• Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    Exactly what mobbsy has said.

I really don't think someone can get to grips with the history and way this place is run in three months. In a way I always thought choosing a single speaker was odd because what we end up doing is taking one of our best and brightest members, telling them they can't debate, make bills or do anything really but listen to people whine about their problems.
    I mean don't get me wrong I would love the job one day but it seems a little odd especially when we need more active members.
    I don't think so to be honest... If they're here every night, getting fully engaged and everything, then I think 3 months is fine... Obviously, whether we'll have someone like that, that's another matter, and in practice, it's unlikely that someone here for 3 months would become Speaker, but I wouldn't shut them down just because they hadn't been here 6 months. If I felt they could still do a better job than other candidates, I'd vote for them.

Yeh, but even if you had another Speaker, would they have alternate weeks where they're allowed to debate etc...? That then brings the problem of when there are issues which should be resolved but cross over the switchover time, it makes it more complicated... Otherwise, having more than one speaker means you're taking even more of the good members out of the pool...
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    I don't think so to be honest... If they're here every night, getting fully engaged and everything, then I think 3 months is fine... Obviously, whether we'll have someone like that, that's another matter, and in practice, it's unlikely that someone here for 3 months would become Speaker, but I wouldn't shut them down just because they hadn't been here 6 months. If I felt they could still do a better job than other candidates, I'd vote for them.

Yeh, but even if you had another Speaker, would they have alternate weeks where they're allowed to debate etc...? That then brings the problem of when there are issues which should be resolved but cross over the switchover time, it makes it more complicated... Otherwise, having more than one speaker means you're taking even more of the good members out of the pool...
    I think if you don't have a feel of how the house works you can't do a good job and I really don't think you can have that sorta feel for the house without a prolonged tenure.

I know how I would do it but I won't go into details.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    I think if you don't have a feel of how the house works you can't do a good job and I really don't think you can have that sorta feel for the house without a prolonged tenure.

I know how I would do it but I won't go into details.
    Yeh, and I think that you can have a feel for how the House works after 3 months here... And therefore could do a good job after 3 months here...

Ok... Helpful...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm not going to read this entire thread so reps for whoever tells me what has happened and why....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    I'm not going to read this entire thread so reps for whoever tells me what has happened and why....
    He could be here but wasn't due to exams and toronto basically did all the work for a month or two.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Yeh, and I think that you can have a feel for how the House works after 3 months here... And therefore could do a good job after 3 months here...

Ok... Helpful...
    I don't really belive you can. Like I have been here nearly 1 and a half years now and I would say that I just about know how the place works and all the charecters.
    Ray lost the start of term confidence motion and we are all talking about it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Shock hit the House. It was set for Ray to win the vote... New Labour MPs who probably Abstained, were probably the reason it tipped the vote in favour of Nay...
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    I don't really belive you can. Like I have been here nearly 1 and a half years now and I would say that I just about know how the place works and all the charecters.

I'm glad you don't belive... I do believe that you can though. Also, who're the charecters in the House? And I'd say that one and a half years is a long time if you're just getting to how this place works.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    He could be here but wasn't due to exams and toronto basically did all the work for a month or two.
    (Original post by Aph)

Shock hit the House. It was set for Ray to win the vote... New Labour MPs who probably Abstained, were probably the reason it tipped the vote in favour of Nay...
    I see. So we are starting to worry about Ray? (8)

Spoiler:
    Show

I have made that joke before. But I am too tired for new material :lol:

• Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Apparently so. I didn't realise that there wasn't a requirement for the candidate to be amongst the MPs, which seems a little bit odd.
    I think it makes sense in that it means anyone with experience of the MP side of the House can run. It's probably also designed to allow us to cast the net outwards as far as we reasonably can.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I'm glad you don't belive... I do believe that you can though. Also, who're the charecters in the House? And I'd say that one and a half years is a long time if you're just getting to how this place works.
    The house changes a lot rather rapidly. And you can't know until you have seen the house from multiple viewpoints. As a green I thought I knew everything about the running of the house but since joining the liberals I've realised there are subtle differences in the way each party sees the house and you can't get a rounded veiw without all these ideas added together.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    The house changes a lot rather rapidly. And you can't know until you have seen the house from multiple viewpoints. As a green I thought I knew everything about the running of the house but since joining the liberals I've realised there are subtle differences in the way each party sees the house and you can't get a rounded veiw without all these ideas added together.
    You sure that's not just because that's the Green Party... :rofl:

Out of interest, I presume that you prefer being in the Liberals?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers

Everyone prefers us.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Everyone prefers us.
    Well, you can look at it that way, or, you can look at it that people love their own Parties so much, that they don't want them to become a dumping ground... Maybe they see the Liberals as the worst Party, which is why they go there to die off...?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad

The greens were once the great party of the left and then slowly all of our best members left. I hope the liberals don't take it to heart but if the choice was between parliament XIX-XX Greens or the liberals today I would choose the greens because they were all tremendous people who I looked up to and admired greatly.
    But today, the liberals are definitely my home and where I prefer being compared to the corpse of the once great green giant. The greens aren't as friendly and green as they used to be and I don't think that they will survive.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    The greens were once the great party of the left and then slowly all of our best members left. I hope the liberals don't take it to heart but if the choice was between parliament XIX-XX Greens or the liberals today I would choose the greens because they were all tremendous people who I looked up to and admired greatly.
    But today, the liberals are definitely my home and where I prefer being compared to the corpse of the once great green giant. The greens aren't as friendly and green as they used to be and I don't think that they will survive.
    Well, to be fair, I personally saw that most of their 'green' stuff came from you if I'm honest, rather than anyone else...

One of my first 'debates' here was with you about ****ing tree hugging of all things, and how trees should be chopped down...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    The greens used to be great, then you happened

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're gonna set fire to those rainforests with the burn coming from you xD
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Well, to be fair, I personally saw that most of their 'green' stuff came from you if I'm honest, rather than anyone else...

One of my first 'debates' here was with you about ****ing tree hugging of all things, and how trees should be chopped down...
    Not really.

I don't remember that
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Would be funny except for the fact that they were in trouble before I touched power and didn't weaken until our leader went MIA
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    Not really.

I don't remember that

Would be funny except for the fact that they were in trouble before I touched power and didn't weaken until our leader went MIA
    Uh huh!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.