Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by RobML)
    I was just trying to have an interesting discussion. Could've said you were too busy to answer properly :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wheres the fun in that besides I like knowing how people thinks

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    There is a link that points out the good bits, the bad bits, the funny bits, the sexist bits, the really odd bits, with comic icons. Quite well done:

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/quran/4/index.htm#86

What do you think - is it accurate in its labelling (see right side of screen after clicking link)?
    Hi, the link you showed me is very inaccurate because English translation are not really the best.
    I can't read it all but if you have anything else please tell me and I'll try to explain. I'll give an example of what I mean.

The website you showed me has this verse;
    It is not lawful for you forcibly to ... take away a part of that which ye have given them, unless they be guilty of flagrant lewdness. - The website you gave me basically said that this verse means - If any of your women get lewd, cut off their inheritance.

But if you take the actual Arabic verse;
    يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ لاَ يَحِلُّ لَكُمْ أَن تَرِثُواْ النِّسَاء كَرْهًا وَلاَ تَعْضُلُوهُنَّ لِتَذْهَبُواْ بِبَعْضِ مَا آتَيْتُمُوهُنَّ إِلاَّ أَن يَأْتِينَ بِفَاحِشَةٍ مُّبَيِّنَةٍ وَعَاشِرُوهُنَّ بِالْمَعْرُوفِ فَإِن كَرِهْتُمُوهُنَّ فَعَسَى أَن تَكْرَهُواْ شَيْئًا وَيَجْعَلَ اللّهُ فِيهِ خَيْرًا كَثِيراً

Now if you take this verse and translate it into Arabic it means;
    O you who believe! You are forbidden to inherit women against their will, and you should not treat them with harshness, that you may take away part of the Mahr (Mahr is the money you give a woman before you get married to her) you have given them, unless they commit open illegal sexual intercourse. (If they do commit an affair you can take back the money you gave her to be your wife) And live with them honourably.

Can you see what I mean now? Compare this to what the website said - If any of your women get lewd, cut off their inheritance.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onde)
    Nevermind the media. Muhammad was proud of the violence he inflicted on others, and the first pillar of Islam requires Muslims to accept him as the messenger of Allah (as well as accepting Allah, an even more violent god).
    I love how rumors get around (sarcasm) and maybe Islam makes sense. It is the most logical religion you'll ever know and mentions Jesus and Moses and all the prophets. So before try too make statements get a brain. I will pray for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butternuts96)
    Tonight, on things that didn't happen ...
    Tonight, on lets cover up what's really going on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onde)
    I agree with you. The religion founded by Muhammad has had an extremely detrimental effect on the region.
    ???

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mona-S)
    Hi, the link you showed me is very inaccurate because English translation are not really the best.
    I can't read it all but if you have anything else please tell me and I'll try to explain. I'll give an example of what I mean.

It is not lawful for you forcibly to ... take away a part of that which ye have given them, unless they be guilty of flagrant lewdness. - The website you gave me basically said that this verse means - If any of your women get lewd, cut off their inheritance.

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ لاَ يَحِلُّ لَكُمْ أَن تَرِثُواْ النِّسَاء كَرْهًا وَلاَ تَعْضُلُوهُنَّ لِتَذْهَبُواْ بِبَعْضِ مَا آتَيْتُمُوهُنَّ إِلاَّ أَن يَأْتِينَ بِفَاحِشَةٍ مُّبَيِّنَةٍ وَعَاشِرُوهُنَّ بِالْمَعْرُوفِ فَإِن كَرِهْتُمُوهُنَّ فَعَسَى أَن تَكْرَهُواْ شَيْئًا وَيَجْعَلَ اللّهُ فِيهِ خَيْرًا كَثِيراً

O you who believe! You are forbidden to inherit women against their will, and you should not treat them with harshness, that you may take away part of the Mahr (Mahr is the money you give a woman before you get married to her) you have given them, unless they commit open illegal sexual intercourse. (If they do commit an affair you can take back the money you gave her to be your wife) And live with them honourably.

Can you see what I mean now? Compare this to what the website said - If any of your women get lewd, cut off their inheritance.
    Omg i know that verse by heart

ReputationRep:

On 4th Juz :P Page 111

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayaz789)
    On 4th Juz :P Page 111
    That's really good Mashallah! But, I think you need to stop showing off!

Have you memorised the Quran? My goal is to finally read the whole Quran this Ramadan. I really want to!

