The Student Room Group

3C and 4C Government and Politics 2016

Scroll to see replies

45-50 mins on 15 markers (maximise marks in these)

40-45 mins for 45 marker

Considering an A last year was 63 (in unit 3), if you got 12 in each of the 15 markers that's 36 marks then you only need 27/45 in the 45 marker for an A. Considering 15 markers tend to be easier I'll be focussing on them to max my marks out.

If you're aiming for a B then last year that was 56 marks. So definitely spend more time on 15 markers imo.
Reply 201
How many paragraphs do I need for the 15 mark questions? I've planned for 3 with examples, is that enough for the top grades?
Reply 202
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
If there is a 45 marker on reforming the electoral college, what points would that include? :smile:

So if it's a question like "The electoral college should be replaced by national popular vote" would points include:

It should - because EC doesn't reflect popular vote
It shouldn't - because this would mean candidates would only visit highly populated areas and neglect others

It should - Third parties don't have influence in the EC system
It shouldn't - The two party system would still be in place so third parties would not do much better in national vote

It should - EC focuses too much on swing states and neglects smaller states, so a national popular vote would change this
It shouldn't - EC votes influence how the campaign goes and so it can't be criticised

It should - The EC mandate is only artificially strong
It shouldn't - It would lead to a rise in third parties, and so the winner would not gain a 50% mandate

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to check my main arguments are right before I memorise a potentially wrong one :colondollar:

In addition you could also talk about the following for 'should'
1)- President & Vice President from different parties
. This hasn't happened in the modern era
. But the risk is still high
. As in the early days of the USA such a risk was not an issue, as political parties were nowhere near as entrenched.
E.G. 2008 Obama = Democrat ( President)
Sarah Palin (Possible Vice-President) = Republican
. As a consequence of there being different parties within key roles, Gridlock is more likely to occur.
. No-one originally voted for such a combination on the balanced ticket, you can almost liken this to the UK Coalition government, originally the electorate did not vote for a coalition.
. As a result the Executives legitimacy and mandate is open to questioning.
2)Rogue/ Faithless electors
. Most states have laws that require their elector to cast their ballots for the state wide winner.
However some electors do not, this can be further evidenced by:
- District of Columbia, who allow electors to cast ballots for other candidates.
- This occurred in 2000, where Al Gore got 266 EC votes rather than 267.
In addition Checks and balances protects the USA system from tyranny.
- Congress, SC, White House separation of powers guards ( arguably) against tyranny in the Government.
- Whereas the Electors...
. Guard against tyranny from the people, they are ultimately the check and balance on the voice of the people at presidential election. ( therefore those faithless electors are not acting on behalf of the people but their own belief... this is undemocratic and unrepresentative.)
Reply 203
does anyone have any predictions for 4c? would be crazy appreciated :smile:
'How and why have electioneering activities of pressure groups increased in recent years?' How would I answer this?!
Reply 205
Original post by MW11
How many paragraphs do I need for the 15 mark questions? I've planned for 3 with examples, is that enough for the top grades?

3 solid para's loaded with examples is 100% fine. You really don't have time to do 4.
This is a compilation of comments as a general examiners report based on the 2015 exam. It clarifies the structure and important things to remember! Hope it helps x
image.jpeg
Reply 207
If I got an A in one unit at AS and a D in the other, equaling a B overall, how many UMS do I need this year for an A? I retook the unit I got a D in (the teacher I had last year was awful) so hopefully it will bump my grade up a bit.
Original post by laxu79
If I got an A in one unit at AS and a D in the other, equaling a B overall, how many UMS do I need this year for an A? I retook the unit I got a D in (the teacher I had last year was awful) so hopefully it will bump my grade up a bit.

You need 320UMS overall for an A so if you have a B from AS you got between 140-159 so you need around 160-180 this year (but obviously less if your as resit is an improvement) x
Reply 209
Original post by alleseer98
You need 320UMS overall for an A so if you have a B from AS you got between 140-159 so you need around 160-180 this year (but obviously less if your as resit is an improvement) x

Thank you! So what marks do I need roughly? really want an A in this but hope I didn't mess up the retake. x
Original post by laxu79
Thank you! So what marks do I need roughly? really want an A in this but hope I didn't mess up the retake. x

Between around 62-68/90 on each paper, going off last year's grade boundaries x
So any final predictions for the 15 markers?
Original post by Lion467

campaign finance came up last year but it would be befitting for this yr too
i believe pressure groups and elections
Original post by Lion467

I have written down (from looking at various pages in this thread)
- What type of voters vote Repub/Dem
- Something to do with invisible primary (so probably something like, what is it and assess significance)
- What factors affect Pressure group success
- How do Pressure groups influence senate

I don't have any for race though
- Something to do with invisible primary (so probably something like, what is it and assess significance)

What would you write for what factors affect Pressure group success?
Would that be diversity, weak parties ect?
Original post by MelissaaC
What would you write for what factors affect Pressure group success?
Would that be diversity, weak parties ect?

I have written down:
Membership size - the government is more likely to work with the biggest groups
Wealth - They can pay for lobbying (use club for growth as example)
Grassroots - AARP, Tea Party (pink slips) all use grassroot activism to gain success
Access points - They can go to places like the senate and supreme court

You could also have factors like news coverage/advertising, iron triangles etc..
I have written down:
Membership size - the government is more likely to work with the biggest groups
Wealth - They can pay for lobbying (use club for growth as example)
Grassroots - AARP, Tea Party (pink slips) all use grassroot activism to gain success
Access points - They can go to places like the senate and supreme court

You could also have factors like news coverage/advertising, iron triangles etc..

Perfect thank you!
Original post by Lion467

I think there may be 2 15 markers on parties... definitely one on a party faction such as moderates/right or left wing influence.

Maybe for pressure groups one on how and why pressure groups influence the Senate, and for Elections the invisible primary or maybe caucuses.
Original post by JonesyA0
I think there may be 2 15 markers on parties... definitely one on a party faction such as moderates/right or left wing influence.

Maybe for pressure groups one on how and why pressure groups influence the Senate, and for Elections the invisible primary or maybe caucuses.

I haven't really gone over factions, what information would I include?

What would you write for assess the significance of invisible primaries/ primaries ? could you say:

- Strong showing, Bush had a weak showing thus dropped out in January as he was too moderate in comparison to Rubio, Trump and Cruz
- Finance, Obama gained the endorsement of Oprah in 2007 and finance wise by October 2015 bush had already raised $120,000
- Media coverage, Trump has gained loads of free air time and has allowed him to become renowned amongst the public, invisible primaries is when he first introduced the idea of building a wall between Mexico = reaction amongst the media

I don't really know what else to say?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending