Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslims - Will you fast during exam period? Exam clash with Ramadan Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by safiyyah98)
    Theres many of us muslims who have exams (I have my A2 exams) during Ramadan. My question is will you fast?

I myself will miss out a fast on the day of an exam and I worked out I will only miss 5 which isn't too bad as I can make them up after. However I was considering fasting even on exam days because I feel as if Allah will give me the strength to pull through but then I thought Allah doesn't want to make things hard for us and obviously Ramadan is to strengthen your personal relationship with Allah so missing 5 fasts won't be too bad considering I have good intentions, and these exams are make or break so messing it up isn't an option as it will affect the rest of my life.

So will you or will you not fast, either on exam days or the entire exam period, I was just curious to see what others are doing.
    I'm not a Muslim (but I am religious), and don't know much about the religion, but I'm kind of curious about this. Is it written that you have to fast, under any circumstances, or are you allowed to not fast if you have a reason, like exams or pregnancy? Can you just fast after the 'official' Ramadan to make up days you missed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Ayman! Zacken will you guys?
    Yep :yep: it's only hard the first week or so and then I kinda get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    Yep :yep: it's only hard the first week or so and then I kinda get used to it.
    Alright nice

ReputationRep:
    In the final year of uni guys, ive been fasting during exams for a while now, it always helped me do better, it acc helps you focus or at least i find it does

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celloel)
    I'm not a Muslim (but I am religious), and don't know much about the religion, but I'm kind of curious about this. Is it written that you have to fast, under any circumstances, or are you allowed to not fast if you have a reason, like exams or pregnancy? Can you just fast after the 'official' Ramadan to make up days you missed?
    This resembles what I've been told a lot. https://islamqa.info/en/23296

tl;dr yep a few excuses not to

ReputationRep:
    I'm always hungry so fast no fast my stomach will be rumbling in the exam hall, might aswell not lose the reward for an exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Himmy)
    In the final year of uni guys, ive been fasting during exams for a while now, it always helped me do better, it acc helps you focus or at least i find it does
    yeah voluntary fasts (mon + thurs) always seemed to enhance my performance and these were for 3 hour exams.

ReputationRep:
    I'll definitely be fasting, I've got exams in the morning, so I doubt, I'll hungry and thirsty by then.

The real struggle is in the afternoon or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Ayman! Zacken will you guys?
    Thanks for asking me aswell ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    Thanks for asking me aswell ...

I didn't know you were muslim! :O

ReputationRep:
    Obviously who wouldnt...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bruce.wayne)
    Insha Allah, I will definitely fast because i just have two Papers(A2) and I believe Allah Almighty will give me strength. Anyways what are your subjects and when is your last paper? Good Luck for your papers!
    Mashallah thats good, and I study RE, Psychology and business studies and my last exam is 22nd June Inshallah, wbu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celloel)
    It is obligatory however there are some reasons why its permissible not to fast such as pregnancy, illness, travelling etc. Exams however is a grey area, some consider it a valid reason to miss a fast and others do not so I'm guessing in this case its up to the individual and that is between them and Allah (God). You can fast anytime in the year to make up for missed fasts in Ramadan however fasts in Ramadan are very much filled with more blessings so its really someones loss if they don't.

ReputationRep:
    Most of you guys don't follow Islam how it is supposed to be followed in terms of quran and hadith. No idea why you're all fussing over whether you will fast or not during exams.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome! Do you live on campus?
    Nope! I prefer it at the comfort of my own home, but i love going on walks around the uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khanpatel321)
    Most of you guys don't follow Islam how it is supposed to be followed in terms of quran and hadith. No idea why you're all fussing over whether you will fast or not during exams.
    May I ask what you are referring to when you say we don't follow Islam based on Quran and sunnah? Because I'm pretty sure most of us like to think we are. Please enlighten me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noticemesenpai)
    Nope! I prefer it at the comfort of my own home, but i love going on walks around the uni!
    Oh nice! Inshallah I will be living on campus because for nursing theres loads of night shifts etc so its best if I just stay there. When I went to the campus for my interview I really liked it!

ReputationRep:
    It is obligatory however there are some reasons why its permissible not to fast such as pregnancy, illness, travelling etc. Exams however is a grey area, some consider it a valid reason to miss a fast and others do not so I'm guessing in this case its up to the individual and that is between them and Allah (God). You can fast anytime in the year to make up for missed fasts in Ramadan however fasts in Ramadan are very much filled with more blessings so its really someones loss if they don't.
    Exams are not a valid excuse to miss ramadan's fasts under any valid opinion. I tagged you in a previous post where I explained this. Check IslamQA for further info; type "fasting excuses".

I don't understand why you're just making up stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butternuts96)
    Exams are not a valid excuse to miss ramadan's fasts under any valid opinion. I tagged you in a previous post where I explained this. Check IslamQA for further info; type "fasting excuses".

I don't understand why you're just making up stuff?
    How am I making up stuff? It is a valid excuse. Islam was not made do be hard for us. We shouldn't see fasts as a burden and if I feel they will negatively affect my exams I will not keep them. They can cause dehydration and dizziness which is not an ideal state to take exams in, especially if they will determine if you will go to uni or not. I have spoken to a lot of knowledgeable people about Islam and they have told me the exact same thing. If you want to keep them, by all means do so, but you are allowed to miss one, if necessary, with the intention of making it up after. At the end of the day it is between an individual and Allah.

ReputationRep:
    How am I making up stuff? It is a valid excuse. Islam was not made do be hard for us. We shouldn't see fasts as a burden and if I feel they will negatively affect my exams I will not keep them. They can cause dehydration and dizziness which is not an ideal state to take exams in, especially if they will determine if you will go to uni or not. I have spoken to a lot of knowledgeable people about Islam and they have told me the exact same thing. If you want to keep them, by all means do so, but you are allowed to miss one, if necessary, with the intention of making it up after. At the end of the day it is between an individual and Allah.
    Sis do you have proof for this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.