The Hezzlington Cooking Blog - A student that eats like a King Watch

hezzlington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've been in the kitchen pretty much since noon till now. I'm exhausted.

Oxtail and dessert were an absolute treat. Unfortunately I didn't get good pictures for various reasons. I'm too tired to do the update now, but will do so shortly. The desert tasted and did look amazing, however, it wasn't up to my aesthetic standard presentation wise so didn't even make for a good picture anyway. I'm going to redo it on wednesday for my friends.

Update: The pork belly I promised you is taking far longer than I thought, that will be up on Tuesday (brining overnight, then cooked for 18 hours. I'm still up working on the brine......the aromas in my kitchen are mental. Nothing smells better than toasted spices and vanilla.)

Content will come soon!
Paracosm
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hezzlington)
I've been in the kitchen pretty much since noon till now. I'm exhausted.

Oxtail and dessert were an absolute treat. Unfortunately I didn't get good pictures for various reasons. I'm too tired to do the update now, but will do so shortly. The desert tasted and did look amazing, however, it wasn't up to my aesthetic standard presentation wise so didn't even make for a good picture anyway. I'm going to redo it on wednesday for my friends.

Update: The pork belly I promised you is taking far longer than I thought, that will be up on Tuesday (brining overnight, then cooked for 18 hours)

Content will come soon!
:drool:
dogs4eva7
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Any updates?! hezzlington
hezzlington
Rep:
?
(Original post by jenigma)
Any updates?! hezzlington
Made a pot noodle. It was intense.
dogs4eva7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Made a pot noodle. It was intense.
:lol: Nothing else?
Paracosm
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This thread kept me happy when I was ill :hmmm: more please!
hezzlington
Rep:
?
(Original post by jenigma)
:lol: Nothing else?
(Original post by iEthan)
This thread kept me happy when I was ill :hmmm: more please!
In all seriousness, I am terribly sorry for the lack of updates. I'm behind on it. Uni work has taken over.

The pork belly didn't turn out great because of my poor butchering skills so will have another crack later.

When I get paid at the end of the month i'll source some more fun ingredients.

I have two deserts to upload though, they were good. When I can find time i'll sit down with my phone and upload the stuff.

Ps i dont eat pot noodles
Paracosm
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In all seriousness, I am terribly sorry for the lack of updates. I'm behind on it. Uni work has taken over.

The pork belly didn't turn out great because of my poor butchering skills so will have another crack later.

I have two deserts to upload though, they were good. When I can find time i'll sit down with my phone and upload the stuff.

Omg!! OK! Excited now :excited: Can't wait to see more :drool:
dogs4eva7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Waiting with bated breath.
hezzlington
Rep:
?
Update:

The deserts I've tried several times weren't good enough for the blog (aesthetically). My photography is terrible and doesn't help the dishes look aesthetically pleasing.

I've been a bit hesitant with posting recently. The cooking hasn't been turning out great recently and I only want the quality of the posts to increase because everything so far has just been about bulking up the blog to give me something to post as opposed to showing off a bit.

Money is tight at the moment, so I can't be spending too crazily on foods to experiment with.

However.

Next Thursday, my house are having a little Come Dine With Me event with the netball girls. The boys are up first, so we'll be making a three course dinner for all of us. We've decided on the main, which is a roast beef. I've been sourcing out beef, and I'm looking for either a three rib or a a plain old dry aged roasting joint. Starter and desert is TBA. The budget is £30 so £10 each to cook for 6 people. We'll win

I'll post this up for sure.

There are still a lot of recipes I want to try out, if they are good enough I'll post them up if I have time. We'll see.
Paracosm
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Update:

The deserts I've tried several times weren't good enough for the blog (aesthetically). My photography is terrible and doesn't help the dishes look aesthetically pleasing.

I've been a bit hesitant with posting recently. The cooking hasn't been turning out great recently and I only want the quality of the posts to increase because everything so far has just been about bulking up the blog to give me something to post as opposed to showing off a bit.

Money is tight at the moment, so I can't be spending too crazily on foods to experiment with.

However.

Next Thursday, my house are having a little Come Dine With Me event with the netball girls. The boys are up first, so we'll be making a three course dinner for all of us. We've decided on the main, which is a roast beef. I've been sourcing out beef, and I'm looking for either a three rib or a a plain old dry aged roasting joint. Starter and desert is TBA. The budget is £30 so £10 each to cook for 6 people. We'll win

I'll post this up for sure.

There are still a lot of recipes I want to try out, if they are good enough I'll post them up if I have time. We'll see.
This is very exciting
hezzlington
Rep:
?
(Original post by iEthan)
This is very exciting
let's hope I actually deliver

I've been **** with this recently hahah.
Paracosm
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
let's hope I actually deliver

I've been **** with this recently hahah.
As long as you deliver sooner or later — I love this blog :yep:
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Dude, this is flipping awesome! :woo:
Botticello
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are you at Liverpool? You mentioned Smithdown road asda. Have you any picture of the process of making the pot noodle?
hezzlington
Rep:
?
(Original post by Botticello)
Are you at Liverpool? You mentioned Smithdown road asda. Have you any picture of the process of making the pot noodle?
I am

Err well you buy a pot noodle and then you do whatever it says on the pot.
Botticello
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am

Err well you buy a pot noodle and then you do whatever it says on the pot.
Woo Liverpool graduate here! I lived in Kensington fields so I could just walk down the hill to uni
hezzlington
Rep:
?
Not letting me upload the photo unfortunately. Roast potatoes on point. Beef was okay, not a nice cut.

Not gonna be posting the recipes on TSR anymore, sorry. It has served its purpose to me. The blog didn't go in the direction I wanted it to, but oh well.

Over and out
NewcastleFresher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"Cooking should be a pleasue, if it's a job...get a takeaway"
-Marco Pierre White

I've been meaning to get around to creating this thread in a while. I'm a student that loves food. I love to spend money on food, sourcing fresh and interesting ingredients wherever I can to conjure up some tasty dishes. I spend about £50 a week on average on ingredients. Sometimes less, often more. I am firm believer that everybody should take the time to learn how to cook. It's an enjoyable life skill and if you're curious and adventurous, opens you up to new dishes and flavours that you'd otherwise be missing out on.

The purpose of this blog is to document what I cook and hopefully give/receive tips on general cooking and maybe inspire some to learn themselves. I cook a variety of cuisines from all over the world.

I'll also take requests, if you have a dish you particularly enjoy making, post a recipe and I'll give it a go. I'll start off with simpler, easier dishes and then start to showcase some longer, more complicated dishes at the weekend.

TSRians, I present to you...

Dish #1 - Steak Sandwich
Spoiler:
Show

The first entry in this blog will be a simple steak sandwich. It's an absolute favourite of mine to make when I'm peckish and is really easy, cheap and quick.

Here are the ingredients

I got a banging deal on a 28 day matured sirloin, it's okay quality. I would of liked to see more marbling but whatever. I've left it out for 20 minutes to reach room temperature. In this time, I've diced the shallots, made a spread out of the mustard and mayo and sliced some sweet pickles which I kept in the fridge.

In the mean time, my pan is heating up nicely. I want it practically smoking hot. Once it's reached the required temp, I season the steak with coarse sea salt and pepper on both sides. (I don't do this earlier because the salt draws out moisture in the meat and makes it a bit wet again - this is not desirable).

In goes on the olive oil, 10 seconds later the steak goes in. I'm immediately greeted with a hiss which is good. I'm aiming for a nice, dark brown sear on the side that's just hit the pan so I don't mess around and move it or anything.

This is where the fun starts.

I slice a whole bulb of garlic in half and whack it in with sprigs of thyme. I don't even bother peeling or crushing the garlic. The party has started! I'm hearing crackling and popping from the frying thyme, I'm picking up that beautiful garlicy smell. I'm supposed to be on a diet, but I think f*** it and add a slice of unsalted butter. It's an absolute riot. The butter immediately melts in the hot pan and there's instant chemistry with the garlic and thyme, they end up in a passionate love making session.

The garlic mounts the thyme and I place the steak on top to cool down from this intense orgy of flavour. I baste the steak with the browned butter (it's releasing all those nutty notes now, which is what I want but I'm careful not to burn the butter so I lift the pan off the heat as I do so). I turn the hob off, but the steak goes back on the heat.

After 2 minutes, the steak comes off and I place on a cooling rack. I wipe the pan clean and quickly fry the shallots without any oil. The bread is sitting on my George Foreman getting nice and crispy (I don't have a toaster).

