Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does right wing media make up lies about Muslim migrants, or...? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    My Law and English is not my strong point. But 3 a year as a percentage of 5500 is 0.054% (and these priests might not have committed a crime they just failed the NCSC guild lines).

whereas its 2% of females report a sex crime each year (and this 2% are actual crimes, not guilde lines). Using Wikipedia I Cannot find a single UK catholic priest being convicted for a sex crime they committed this century (not that Wikipedia is perfect, its the only info I have). But if true, it probably means you let bias get to you (as it did for me) when you discuss Catholic Priests.

The nub of this whole discussion is can you draw conclusions as to what type of men these 2% might be.
    Wikipedia says "Strong likelyhood they commit other crimes (non-sex)".

That is why, your eye witness account as to the people you see in a Magistrate court on a daily basis is the clincher. Are there some common denominators?
    All I will say is that what I witness when I visit courts says nothing about what the actual stats are. But something that should be taken into account is that stranger rape makes up around 10% of rape cases even though they are the incidents most likely to be reported. The highest percentage of rapes are done by the victims lover/intimate partner and they usually happen in the victim's home. So I highly doubt that this idea of migrants lurking in dark alleyways, waiting to prey on European women being the main cause for the rape stats is at all accurate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    Are you sure about that? Seen some of the American articles and cartoons about Japanese during that period?
    Yes during the period, propaganda is not a realistic interpretation of the public views

ReputationRep:
    All I will say is that what I witness when I visit courts says nothing about what the actual stats are. But something that should be taken into account is that stranger rape makes up around 10% of rape cases even though they are the incidents most likely to be reported. The highest percentage of rapes are done by the victims lover/intimate partner and they usually happen in the victim's home. So I highly doubt that this idea of migrants lurking in dark alleyways, waiting to prey on European women being the main cause for the rape stats is at all accurate.
    That is true, but forced marriage is far higher within immigrant communities.

For women who are interested in wearing Islamic veils. From what I understand you are in danger of significantly increasing the likelyhood that your brothers and male relatives will view women who don't wear veils in a negative and unhelpful way.

This is where it all started - Egypt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_s...sault_in_Egypt

From wiki:
    "Mass sexual assault has played a controversial role in Egyptian politics. In May 2005 Egyptian security forces and their agents were blamed for using it during political demonstrations in Tahrir Square, Cairo, as a weapon against female protesters.[5] The behavior spread, and by 2012 sexual assault by crowds of young men was regularly seen at protests and religious festivals in Egypt.[6][7]Commentators say the attacks reflect a misogynist ideology that blames women for leaving the house, seeks to terrorize them out of public life, and views sexual violence as a source of shame for the victim, not the attacker.[8]:4–8

"
    Least we forget

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    Yes during the period, propaganda is not a realistic interpretation of the public views
    This was at a time when "coloured" folk were regarded as subhumans who needed to be kept separate from society, do you really think that the Japanese were viewed any differently?

ReputationRep:
    This was at a time when "coloured" folk were regarded as subhumans who needed to be kept separate from society, do you really think that the Japanese were viewed any differently?
    I think you might be confusing the USA with the UK. There was a lot of racism in the UK (as in any other country in the world (I'm pretty sure there are hundreds of neighbourhoods in Pakistan where it would be very dangerous to walk around if you looked too European) but there never was any segregation laws or any laws relating to colour of any form. There was internment of Northern Irish and Germans during different conflicts, but all racism was not related to government but rather working class fears (normally related to "They will do it faster and cheaper than me" (the original immigrants from India and West Indies were bought in by big business to do working class jobs at lower rates of pay) . In 2016 you will find the same prejudices against "white" poles and romanians.

ReputationRep:
    I think you might be confusing the USA with the UK. There was a lot of racism in the UK (as in any other country in the world (I'm pretty sure there are hundreds of neighbourhoods in Pakistan where it would be very dangerous to walk around if you looked too European) but there never was any segregation laws or any laws relating to colour of any form. There was internment of Northern Irish and Germans during different conflicts, but all racism was not related to government but rather working class fears (normally related to "They will do it faster and cheaper than me" (the original immigrants from India and West Indies were bought in by big business to do working class jobs at lower rates of pay) . In 2016 you will find the same prejudices against "white" poles and romanians.
    I was talking about America though.

ReputationRep:
    I was talking about America though.
    that makes no rational sense. This is a UK student board. What has the USA got to do with the title. None of the main UK media outlets are American (Murdoch is clearly only american for business reasons, he is really an Australian).

ReputationRep:
    that makes no rational sense. This is a UK student board. What has the USA got to do with the title. None of the main UK media outlets are American (Murdoch is clearly only american for business reasons, he is really an Australian).
    In the context of the post I was replying to it makes sense, I wasn't making a general statement.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.