymen is minor surgery to remove the extra band of tissue and create a normal sized vaginal opening.'

So overall, unless you have one of these three hymens'- it shouldn't be a problem. And ladies just to add, you could actually check yourselves to what hymen you have. We were taught this in health class- if you have a portable mirror- as you sit down in the toilet make sure the lighting is good enough and face the mirror towards that area. You'd be able to analyse and see for yourself your own hymen.

4) Their partner being too rough
    If a partner is too rough or forceful with their penis, fingers or a sex toy, whether a woman is aroused or not, that can cause injury and bleeding. So a message to virgins especially, please communicate with your partner to go slow. Communication is so important- if anything feels uncomfortable please do not keep quiet.

5) Even Infections/ Medical Conditions
    Endometriosis, fibroid tumors, vaginitis, yeast infections, uterine or cervical polyps, cervical dysplasia and other kinds of cervicitis- All of these which are in fact very common medical conditions could cause bleeding. I have endo so if I bled during my first time, most likely it's the endo I have that would be the reason for my discomfort and bleeding. Then infections such as Gonorrhoea can cause this too. If you're wondering how could a virgin catch a STI well many STIs can be transmitted orally through oral sex. Chlamydia, Gonorrhoea and Herpes are also oral infections meaning if a virgin receives oral from someone with this oral infection, it can be transmitted. Anyway now I'm going off track but you get the point.
    But overall a female's hymen doesn't "break"- it stretches and it can tear but it doesn't mean the hymen hasn't also been stretched after intercourse. The hymen doesn't disappear so even after your first time, if you stopped having sex again for a while- it could be uncomfortable again.

So let me just clarify, I'm not saying under the right conditions, if the stretching of a female's hymen results to minor tearing or bleeding is completely wrong as many factors must be considered. However- no one should think this is the only reason. As I've stated, there are many, many more reasons to why someone may bleed during their first time meaning your reason for bleeding most likely isn't the same reason to why the other girl bled or the other girl bled, or the other, other girl bled- you get the point. Women bleed for different reasons during their first time so how much blood a person should expect is irrelevant. Just make sure you're comfortable, use lube if needed and communicate well with your partner. Be confident that you're fully informed on the matter and that you're ready physically, emotionally and mentally.

Links:
    http://www.scarleteen.com/article/ad...st_intercourse
    http://kinseyconfidential.org/sex-with-virgin-bleeding/
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-misunderstood
    http://www.beinggirl.com/article/vir...and-the-hymen/
    http://www.ourbodiesourselves.org/he...aginal-corona/
    http://youngwomenshealth.org/2013/07/10/hymens/

Wow, thank you for that. Do you know if a guy can feel that you've lost your virginity to him?
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    There is truth to what externalflames had stated.

Yes, women have different shaped hymen's however one shape doesn't entirely determine how much a lady would bleed. This is not a shot at those who did bleed, mind me I am not trying to belittle other users' intimate, personal experiences. I say this with respect but what eternalflames had stated is in a way true. Can I also clarify normal means 'conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.' meaning just because something is normal does not necessarily mean it is right or wrong. So random example, obesity as millions go over their BMI even by a little, this would be considered as obese. Though obesity is normal- health wise it is not recommended. I hope you understand what I am saying, my apologies for this random example but I try explaining things using other scenarios. So I wouldn't measure if something was right or wrong by how normal it is as this only tells us what is popular within society.

And here's a shocking factor- statistically, apparently most women DON'T bleed during their first time though they may experience some sort of discomfort and pain. So whether something is wrong or right, it doesn't have to do with what is normal. It's about the cause, what causes so and so to happen. In actuality for many women -- 63 percent according to a small scale survey -- losing their virginity was neither physically uncomfortable nor 'messy'. So it's not as common as some think- even I at one stage thought all/ most women did bleed during their first time. As to the exact figures, very little scientific studies has been carried out concerning how many worldwide and in different countries as it will vary due to cultural differences etc etc. So this isn't to alienate those that did bleed but to state the reality so others wouldn't have a false misconception surrounding this topic.

I'd like to state a few reasons to why some women bleed during their first time because though many may bleed, the reasons will vary. Why OP may bleed during her first, wouldn't be the same reason to why I may bleed during my first time. Some don't even bleed at all while some do bleed but it's not because of their hymen stretching- some bleed for other reasons which is why I think this needs to be stated with links supporting these statements meaning OP please know it's not me making anything up:

1) Arousal & Lubrication
    If a female isn't sexually excited enough, or at all this would mean that
    before and during entry, often the vaginal opening and vagina will not have
    loosened / self-lubricated enough. It's why foreplay is needed so that naturally, her body could do the wonders of lubricating her vagina lol. But on a serious note, foreplay creates natural lubrication which would immensely help in making sex pleasurable. If a female's body fails in providing natural lubrication, even with foreplay- lubrication could be bought at a health store which is just as good or if not better as it allows the person to decide how much they need to feel comfortable.

2) Anxiety/ Nervousness
    If a female is nervous and faces anxiety, this tightens the opening of her vagina making sexual intercourse more uncomfortable. It's why many are advised to relax and go slow to avoid the tensing from happening because it could potentially hurt the female.

3) The Hymen/ Vaginal Corona
    What many do not know is that, the hymen actually becomes more elastic with time, age and activities. Age can be a big factor as this tissue wears away over time meaning the younger a woman or girl is when she has intercourse- the likely it is that there's more of the hymen to wear away leading to, most likely some bleeding. In addition because the hymen stretches if a lady stopped having sex for a while, maybe years- there's a higher chance of her feeling discomfort again- similar to her first time because the hymen wouldn't have experienced any sort of stretching for a while. Then concerning activities, as many have mentioned horse riding and even inserting a tampon could stretch the hymen.Concerning the shape of your hymen, unless a female has an imperforate, microperforate or septate hymen- the shape should not contribute to bleeding. An imperforate hymen is a thin membrane that completely covers the opening to the vagina meaning menstrual blood cannot flow out of the vagina. A microperforate hymen is a thin membrane that almost completely covers the opening of the vagina and menstrual blood is usually able to flow out of the vagina but the opening is very small. Meaning a woman with a microperforate hymen usually will not be able to insert a tampon into her vagina because she has a very tiny opening. As 'youngwomanshealth' have stated- 'The treatment is minor surgery to remove the extra hymenal tissue making a normal sized opening for menstrual blood to flow out.' Then finallya septate hymen is when the thin hymenal membrane has a band of extra tissue in the middle that causes two small vaginal openings instead of one. Women with this type of hymen may have trouble getting a tampon in or trouble getting a tampon out. 'The treatment for a septate hymen is minor surgery to remove the extra band of tissue and create a normal sized vaginal opening.'

So overall, unless you have one of these three hymens'- it shouldn't be a problem. And ladies just to add, you could actually check yourselves to what hymen you have. We were taught this in health class- if you have a portable mirror- as you sit down in the toilet make sure the lighting is good enough and face the mirror towards that area. You'd be able to analyse and see for yourself your own hymen.

4) Their partner being too rough
    If a partner is too rough or forceful with their penis, fingers or a sex toy, whether a woman is aroused or not, that can cause injury and bleeding. So a message to virgins especially, please communicate with your partner to go slow. Communication is so important- if anything feels uncomfortable please do not keep quiet.

5) Even Infections/ Medical Conditions
    Endometriosis, fibroid tumors, vaginitis, yeast infections, uterine or cervical polyps, cervical dysplasia and other kinds of cervicitis- All of these which are in fact very common medical conditions could cause bleeding. I have endo so if I bled during my first time, most likely it's the endo I have that would be the reason for my discomfort and bleeding. Then infections such as Gonorrhoea can cause this too. If you're wondering how could a virgin catch a STI well many STIs can be transmitted orally through oral sex. Chlamydia, Gonorrhoea and Herpes are also oral infections meaning if a virgin receives oral from someone with this oral infection, it can be transmitted. Anyway now I'm going off track but you get the point.
    But overall a female's hymen doesn't "break"- it stretches and it can tear but it doesn't mean the hymen hasn't also been stretched after intercourse. The hymen doesn't disappear so even after your first time, if you stopped having sex again for a while- it could be uncomfortable again.

So let me just clarify, I'm not saying under the right conditions, if the stretching of a female's hymen results to minor tearing or bleeding is completely wrong as many factors must be considered. However- no one should think this is the only reason. As I've stated, there are many, many more reasons to why someone may bleed during their first time meaning your reason for bleeding most likely isn't the same reason to why the other girl bled or the other girl bled, or the other, other girl bled- you get the point. Women bleed for different reasons during their first time so how much blood a person should expect is irrelevant. Just make sure you're comfortable, use lube if needed and communicate well with your partner. Be confident that you're fully informed on the matter and that you're ready physically, emotionally and mentally.

Links:
    http://www.scarleteen.com/article/ad...st_intercourse
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-misunderstood
    http://www.beinggirl.com/article/vir...and-the-hymen/
    http://www.ourbodiesourselves.org/he...aginal-corona/
    http://youngwomenshealth.org/2013/07/10/hymens/

ReputationRep:
    I know it's different for each person but I just wanna get an idea for my first time
    you might bleed a tiny tiny bit, but if it hurts lube up, do a bit more foreplay, or take control yourself. sex shouldn't be painful. i didnt bleed, but it hurt a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thank you for that. Do you know if a guy can feel that you've lost your virginity to him?
    My pleasure (no pun intended)
    To be completely honest with you: The only way he would know or feel that you've lost your virginity to him is if you tell him you're a virgin and from there you both have sex together. Apart from that no. Some state tightness and all sorts but this doesn't mean determine anything concerning virginity as a woman could not be a virgin but not have sex in a long time meaning she would be 'tighter'.
    Sorry if I'm sounding crude lol.
    If you're talking about if a guy could feel the hymen during intercourse well maybe, maybe not- I'm not sure. With this, I'd like to here the opinions of guys concerning that matter too.
    But overall hymen or no hymen- it wouldn't tell a guy if you're a virgin or not or if you've lost your virginity to him. There's no way to really know unless a person tells you and even then you wouldn't know if they are being honest or not. It shouldn't really matter in my opinion.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.