ReputationRep:

Have you memorised the Quran? My goal is to finally read the whole Quran this Ramadan. I really want to!
    Hahaha im not showing off!:P I know 15 Alhamdulillah:P 420 pages i think
    My goal is to read the whole Quran 5 times haha :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blah3210)
    Does it?

What kind of apostates?

I've read the Qur'an cover to cover multiple times - I must have missed that bit.

But wait, I thought wives could refuse to have sex with the only threat or coercion being the possibility of angels' cursing?

Men are legally obligated to a) pay the mahr (dowry) to their wives, b) be the breadwinners and financially maintain their wives and c) hire maids/baby-sitters (since women in Islam are not obligated to be caregivers). Thus it makes sense to bestow more inheritance of the men to alleviate some of the financial burden.

Different cultures have different notions of what constitutes modesty, but I think you'll find that even on beaches of the hyper-liberal West, women tend to wear an extra item, namely the bra. In other words, women tend to naturally cover up more than men. Not sure how the "can't control himself" part, but the view that men respond more to visual sexual stimuli is generally empirically supported. I think women who cover up are quite noble for their recognition of this fact of life, and their attempt to reduce the likelihood of males committing sins.

I think people in the West will eventually become disillusioned with the secular, hedonistic culture of the West. They will seek more spiritual fulfilment and order in their life; perhaps religion in the form of Islam will provide that. We don't know!

Please do!
    Disillusioned? Hedonistic? Those are pretty big words coming from someone who believes in an ideology without evidence.

I should point out that I'm a chemical physicist. I know about the reality outside of the human bubble, and as such I am in a position where I can point out the flaws in dogmatic ideologies.

I really hope that one day people like you wake up and embrace the only truth in this world - that we don't know jack about it. It's extremely arrogant of religions to even attempt to explain the natural world when not a single one which does goes about it properly. If you want answers you must come up with theories, test them rigorously and without any bias and then correct your theories and test it out again. It must be done objectively and empiricism must be strictly followed. No other way will work.

In Islam's case, it's got everything it's tried to explain indescribably wrong. I mean, so badly wrong that it's actually detrimental to those who study it. Islam, like all other religions which attempt to explain things, is little more than a monument to the stupidity of the human race. That's putting it lightly.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out things like evolution, and thereby disprove the religious model of creation. All it takes is common sense and the critical thinking skills to resist the effects of dogmas. For me, I was 6 years old and canids were my first point of study. I studied the phenotypes of different canids and the environments they live in. It didn't take long to figure out that the species were related and that each was adapted for its own environment. To be honest, I consider it blatantly obvious.

The fact that almost all religions can be disproved using common sense just goes to show how fallacious they are. I say almost because Buddhism has actually had a lot of its doctrine scientifically proven. You can actually observe the process of attaining enlightenment in PET scans. The whole thing is just the brain 'reconfiguring' itself. Obviously the stuff about rebirth hasn't been proven at all and never will be, but the parts of the doctrine which are about mindfulness and the different mental states all has. In fact, Buddhist practices are now used in psychotherapy and have proven themselves to be very effective. The others though, they've all been repeatedly butchered by common sense and scientific evidence.

It isn't the atheists in the west who need to wake up, it's the religious people who do. You only have a limited time on Earth, you might as well use it sensibly.

ReputationRep:

I gave the page and Juz in case someone actually wants to see it haha

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha im not showing off!:P I know 15 Alhamdulillah:P 420 pages i think
    My goal is to read the whole Quran 5 times haha :P
    I see you are showing off again!

No, I'm only joking haha! That's really amazing Mashallah! I haven't even done it once never mind 5 times. Inshallah you'll get to do it 5 times!

ReputationRep:
    I see you are showing off again!

No, I'm only joking haha! That's really amazing Mashallah! I haven't even done it once never mind 5 times. Inshallah you'll get to do it 5 times!
    Haha yeah got 13 A2 exams too:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I gave the page and Juz in case someone actually wants to see it haha
    I promise you I was joking, haha! I guess am not very good at sarcasm!

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah got 13 A2 exams too:rofl:
    13 A2 exams!? How is that possible?

ReputationRep:
    I promise you I was joking, haha! I guess am not very good at sarcasm!
    Hahah i never noticed :P Maybe you arent!

ReputationRep:
    13 A2 exams!? How is that possible?
    Hahaah i mean 13 exams haha at A2 including resits lol

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.