The Student Room Group

Edexcel s1 June 2016 unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Could someone please just remind me how they worked out the answers to part f) in Question 2? I might have got the right answer but I'm not sure, I can remember the method I used but not the exact answers. Cheers:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 202
Q3(e) What effect will 14mm rain and 70hrs sunshine have on the PMCC?

As the PMCC is -0.753.. this suggests moderate linear negative correlation, i.e. the more rain the less sunshine. As both values (14mm and 70 hrs) are above the mean (10.85mm and 58hrs) this would suggest as one increases so does the other! Therefore this is contrary to the negative correlation and will therefore increase it, bringing it closer to zero.

That's what I thought anyway
Reply 203
I got 233 instead of 206 anyone know where i went wrong
[QUOTE="civ1;65839343"]I got 233 instead of 206 anyone know where i went wrong[/QUOTE

I did this at first too, you worked out the Z value for x<240= 80% and then did 1- the Z value but should just make the z value negative as it isn't a probability. Hope this helps it's quite hard to explain.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 205
[QUOTE="SashaWicks;65841315"]
Original post by civ1
I got 233 instead of 206 anyone know where i went wrong[/QUOTE

I did this at first too, you worked out the Z value for x<240= 80% and then did 1- the Z value but should just make the z value negative as it isn't a probability. Hope this helps it's quite hard to explain.

Hiw many marks could i get if any?
[QUOTE="civ1;65841907"]
Original post by SashaWicks

Hiw many marks could i get if any?

I think you would get 1 out of 3 for working out the Z value maybe?
Question paper?
Reply 208
do any of you guys know why 'physics and maths tutor' has not put up the model answers for this exam?
It's so frustrating that not a single person can post model answers with the paper online. I want to know what I got now, not in 2 months
Original post by speed1✈️✈️
It's so frustrating that not a single person can post model answers with the paper online. I want to know what I got now, not in 2 months

Why is it though? Like if anything they just get you worked up about your grade until result's day which puts you off your A2 and relaxing over the summer. I think the mark schemes come out in a month anyway (I think)
Original post by studentsixth
Why is it though? Like if anything they just get you worked up about your grade until result's day which puts you off your A2 and relaxing over the summer. I think the mark schemes come out in a month anyway (I think)

I disagree, last year I knew (for a fact) that I was going get a high A in AS Maths (roughly 88-91ums) by looking at Arsey's mark schemes, and I was bang on correct - I got 266 at AS. I just want to know what mark I got in S1 (how low or high the A is) so that I can know what I need to score in C3/C4 to get an A overall (and I cba for both)
Original post by thesporkthief
For 6b, I worked out the top 20% as the 20% with the longest times (I'm an idiot) because I misread the question. Do you think I'll lose all three marks or scrape one for doing the right method, just with the wrong values? I need all the marks I can get tbh
I did the same thing and I'm expecting to get 1/3 for it. A similar question about a race was asked as question 4 in June 2011; you could get 3/4 (M1A1M1A0) with a +/- error (the same mistake we made). So I imagine we'll get 1 or even 2 marks.
Original post by speed1✈️✈️
I disagree, last year I knew (for a fact) that I was going get a high A in AS Maths (roughly 88-91ums) by looking at Arsey's mark schemes, and I was bang on correct - I got 266 at AS. I just want to know what mark I got in S1 (how low or high the A is) so that I can know what I need to score in C3/C4 to get an A overall (and I cba for both)

266 is a great score at AS, why did you re-sit S1 if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 214
Original post by mmdndndndnd
anyone remember question 6b word for word and can do a worked solution , i got 200 and something but cant remember if it was 203 or 206 !!

i could do it again if i saw the question but i can gaaruntee it was 206.something=206 minutes, this was the one where you got given that he want to be in the top 20% so do PI(z)=0.20, look up 0.20 on the small (z) table which takes values from the positive side which is 0.8416 on a normal distribution cure but then change it to negative as its on the negative side of the symmetry (as we took the values from the table as positive) then do -0.8416=x-(the given mean)/(given standard deviation)
Original post by studentsixth
266 is a great score at AS, why did you re-sit S1 if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah it is a good score I think. I did M1 at AS😅.
Original post by TSRPAV
i could do it again if i saw the question but i can gaaruntee it was 206.something=206 minutes, this was the one where you got given that he want to be in the top 20% so do PI(z)=0.20, look up 0.20 on the small (z) table which takes values from the positive side which is 0.8416 on a normal distribution cure but then change it to negative as its on the negative side of the symmetry (as we took the values from the table as positive) then do -0.8416=x-(the given mean)/(given standard deviation)

mean was 240 so s.d was 40 which gives the 206 , i got 206.4 any idea why and should it still be full marks got -0.84 for z value
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
w=0.721 + 0.0142d
5.691 response was wiggle
2.p=0.175 q=0.15
varx=2.115
E (r) was 0.45 rebecca and sarah winning 0.475 0.375
3. 2.35 -133.9 -0.754
4.0 0.03 0.22 0.45 0.405 33 was number of diners
5. K=0.5
h=17
med=3.47
6. 0.0668

