Summer 2017 Applications

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Does it look bad if I had a SW this year but didn't manage to convert it into a summer offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRSSRT)
    Does it look bad if I had a SW this year but didn't manage to convert it into a summer offer?
    you may be questioned but a lot of ppl had that and still managed to get a summer offer

ReputationRep:
    Does the whole 'putting a good word in' from a VP/MD really help? One of my mates in the year above got fast tracked past tests/apps to an interview at a Big4 because she met someone at a career fair who liked her, but surely that's the exception not the rule right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mitchell.gkm)
    Does the whole 'putting a good word in' from a VP/MD really help? One of my mates in the year above got fast tracked past tests/apps to an interview at a Big4 because she met someone at a career fair who liked her, but surely that's the exception not the rule right?
    I think in most cases it won't really matter because the VPs/MDs know there is a formal application process and they wouldn't want to be 'used' by you to circumvent that process. Unless of course they find you really exceptional.

I cold emailed a guy working at a BB who now says that he might be able to request an informal interview for me. But this was for a division that didn't have an official summer analyst program. If it did, he would have probably just asked me to apply online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mitchell.gkm)
    its always good to network and without a doubt it helps your application indirectly but yeah I agree, I would not go about networking with the mind set that I could get fast tracked

ReputationRep:
    Any open application other than GS?

ReputationRep:
    Does GS require a cover letter/essay or is ti just CV-based?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiwith)
    Does GS require a cover letter/essay or is ti just CV-based?
    300 word cover letter and CV. No tests, no extra questions, so gotta nail that cover letter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewiskh97)
    300 word cover letter and CV. No tests, no extra questions, so gotta nail that cover letter
    Are you sure there are no tests? Did you submit your application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vader9280)
    Will be submitting my app this week, from what I've read and seen, GS don't use online tests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vader9280)
    Goldman Sachs do not use tests. They have a first round video interview and then endless rounds of interviews after that instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by torres657)
    Any open application other than GS?
    Don't quote me but I think UBS opens on 1st August.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Commercial Paper)
    Goldman Sachs do not use tests. They have a first round video interview and then endless rounds of interviews after that instead.
    Do you receive a video interview invitation immediately after applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dasu95)
    Do you receive a video interview invitation immediately after applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have not submitted my application yet but I know they have changed the process this year so that first round interviews will be conducted via video. This will not come after submitting your application. You will be selected to conduct a video interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Commercial Paper)
    I have not submitted my application yet but I know they have changed the process this year so that first round interviews will be conducted via video. This will not come after submitting your application. You will be selected to conduct a video interview.
    Okay thanks for letting me know

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ps..the video interview is viewed by a robot not a HR person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheParham)
    I respected GS for caring about who they take on given how much time they invested in interviews but this is ridiculous...
    So what does the robot look for in a candidate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So you speak to a robot? I take it HR look at the recording after

ReputationRep:
    What :rofl:

This is so stupid.

Even if they had a voice recognition software in place that could understand what you're saying, it would still be viewed by someone to see your confidence/body language etc. What's the point of making it a video interview if those things aren't being judged?

ReputationRep:
    its always good to network and without a doubt it helps your application indirectly but yeah I agree, I would not go about networking with the mind set that I could get fast tracked
    This is key^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.