LSE 2017 Applicants

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yua)
    you can feel one of two ways - jealous or motivated. why be the former? who wants to be a salty loser their whole life? just be motivated, there are people out there with amazing grades and as a student you should aspire to get those grades.
    That's a totally fair argument, and I admire those who achieve their potential. But I disagree with the concept of coming onto forums to gloat about your achievements - someone with 11A*s might make someone with 11Cs feel terrible about his grades, but who knows what that someone's circumstances were?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gmahapatra)
    That's a totally fair argument, and I admire those who achieve their potential. But I disagree with the concept of coming onto forums to gloat about your achievements - someone with 11A*s might make someone with 11Cs feel terrible about his grades, but who knows what that someone's circumstances were?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    of course they're going to feel bad, that's human nature and it's a good thing. if you have 11C's and your friend has 11A*'s, then try and get all As at AS rather than sitting on a forum getting angry at someone who, most likely, studied for many many hours. they deserved it. the best way to get what you want in life is to deserve it. if you chill with your friends or watch youtube all day you shouldn't be complaining when the guy who sits on his ass for many hours every single day and revises gets higher grades than you. wouldn't it be crazy if the people who didn't put in any work got the highest grades? but that's not how the universe works. if you're upset about your grades, tough. just work harder next time round and prove everyone wrong and most importantly prove to yourself that you're not an idiot. its such a simple concept but bitter people will always make excuses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yua)
    of course they're going to feel bad, that's human nature and it's a good thing. if you have 11C's and your friend has 11A*'s, then try and get all As at AS rather than sitting on a forum getting angry at someone who, most likely, studied for many many hours. they deserved it. the best way to get what you want in life is to deserve it. if you chill with your friends or watch youtube all day you shouldn't be complaining when the guy who sits on his ass for many hours every single day and revises gets higher grades than you. wouldn't it be crazy if the people who didn't put in any work got the highest grades? but that's not how the universe works. if you're upset about your grades, tough. just work harder next time round and prove everyone wrong and most importantly prove to yourself that you're not an idiot. its such a simple concept but bitter people will always make excuses.
    No okay fair enough, I understand that if someone's done no work they don't deserve success. But on the other hand, if someone has faced adversity or other things outside of their control they can't be held responsible for their results entirely. And whilst it's admirable to get good results, we should always remember that not everyone is equally fortunate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gmahapatra)
    No okay fair enough, I understand that if someone's done no work they don't deserve success. But on the other hand, if someone has faced adversity or other things outside of their control they can't be held responsible for their results entirely. And whilst it's admirable to get good results, we should always remember that not everyone is equally fortunate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    no one is upset at people who get poor results for reasons beyond their control. i never said that. but i'm sure those people won't feel bad about getting poor grades, because its justified if they really did everything that was in their control. its the people who don't work hard, get poor grades, and then act salty towards people who worked incredibly hard and have the top grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yua)
    no one is upset at people who get poor results for reasons beyond their control. i never said that. but i'm sure those people won't feel bad about getting poor grades, because its justified if they really did everything that was in their control. its the people who don't work hard, get poor grades, and then act salty towards people who worked incredibly hard and have the top grades.
    Okay yes I agree. But the root of this argument lies in my irritation with people who go onto forums to gloat about their results, and maybe that's wrong, but oh well - we all fall prey to cognitive bias sometimes ;P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Finally finished my personal statement, however my 'extra activities' such as sport etc and more about me is only about 10% of my personal statement and LSE states to write about 25%, do you think this will be a big problem and will they think I'm not well rounded enough?? Or am I paying to much attention to the percentages

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nc_x)
    Finally finished my personal statement, however my 'extra activities' such as sport etc and more about me is only about 10% of my personal statement and LSE states to write about 25%, do you think this will be a big problem and will they think I'm not well rounded enough?? Or am I paying to much attention to the percentages

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For what course?

25% is just a general idea, you dont have to write 25% if you dont want to. So as long as you write useful things as a whole, then it should be good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fbiemad)
    For what course?

25% is just a general idea, you dont have to write 25% if you dont want to. So as long as you write useful things as a whole, then it should be good.
    Thank you! And accounting and finance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Scottish student and just finished my application... I've got straight As so my grades are good but I'm applying for different things at different unis. I've applied to lse for government and history but I'm applying for economics and history elsewhere so guess that'll stand against me straight away for mentioning another subject 😔

ReputationRep:
    I ll be taking bsc finance, I dont have any finance related extra activity, will it be okay to mention that I'm currently in the semifinals of a entrepreneurship game(we're starting up a small business)? Will it be irrelevant?

ReputationRep:
    Hi for those who have submitted their applications to LSE, has anyone received a welcome email from LSE?

ReputationRep:
    I applied for international relations yesterday. The wait is going to be sooooo long!

ReputationRep:
    I want to refer to hedge funds in my PS. Is this okay for an Economics PS or would it only be suitable for Finance applicants?

ReputationRep:
    Will almost everyone applying to LSE bsc economics have further maths at AS or A level because I didnt take it on and now im panicking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1221212)
    maths , further maths, econ and physics
    Same👍🤔

ReputationRep:
    When is a good time to send a UCAS application off ? I am also applying to LSE for Management.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smiley444)
    Will almost everyone applying to LSE bsc economics have further maths at AS or A level because I didnt take it on and now im panicking.
    People doing A-Levels usually have it. I have seen people without Further Maths getting an offer (so dont panic), but mostly have at least AS Further Maths. Also, remember that many IB students get accepted and they dont have Further Maths too.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

I am applying for economics as a 27yo mature student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueberry.89)
    Hello everyone!

I am applying for economics as a 27yo mature student.
    Undergraduate or postgraduate?
    With what grades are you applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fbiemad)
    Undergraduate or postgraduate?
    With what grades are you applying?
    Undergraduate.

GCSE (2006): 10A* 1A

A-level (2008): AAAa in Maths*, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology AS
    *Maths is grade A* using current criteria

Self-studying Economics and Maths A-level this year.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.