Everything is ready. We're about to witness the final synergy. I spread the Polish Sourdough (I prefer this to your standard bloomer loaf) with the mayo/mustard and then lay the bottom part with the pickles. On goes the steak, and on top of that goes the shallots.

The Hezzlington Steak Sandwich.

The picture doesn't represent the true colour of the steak/bread. The bread is golden brown on top slightly and the steak is darker and cooked properly, but it's still rare.

I ate this in like 2 mins. So good.

Dish #2 Chicken Tikka Masala
Spoiler:
Show
This is a British curry, so please don't question the authenticity as I'm acknowledging here it's British.

Ingredients

It's essential to have your ingredients prepared and everything measured out accordingly.

100g of Tilda Basmati rice
150g of water.

Guys, it's really simple cooking rice. This works with longrain, jasmine and basmati. Measure out your rice, and however much you use, multiply this amount by 1.5 and that's the amount of ml of water you use. I start by washing the rice in cold water to get rid of any starch, I drain and then place in the pot. I season with salt and add some gently crushed cardamom pods to infuse a bit of flavour into the rice. Then I add the measured out water and turn on the hob, cover and bring to the boil. Once it's at boiling point, I reduce heat to lowest and let simmer for about 7 minutes.

Chopped the onions roughly, peeled and chopped garlic. Chopped chili and removed the seeds as I want this to be mild. Fried in some olive oil and then I added some Lazy Garlic (I couldn't find my garlic press). I add garam masala (sorry guys, I'm feeling lazy so I used store bought stuff I couldn't be bothered to make my own, I promise next time I will), chilli powder, tumeric and a little bit of sugar. I stir, then add the chopped tomatoes and tomato puree. I reduce the heat as things are spicing up and I start to notice the garlic blackening a bit. You do not want to burn garlic, it's extremely bitter.

I add this to the food processor and blitz into a paste.

I got to try out by new carving knife today. It is SICK. I butterflied and diced the chicken breast to give the illusion of more volume. The smaller cubes also cook quicker. I dabbed the chicken breasts with tissue before dicing as they were slimy and wet - typical of supermarket poultry. I want them to sear and colour nicely and it doesn't help if they're wet with liquid ebola. I season with salt and pepper and into the pan to fry. Once browned, I add the paste, reduce heat and simmer for a bit, then I add some yogurt to reduce the overall heat of the dish. (It was really spicy, I got the chillis from the Halal shop and they were HOT).

Lightly chopped some coriander to garnish.

Dish #3 Chicken Teriyaki with veg served with fragrant jasmine rice.
Spoiler:
Show

Dish #4 Five Spice Duck
Spoiler:
Show

Up coming dishes

Oxtail with butterbeans and rice

Jerk chicken with rice and peas.

Nasi Goreng is an Indonesian dish and it's REALLY hard to make from scratch. It takes a lot of ingredients and planning so I'll do this some point over the weekend.

Homemade sausage rolls.

Alcoholic Wine Gums. My friends are coming up to visit and it's her birthday so I'm going to surprise her with these.
Dude, i’m gonna type as sober as possible, that honestly looks fcking pathetic and digusting compared to my meal. and I’m being one hundred percent serious. Sorry we dont cook sht that was perviously in cans. its a fuking joke dude, and im dead fuking serious. get a real family that cooks good food, drinks beer and wine and winecoolers and has a good fuking time, and has a milliondollar house on the beach, im seriously.. dont ever post your fuking poverty dinner on these forums ever the fuk again bro, and by bro i mean never my bro
hezzlington
Rep:
?
(Original post by NewcastleFresher)
Dude, i’m gonna type as sober as possible, that honestly looks fcking pathetic and digusting compared to my meal. and I’m being one hundred percent serious. Sorry we dont cook sht that was perviously in cans. its a fuking joke dude, and im dead fuking serious. get a real family that cooks good food, drinks beer and wine and winecoolers and has a good fuking time, and has a milliondollar house on the beach, im seriously.. dont ever post your fuking poverty dinner on these forums ever the fuk again bro, and by bro i mean never my bro
I won't dw

Thanks for the feedback I shall take it into account.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (586)
80.27%
Leave (144)
19.73%

Watched Threads