Forgetting something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MevMev)
    so is Nottingham
    Nottingham isn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    London unis always get low student satisfaction scores.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ServantOfMorgoth)
    Nottingham isn't
    Do u think its overrated?

ReputationRep:
    Do u think its overrated?
    No, it get the amount of credit it deserves

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just because i've seen someone **** off Coventry thought i'd interject and point out that for Geography it's 17th in the UK which puts it above Leeds, York etc. and I think it's massively underrated.

Personally i found Southampton very overrated especially as I would be paying £9000 a year for 9 hours contact a week but i'm sure that's similar with other RGs that I didn't look at.

(Not that I've firmed either of the two just adding my opinion)

ReputationRep:
    so is Nottingham
    lol maybe, but I booked into having a look round the maths department last year (outside of usual open day times) and had a meeting with a professor of stats. In his words he said "There really isn't any difference between Durham and say another uni like Southampton so you could always go there. We only accept people who have been the best in their schools for the past 5 years or so unless you go to a crappy school in Middlesbrough or somewhere like that." An awkward silence proceeds. "You don't go to a crappy school in Middlesbrough do you?". I shake my head.

Although Im sure he was just one of stranger ones of the collectively high quality bunch or trying to be funny in some strange way. He also mentioned about me taking an entrance exam that doesnt exist. One week later I got an offer of only A*A and a 2 in step(or something similar) so I didnt mind too much
    (I meant this about Durham oops ) ServantOfMorgoth

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge is underrated imo. People always compare it to places like Oxford and Imperial, which is just an insult tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    Overrated

LSE
    KCL
    Exeter
    Oxford Brookes
    St Andrews

Underrated

Warwick
    Bath
    UEA

why is St Andrews over rated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawliettt)
    How do you know though? As far as I'm aware, there's no website that compares every course that both unis offer side by side and takes an average. They all just look at overall entry tariffs. You could manually do it but it's not worth the time and effort. And what specific uni are you referring to with the comparisons ?
    I was comparing with Cardiff because you made the claim that the only reason Cardiff is lower in overall entry is because it offers more courses. If you look side-by-side, Exeter wins. I looked at law (as it is my subject), business, maths, civil engineering, physics. biology, economics. It "wins" these usually quite significantly. It doesn't win a few courses, such as mechanical engineering but this is quite marginal through 6 points.

ReputationRep:
    Having looked at quite a few of the posts on this thread, I have to say that no way is Durham underrated - very much overrated imo. And Exeter is not overrated - it's a very good uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shimble11)
    why is St Andrews over rated?

It seems to be glamorous but lacking in substance.

Heard quite a lot. It is undoubtedly good but clearly doesn't deserve to be seen as one of the UK's best.

This might interest you.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1176159

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsChantelle)
    Why?
    Because you're living in London. I mean obviously a lot of it has to do with the university, but naturally that type of rating will be heavily influenced by external factors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 210555)
    I agree. I wish people would stop obsessing about Oxbridge/RG as a "meal ticket" in the "world of work", it is simply not true! University is about providing opportunity for academic and personal growth. I am not a "bitter reject" by the way but have chosen my uni based upon lots of research and logic. Employers really don't care where you study, they are more interested in the qualities and skills the individual has developed. BTW there is nothing wrong with being a teacher as someone posted earlier, we all need them.
    I know there is nothing wrong with being a teacher, but the ones who go to Oxbridge usually aspire for more - hence why some with the offer thing they've got a meal ticket to a top paying job which teaching isn't.
    It just annoyed me as all my sixth form care about is Oxbridge offers and nothing really else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsChantelle)
    Why?
    From my discussions with a friend who's currently studying at KCL:
    - Higher costs of living, to which most students haven't really gotten used to at start and really won't be too happy about
    - It feels as if you're commuting to uni everyday, with most 2nd/3rd years (with a few exceptions) easily spending 40 mins or more a day getting to and from the campus. When coupled with how long it takes to get around in general, the routine can get tiring really quickly.
    - High proportion of foreign students, who may (note: massive overgeneralisation) be daunted by living alone, in a foreign country, for the first time, and as such not feel completely at ease until their 2nd/3rd year.
    - Fairly cramped uni facilities (this applies more to UCL and particularly LSE, apparently)
    - Lack of a collegiate system (most of your social life will revolve around the halls you live in, whose social life varies considerably)

From some of the posts I've seen, it may also have to do with staff being more research-oriented than, say, Durham, meaning that they devote fewer contact hours and effort addressing your concerns (this issue is, however, definitely not unique to London).

These are just some random thoughts, please feel free to pick up on any of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    Cambridge is underrated imo. People always compare it to places like Oxford and Imperial, which is just an insult tbh.
    Oxford isn't rubbish though... Like... Its a fair comparison.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    lol maybe, but I booked into having a look round the maths department last year (outside of usual open day times) and had a meeting with a professor of stats. In his words he said "There really isn't any difference between Durham and say another uni like Southampton so you could always go there. We only accept people who have been the best in their schools for the past 5 years or so unless you go to a crappy school in Middlesbrough or somewhere like that." An awkward silence proceeds. "You don't go to a crappy school in Middlesbrough do you?". I shake my head.

Although Im sure he was just one of stranger ones of the collectively high quality bunch or trying to be funny in some strange way. He also mentioned about me taking an entrance exam that doesnt exist. One week later I got an offer of only A*A and a 2 in step(or something similar) so I didnt mind too much
    (I meant this about Durham oops ) ServantOfMorgoth
    Thats just his opinion though. He can't speak for the entire university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ServantOfMorgoth)
    Oxford isn't rubbish though... Like... Its a fair comparison.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's a stretch but I'll allow it because you have to compare it to something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    It's a stretch but I'll allow it because you have to compare it to something.
    But the comparison to rubbish works!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    But the comparison to rubbish works!
    No it doesn't

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.