Feel free to correct or give answers to non numerical questions

Original post by KloppOClock
could you format it a bit better please

Original post by logicmaryam
Hey guys
Was told to post my answers on a separate thread so it doesn't get lost in the other thread.
I've got my answers here:

Predicting 58 ish is an A and not much lower because it wasn't that bad of a paper. Loads of people thought it was OK or slightly harder. Theory questions threw me off a bit though.

Q1. 11 total i think
a) was Sdd or something (3)
b) wiggles is the response variable as it changes depending distance (1)
c) r = 0.722 + 0.014d
d) d= 350 sub in so w = 5.6 ish?
Q2 Sarah one
a) equation is 2p + q = 0.5
b) a= 0.175 b= 0.15
c) idk
d) E(R) = 0.45?
e) Sarah wins = 0.475 Rebeccawins= 0.375

Q3 with frequencies?
a) heigh of bar and width igot something like 34cm and 1cm?
b) show that Syy is (1) didn’tdo this right lol
c) PMCC
d) SD
e) What were the other questions?

Q4 Hotel one
a) 0
b) t =0.03
c) u = 0.22
d) 0.45 and 15/37
e) diners 16? Some people say 33

Q5
a) median 3.47
b) SD = 0.689?
c) mean proof 3.43
d) Probability baby wasunder 3kg something like 0.2546
e) explain the use ofthe model? (2)I said that althoughthe range chosen was appropriate as mean was 3.43 for both and SD was close tothe calculated one, there is negative skew as median>mean so not good to use this model as mean and SD are affected by skew.
f) effect of adding baby weight of 3.43 on (3)
i) mean I said staysthe same because I sneakily calculated it , because the frequency becomes 51and value is within range or something
ii) SD change "Others said it stayed thesame, but I wrote that it decreases, because now the average distance from themean is slightly less (as n has increased by 1 but deviance hasn't changed)".

Q6.
a) 0.0668 men took over 300 min to run
b) needs to run below 206.33 minutes to be in 20% of people who finish first
c)
d) the mew one0.18/0.5 = 0.36 (3)

Let me know what I'm missing and I've done wrong as well as the marks for each if you remember

Original post by veldt127
Ok, I managed to get all my answers stored in my calculator at the end, this is what I got. Not 100% sure on all of them, but we can compare.

Question 1

Spoiler

Question 2

Spoiler

Question 3

Spoiler

Question 4

Spoiler

Question 5

Spoiler

Question 6

Spoiler

nice, add some spoilers to each questions.

also, itd be a cool idea if you found out the marks of each question and put a strawpoll asking how many marks you got, that way we could guess grade boundaries a lot easier.

Original post by Apolexian
dont agree with 3a
i think it should be w=0.5 from comparing class width
area of given bar =4
A=kF
4=k8 k=0.5
so area of this bar =0.5x17=8.5
h=8.5/0.5=17

Original post by SANTR
Just out of interest how did you reach the answer for 2(e). What did you have to do to the given Probability Distribution table?

Original post by veldt127
Sorry, why do I need to spoiler answers? If someone's on this thread they'll want to see answers right? I'm new to this so sorry if there's another reason

I found the reciprocal of each score, then multiplied by the probability. Have to say I wasn't sure on that one.

so it doesnt take up half the screen, its just nicer formattin

Original post by Florent venhari
I got these wrong:
2 f ii)
3 e) maybe I got one mark
4 d i)
4 e)
5 e) lost 1-2 marks
5 f ii)
6 c) maybe I got one mark for getting 0.5 as one of the probabilities.

Oh wells :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4170245&p=65854175#post65854175

YESSS! thank you so much :smile: turns out I lost 10 marks so 65 whoop whoop
Original post by logicmaryam
YESSS! thank you so much :smile: turns out I lost 10 marks so 65 whoop whoop

Should be at least 90ums, I thought this paper was tricky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending