Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

OCR Latin GCSE Official Thread 2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igggy)
    no idea haha i know two pages and dont have time tilll after physics tomoz whcih finishes at 4...
    good luck for physics. do you also have the maths on thursday like me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellaramsay_)
    good luck for physics. do you also have the maths on thursday like me?
    yeah guessing you do igsce too? Maths should be fine tbh..then two english and finally half term:banana::banana:

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain how you calculate your overall grade, how high do you need to get in the papers to get an a*? My friend said you have to get a consistent 90%...I'm hoping not...

Anyway the lit paper today wasn't TOO bad...I loved the 8 marker (although I only made 4 points however I did develop them) but the 10 marker.............what.....I couldn't find anything to say other than the odd alliteration of t's etc - I mainly spoke about word choice Other than that though it wasn't too bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepsi Cola :))
    I am an absolute idiot 😂 Please ignore me! How did you find the exam? What did you put for the 8 mark question? Thanks
    My 8 Marker point:
    Pliny IS admirable - caring, brave, selfless, hard working
    Not admirable - unhealthy lifestyle (sleeps minimal), too much work no social life, harsh of his nephew (scolded him for walking), misses out on essential stuff like exercise etc...those were mine

ReputationRep:
    Can you just give one side of the argument for the 8 marker or does it have to be both sides?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asox)
    Can someone explain how you calculate your overall grade, how high do you need to get in the papers to get an a*? My friend said you have to get a consistent 90%...I'm hoping not...

Anyway the lit paper today wasn't TOO bad...I loved the 8 marker (although I only made 4 points however I did develop them) but the 10 marker.............what.....I couldn't find anything to say other than the odd alliteration of t's etc - I mainly spoke about word choice Other than that though it wasn't too bad.

i think its about 83%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igggy)
    i think its about 83%
    ahh thank you this makes me feel so much better

ReputationRep:
    HELLO EVERYONE
    i just saw this thread, how did everyone do for the literature this morning???
    i found it quite easy...
    i have to revise a bit more for the verse on thursday, although i dont know when i'll have time: i have a physics exam tomorrow, and then maths on thursday morning!!! oh well i'll find some time...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asox)
    ahh thank you this makes me feel so much better
    yeah thats what i thought too but u might wanna check coz i'mnot sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellaramsay_)
    Anyone doing their verse exam on Thursday? Anyone doing Nisus and Euryalus :s?
    YES and im kind of stressed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igggy)
    yeah thats what i thought too but u might wanna check coz i'mnot sure
    Took me ages to find it but page 38 http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/246983-...ludes-gcse.pdf

Last year the raw marks for a* were:
    Language 1: 48/60 (80%)
    Language 2: 51/60 (85%)
    Prose Set Text: 42/50 (84%)
    Verse Set Text: 41/50 (82%)
    Overall: 82.65% so yeah 83%

I think Language 1 will be higher this year though but hopefully language 2 will go down as quite a few people found it hard this year.

ReputationRep:
    also (sorry for talking so much lol)
    am i the only one who finds the latin exams kind of fun?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mowglisroad)
    you are weird

ReputationRep:
    anyone made a mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    No you're not ahah I find Latin so interesting I'm doing A level next year ..

ReputationRep:
    HELLO EVERYONE
    i just saw this thread, how did everyone do for the literature this morning???
    i found it quite easy...
    i have to revise a bit more for the verse on thursday, although i dont know when i'll have time: i have a physics exam tomorrow, and then maths on thursday morning!!! oh well i'll find some time...

I found it quite easy too the 8 and 10 mark questions were quite good I think .. Just need to revise verse for Thursday, same day as maths oh great..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asox)
    Took me ages to find it but page 38 http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/246983-...ludes-gcse.pdf

Last year the raw marks for a* were:
    Language 1: 48/60 (80%)
    Language 2: 51/60 (85%)
    Prose Set Text: 42/50 (84%)
    Verse Set Text: 41/50 (82%)
    Overall: 82.65% so yeah 83%

I think Language 1 will be higher this year though but hopefully language 2 will go down as quite a few people found it hard this year.
    Wow they seem quite low.. I thought you needed to get like 90% on all papers but yeah I hope the boundaries are low this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunny181113)
    My 8 Marker point:
    Pliny IS admirable - caring, brave, selfless, hard working
    Not admirable - unhealthy lifestyle (sleeps minimal), too much work no social life, harsh of his nephew (scolded him for walking), misses out on essential stuff like exercise etc...those were mine
    Yeah I put similar things to you, I quite liked the questions wasn't too hard what sort literature points did you make for 10 mark question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepsi Cola :))
    Actually the Latin exams have surprisingly been really good for me so far! I think that they have been better than all the mocks/past papers I did (lol hope I don't jinx it 😂). What did u put for the 8 and 10 markers? I only came up with 6 for the 10 marker (is that enough?) and I hope my 8 marker was OK because my 8 markers in the past haven't been great ngl! 😬
    For the 8 and 10 marker you only need to make half the number of points so for 8 marker you only needed 4 points and explain each of them well so you're probably fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 14Abbott)
    How did you guys find prose (Pliny??) Am I the only one who thought the 10-marker was really hard for style points???
    Overall the paper was okay. I was hoping for something a bit easier, purely because I just did not recognise any of the 5 mark translation passage [until after the exam ] and I didn't find many points for the 10 marker either.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.