Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For the conditions of cracking hydrocarbons , can you say high pressure?

ReputationRep:
    for the 1 marker the answer was thermal decomposition would of i got a mark for saying oxidisation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackbarry1999)
    for the 1 marker the answer was thermal decomposition would of i got a mark for saying oxidisation?
    I dont think so , sorry buddy . For those 1 markers, you pretty much got to state the process there looking for

ReputationRep:
    it was an easy paper.. however i made silly mistakes and think i got 48-49.. will that not be high enough for an A* now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalebistheDOn)
    Nah the 5 marks imo are:

1. Reacted with Hydrogen
    2. At 60 degrees celc.
    3. With a Nickel catalyst
    4. It makes it easier to spread in products like margerine
    5. Have a longer shelf life.

At least that's what I got.
    I put all those points do you think this is right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YAY GCSE)
    For the fractional distillation of water and ethanol i did it a weird way and put: heat the whole solution above 100 degrees so it vapourises and pass it through the column. Then since the water and ethanol have different boiling points and the chamber has a temperature gradient they condense at different points in te chamber.

Ik this is ALOT different to what it was meant to be but how many marks will i get?? Thanks!
    I did that as well but I'm not sure if i'll get all the marks because they might have wanted the other method. I think it's still a right process though, the whole fractionating column thing, maybe one or two marks out of the three

ReputationRep:
    Any idea about grade boundaries?
    my thoughts were;
    52-60 A*
    45-51 A
    35-44 B
    24-34 C

Only guessing from last years grade boundaries and how easy i found that one compared to today's exam.

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember being asked to draw the electronic structure on the first question help!!!

ReputationRep:
    Do you think I will get "Carbon"?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For the catalyst question could you of said
    - high temperatures
    - high pressures?

ReputationRep:
    For the catalyst question could you of put
    -high temperatures and high pressures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abigail_lions)
    I can't remember being asked to draw the electronic structure on the first question help!!!
    Bit late now darling.

It was asking about the Boron element and its placement of electrons. You basically had to just add 3 (x's or O's) to the outer shells. (Maybe just 2 can't remember) but basically boron has 5 electrons so I think it gave you 2 electrons to start and just add 3 more. (or 2 more)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SM45367)
    it was an easy paper.. however i made silly mistakes and think i got 48-49.. will that not be high enough for an A* now?
    It might be an A*, if not definitely a high A. You can still get an A* overall if you get A*s on C2 and C3

ReputationRep:
    I got like 20/60

ReputationRep:
    So I got 47/50 for my ISA, and I think I got about 49-51 today?
    How well will I have to do in the other 2 exams to get an A* overall for chemistry??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pu55yd3stroyer)
    I got like 20/60
    Ha youre an idiot I got like at least 45/60 you sweaty coon doofus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunny181113)
    So I got 47/50 for my ISA, and I think I got about 49-51 today?
    How well will I have to do in the other 2 exams to get an A* overall for chemistry??
    You won't get an A* because you touch yourself at night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJB2K)
    I think it might be around 52 for an A*.
    If you get an A* on each of the three exams I think you are pretty likely to get an A* overall.
    Last year C1 seemed easier...so I think between 50-52

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pu55yd3stroyer)
    You won't get an A* because you touch yourself at night
    Cheers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceFantatic)
    Question 1
    Electron shell: 2,3( 1 mark)
    nucleus( 1 mark)
    ( +1), electrons( -1), neutron is uncharged( 3 marks)- not sure if it was in the nucleus or just the atom overall

Not in form 2,8,8, has 1,8Boron has 10 electrons, the structure had 9 electrons( 3 marks)

Question 2
    Tick box: copper oxide(1)

20.3(2 marks)

Digital thermometer, more precise and not subject to human error
    Beaker insulated(2)

Carbon particles produced( particulates)Insufficient oxygen or incomplete combustion(2)

Best fuel because it produces least smoke/ burns the most cleanly. Produces the most energy per g(2)

Question 3
    Advantages of hydrogen;
    Only product water
    Renewable
    Provides more energy
    No co2 or s02 released

Disadvantages:
    Hydrogen is explosive
    Hard to store because it is a gas
    From natural gas( methane which is a greenhouse gas)
    Engines need to be converted( 6 marks)

Thermal decomposition(1)

Question on potassium carbonate: doesn't fully thermally decompose, co2 not released, Bunsen burner temperature is not high enough( 3 marks)

Reactivity question: the lower the metal on the reactivity series, the easier it is broken down(2)

Question 4:
    Conditions for cracking: high temperatures and a hot catalyst(2)

Fermentation question: sugar is dissolved and yeast is added to make ethanol(2)

Ethanol question: ethene is reacted with steam at high temperatures and catalyst(2)

Advantages and disadvantages of crude oil vs plants: Crude oil is a continuous process so faster, crude oil is more widely available, crude oil more reliable and things are set up for crude oil fractions

Non renewable, co2( global warming), SO2

(4 marks)

Question 5
    metal ores are ores which contain enough of the metal to be worthwhile extracting( 1 mark)

It is converted to steel because cast iron is brittle or to make it stronger
    Steel has more uses
    Corrosion resistant
    ( 2 marks)

2Fe2O3+ 3C = 4Fe+ 3CO2( 2 marks)

It is not sent to landfill because this takes up space and causes pollution
    It is not reused as it might have lost its strength and become unstable. Saves energy being used. Conserves raw materials
    3 marks)

Question on distillation: Heat mixture between 80-99 degrees, the ethanol evaporates, cools and condenses to form pure ethanol and then raise temperature to 100 when all ethanol has evaporated to do the same to water( 3 marks).

Question on carbon neutral: carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas
    This takes up CO2 when it grows in photosynthesis
    The same amount is released when biofuel or oils are burned
    So no overall increase in CO2
    Continuous Carbon Cycle(3)

Last question on hydrogenation; 60 degrees, reacted with hydrogen, nickel catalyst, double bonds converted into single bonds, increasing boiling point, done so that's it's a solid at room temperature for a thick, spreadable consistency (5)

Mark somewhere for completing drawing of the alkane(1)

Bromine goes colourless somewhere(1)

Took me a while to make so any rep would be much appreciated
    Didn't it say natural gas was the source of hydrogen, thus renewable for hydrogen doesn't count as an advantage?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.