Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I didn't realise how interesting a chap he was until your post inspired me to google; he also learned and spoke Arabic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, he was very able and cosmopolitan. He spent most of his life outside Britain serving in the British Army running the Empire.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an immigrant and I'm voting OUT.
    What are you going to do about that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vault111)
    I'm an immigrant and I'm voting OUT.
    What are you going to do about that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Uhhh good for you? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    That's very selfish though, what about those just about to finish their time in the education system, and had planned to go to Europe to find work? Or even stay, but the economy melts for a bit. It's quite risky don't you think?

Don't attack me as if I'm voting on the other side to you, I'm yet to make a decision, please just argue like a normal human being should. Argue the point in the man.
    You really don't need to tell me how to defend my point, I'm not attacking you.

I fail to see how you can interpret my post as being selfish. Even if there is a short-term hit to the economy (and even whether that will happen in the event of Brexit is pure speculation) the whole country will emerge stronger together in the long term, uncoupled from the mess that is the EU. This vote will provide a once-in-a-generation opportunity for the public (rather than the politicians) to say 'we don't like what this political, legal, financial and regulatory entity is forcing through and the damage it's doing to our country'.

If we were hypothetically outside the EU and you could vote, today, to join the EU in its current form (including the farcical monthly moves between Strasbourg and Brussels wasting £100million a year) would you?

This country has survived recessions in the past, and it will survive them in the future. The world won't suddenly end on Friday, no matter which side wins.

Come Friday, if the result is Brexit, you will still be perfectly able to look for work in Europe - in practical terms nothing will change for at least 2 years. Even after then, you will still be able to get a job in Europe, you'll just have to go through whatever visa arrangement is agreed by then. Some countries may have reciprocal arrangements. Unfortunately there's little detail on how that would work yet.

I would be extremely happy to trade off some short-term economic uncertainty against the certainty of a future where we would have full control over our own laws, taxes and finances. People will vote tomorrow based on their own particular interests and concerns - my vote is based on what I see as the bigger, long-term picture for the good of the country.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Looks like the answer was: no, we can't cope!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    Absolute rubbish. We're coping fine right now, and we haven't even actually left the EU yet. Even George Osbourne said this.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    Based on what metric?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    We're not as culturally rich as Switzerland. We'd have nothing without our empire and the immigrants that make this country.
    How come Kenya and UAE are not dust and bones. They are not in he EU
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Manchester_123)
    How come Kenya and UAE are not dust and bones. They are not in he EU
    Kenya has a GDP/capita of $1,245. How well do you think that compares to the UK?

UAE has oil.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    Absolute rubbish. We're coping fine right now, and we haven't even actually left the EU yet. Even George Osbourne said this.
    You wont really know how we are coping till the trade figures start coming in over the next 1,2,3,5,10,15 years.

We are essentially still un the EU and the exit arrangements have yet to be decided.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Kenya has a GDP/capita of $1,245. How well do you think that compares to the UK?

UAE has oil.
    Australia is not in the EU, doesn't have huge amounts of oil, and a higher GDP per capita than we do. Also with higher GDP per capita outside the EU: Norway, Iceland, USA, Singapore, San Marino, and Macau if you wish to count it as a country, according to the IMF; also Canada according to the World Bank; and Monaco, Lichtenstein, Qatar, the Cayman Islands, and Bermuda according to the UN. Not all of those are rich in oil or natural resources.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Australia is not in the EU, doesn't have huge amounts of oil, and a higher GDP per capita than we do. Also with higher GDP per capita outside the EU: Norway, Iceland, USA, Singapore, San Marino, and Macau if you wish to count it as a country, according to the IMF; also Canada according to the World Bank; and Monaco, Lichtenstein, Qatar, the Cayman Islands, and Bermuda according to the UN. Not all of those are rich in oil or natural resources.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You are seriously presenting Monacao, Lichtenstein, Macau, Bermuda, the Cayman Islands and San Marino as being good EU equivalents?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You are seriously presenting Monacao, Lichtenstein, Macau, Bermuda, the Cayman Islands and San Marino as being good EU equivalents?
    Care to touch any of the other ones that have a HIGHER GDP per capita, or are you too afraid they undermine your argument?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Qatar

Norway is part of EFTA pays not far off what the UK does and has to accpet the free movement of people.

Iceland
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Qatar

Norway is part of EFTA pays not far off what the UK does and has to accpet the free movement of people.

Iceland
    Canada USA Singapore, and funnily enough Iceland isn't there falling to pieces despite being out of the EU and not having masses of hydrocarbons

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Care to touch any of the other ones that have a HIGHER GDP per capita, or are you too afraid they undermine your argument?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem, but going out will have to be this evening. Just mystified why you use so many inappropriate examples.

America is big enough to have its own internal market. Its also a super power. It also has much higher productivity than the UK .

Canada is next door and also part of NAFTA, which gives them a market of nearly 500 million people. They have considerable natural resources.

Australia also has considerable natural resources, which it can sell to its neighbours.

The UK has to deal with how it will interact with the EU its largest market.
    So the question is not cna we cope , but how well will we cope.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    Yes, see for yourself:

Dont let the biased, EU funded politicians, 'experts' and media fool you.
    Switzerland is surviving much better without the EU.
    We can do this British people, the proof is here.
    By the looks of these crybaby threads:

:no:
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Canada USA Singapore, and funnily enough Iceland isn't there falling to pieces despite being out of the EU and not having masses of hydrocarbons

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So now you think Iceland is comparable to the UK? A country of 320,000 that sells mostly fish and raw materials? Good job. They are part of the EEA and pay for the privilege, have free movement and part of schengen.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Let me check the UK's current aluminium assets. Oh we don't have any.

These days we are a service economy. Services are provided by people. We have good people in the UK, but there are good people elsewhere too...

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.