Turn on thread page Beta

2016 AQA Chemistry C2 - Unofficial Mark Scheme 2016 watch

• View Poll Results: How many marks do you think you got out of 60?
    0 - 10 marks
    1.86%
    11 - 20 marks
    2.26%
    21 - 30 marks
    10.23%
    31 - 40 marks
    19.52%
    41 - 50 marks
    36.25%
    51 - 60 marks
    29.88%

ReputationRep:
    I put add a lid to the beaker for the thermometer question as less heat would escape. Is this correct also?

ReputationRep:
    On the question about the gas formed in electrolysis, was it hydrogen or chlorine?

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do really bad in these or am I the only one

ReputationRep:
    what was the balancing equation answer?

ReputationRep:
    For the first question making sure it was more accurate, you could also Put a lid on or insulate the beaker so that no energy / heat is lost to the surroundings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackbarry1999)
    For the question about the magnesium chloride did people talk about ionic boding?
    Yes I did

ReputationRep:
    For the accuracy could you not have putting a lid on the beaker to reduce heat loss by evaporation? seeing as it was measuring the temperature?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgihumbert3)
    On the question about the gas formed in electrolysis, was it hydrogen or chlorine?
    I think hydrogen, because it said about the negative electrode and chlorine goes to the positive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackbarry1999)
    For the 2 variables I said to keep constant the volume of sodium thiosulfate and hydrochloric acid is this right?
    Yepp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArMy07)
    For the first question making sure it was more accurate, you could also Put a lid on or insulate the beaker so that no energy / heat is lost to the surroundings.
    i put this too! the question was about temperature change of water so surely it would be right?

ReputationRep:
    It was chlorine because its a halide and it was present, if there was no halide then it would have been oxygen and not hydrogen. Hydrogen did form but on the other electrode

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woodypecker-99)
    For the accuracy could you not have putting a lid on the beaker to reduce heat loss by evaporation? seeing as it was measuring the temperature?
    Thats right too.

ReputationRep:
    For the two control variables I put to keep the volume the same in each repeat and keep the concentrations the same because they also quicken the rate of reaction, would that be correct?

ReputationRep:
    For the equation one I put 82.4% because I thought you had to do it specifically. Will I lose a mark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aadam_160)
    what was the balancing equation answer?
    I got 2cl- => cl2 + 2e-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woodypecker-99)
    i put this too! the question was about temperature change of water so surely it would be right?
    Yes I think so -a similar question came up in a past paper and that was the answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    A nano particle is bigger than a atom.
    Nano particles are "of the order of a few hundred atoms" <<<This is what you needed. Copied directly from the spec here.

ReputationRep:
    I put chlorine because I thought it asked about the positive electrode but most people put hydrogen, so I'm questioning what it said and my ability to read🤔🤔

ReputationRep:
    Nanoparticles are bigger than atoms! An atom is absolutely tiny, a nanoparticle consists of hundreds of atoms.

Could have been 82% or 82.353% or 82.4% [(14/17) * 100] depending on how you round the percentage of Nitrogen in ammonia.

How to do the experiment at 5 degrees - I put increase the concentration of the reactants, so the time isn't too long, as a higher concentration has a faster rate of reaction. (Not sure, but I put that)

More accurate results - Lid, or insulation, to prevent heat loss.

Control variables - concentration of reactants, volume of reactants, person determining cross, when to start the timer and finish the timer.

There was a question on how Mg2+ ions bond with Cl- ions, so Mg2+ has lost 2 electrons to form an ion, and Cl- has gained an electron, 2 chloride ions formed, one magnesium ion. Ionic Bond.

Hydrogen gas produced at the negative electrode, as it is less reactive than Magnesium.

Limewater question at the start (may have been C3, I don't know) - Carbon dioxide reacts with limewater to make a calcium carbonate precipitate, causing the limewater to go cloudy/milky white.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alyxgower)
    For the equation one I put 82.4% because I thought you had to do it specifically. Will I lose a mark?
    I don't think you will lose a mark, surely it's better to be specific? I put that too.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 2, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.