Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ambarellarose)
    How did you guys do?
    Unit 1 A
    Unit 2 B

So A overall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ambarellarose;[url="tel:67093888")
    67093888[/url]]How did you guys do?
    Unit 1: 49/75
    Unit 2: 43/75
    Wbu?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone answer these? They're so hard and will be the sorts of questions we'll get on the paper Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1475349488.201692.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  53.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1475349496.539337.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  52.6 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halliethestudent)
    Can anyone answer these? They're so hard and will be the sorts of questions we'll get on the paper Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1475349488.201692.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  53.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1475349496.539337.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  52.6 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cant even read them sorry. Are these the the specimen papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valbrechts)
    Cant even read them sorry. Are these the the specimen papers?
    No it's very old questions I've been given to help me revise
    "An alternative method of dialysis is peritoneal dialysis. In this instead of the blood being cleaned using an artificial membrane outside the Body it is cleaned inside the body. It used the peritoneum , the thin membrane that surround the organs of the abdomen. The peritoneum is well supplied with blood vessels. This membrane has two layers and the space between them is used as a reservoir for the dialysis fluid. The fluid remains in the body for a few hours after which it is drained out and replaced without fresh dialysis fluid. This procedure needs to take place four times a day"1) explain why the peritoneum is a suitable membrane for dialysis within the body 2) using the information provided and your own knowledge suggest why peritoneal dialysis needs to take place four times a day whereas haemodialysis only needs to take place three times a week3) suggest how the dialysis fluid may be altered to allow more water to be removed from the blood4) if peritoneal dialysis is used for long term treatment the peritoneum becomes thickened. Suggest how and why this affects the efficiency of peritoneal dialysis

ReputationRep:
    1) in close contact with the blood so more likely that diffusion will take place due to short diffusion pathway ; two membranes means more filtration I suppose?
    2) not sure, I haven't done dialysis in class yet
    3) add more ions and make it more hypertonic, decreasing the water potential making it more likely for water to move out
    4) it happens more slowly because of a larger diffusion pathway

These are just my suggestions, and guesses at best - am only at the beginning of my course

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have the paper or mark scheme for this exam? cheers

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.