Popularity of Xiaoping + Shaoqi within CCP
    Youth disillusioned by '...to the countryside campaign'
    Deng Xiaoping returning to power

Did not threaten:
    Cultural rev strengthening Mao's power
    Political purges =victory in power struggle
    Power over youth
    Control in areas such as Tibet + Xinjiang

BUT it is no use having good content if your structure is flawed. Had basically no time left so put all my points for 'did threaten' in one chaotic paragraph without much expansion, and concentrated on the other side more, producing a very unbalanced argument so have also basically messed it up.

Any other things you included? What was your structure, timing etc like?
    I basically put the same as you except Deng returning to power! but yes my structure was terrible! I panicked because this is the question I did last year and I didn't do great, hence the reason I decided to resit the exam. I'm worried I won't get a good mark due to not talking about Lin Biao or the Gang of Four at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabruttledge)
    I basically put the same as you except Deng returning to power! but yes my structure was terrible! I panicked because this is the question I did last year and I didn't do great, hence the reason I decided to resit the exam. I'm worried I won't get a good mark due to not talking about Lin Biao or the Gang of Four at all.
    I didn't either, I wouldn't worry if the rest of your essay was sound. There's no right or wrong answer after all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caelmi)
    I didn't either, I wouldn't worry if the rest of your essay was sound. There's no right or wrong answer after all?
    I really hope so! Although I read the examiners report from 2015 and they were quite critical about students not taking the chronology past 1971 lol. Woops!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Susan______1)
    Because the Russia in Revolution weren't all that difficult (and I've heard the same about a few others) and it was a retakes only group do we think the grade boundaries might actually be higher i.e. 47-49 for an A?

Did anyone do the 'threat to Mao's leadership' question for Mao's China? I had much less material for one side so had an imbalanced argument - did you try for a balanced argument?
    i did the mao one, i had more for his leadership being unthreatened, talked about cult of mao, little red book, cultural revolution, his alliance with the PLA
    then for the other side i just talked about how liu and deng reversing his policies slightly threatened his leadership and also the fall of lin piao and his plot to kill mao

ReputationRep:
    I only realised how important it was to talk about Lin Biao after the exam :/. This will have cost me a level I'm sure even though my essay wasn't too bad otherwise (barring some structural probs).
    (Original post by heleena)
    i did the mao one, i had more for his leadership being unthreatened, talked about cult of mao, little red book, cultural revolution, his alliance with the PLA
    then for the other side i just talked about how liu and deng reversing his policies slightly threatened his leadership and also the fall of lin piao and his plot to kill mao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Domers_)
    I did the questions on how the Lenin and the Bolsheviks stayed in powers during 1917-1924 and Stalin's agricultural policies between 1928-1941. Couldn't have asked for better questions!
    Same! How did you argue both questions? I got super stuck on the second question and I really hate the leadership struggle and refused to revise it. 🙄😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anisa13400)
    Same! How did you argue both questions? I got super stuck on the second question and I really hate the leadership struggle and refused to revise it. 🙄😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If I remember correctly, for the first question:
    1-leadership of Lenin - determined, knew when to change from War Communism to NEP etc....
    2-However, brutality of Bolsheviks kept them in power - Red terror, forced conscription, discipline in the red army
    3- Disorganisation of opponents - whites never worked together, had differing views, no unified front against the Bolsheviks
    conclusion - Lenin was important, but other factors helped him

2nd Question
    1-Why Stalin introduced collectivization - improve agriculture, spread party control, make USSR self sufficient, help pay for industrialisation
    2-Successes of collectivization - improved agriculture, party gained control of the countryside, Kulaks removed
    3-However - millions died- Kulaks executed en mass, famine, poor conditions in cities following mechanization, peasants revolted against forced collectivization - slaughtered livestock
    conclusion - it was a success but came at a great cost.

I was the same as you, I just noped out of the Stalin & leadership struggle as soon as I saw it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.