The Student Room Group

SQA Results Day 2016 - Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I was hoping for advice regarding applying to do a joint degree of psychology and Spanish. I've passed my 5 highers first sitting at AAAAC (Spanish, French, English, modern studies, and human biology respectively) so I know I have the minimum requirement for Strathclyde and Stirling (I think?). One of the things I'm not sure about is whether or not it's worth to do 6th year for some more qualifications or just to take a gap year to volunteer and work. Anyone know if the competition is high for such degrees? Also, I'm not entirely certain of which other unis in the West of Scotland actually offer that particular joint degree. I know Glasgow does but it doesn't seem worth applying as I haven't met their minimum. Otherwise it doesn't seem like places like Cale and UWS offer it? I've checked Heriot Watt too but they don't seem to offer a joint degree. Any advice about unis who offer it is appreciated. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 201
Original post by Catseeker
Hi, I was hoping for advice regarding applying to do a joint degree of psychology and Spanish. I've passed my 5 highers first sitting at AAAAC (Spanish, French, English, modern studies, and human biology respectively) so I know I have the minimum requirement for Strathclyde and Stirling (I think?). One of the things I'm not sure about is whether or not it's worth to do 6th year for some more qualifications or just to take a gap year to volunteer and work. Anyone know if the competition is high for such degrees? Also, I'm not entirely certain of which other unis in the West of Scotland actually offer that particular joint degree. I know Glasgow does but it doesn't seem worth applying as I haven't met their minimum. Otherwise it doesn't seem like places like Cale and UWS offer it? I've checked Heriot Watt too but they don't seem to offer a joint degree. Any advice about unis who offer it is appreciated. Thanks! :smile:

If you want to go to Glasgow then you could stay on and do extra highers/advanced highers. Alternatively you could work/volunteer during the week, go to your local college and ask about night time classes for higher, do a couple of qualifications there whilst you are, hopefully, earning money for uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, is there any deadlines for sqa exam marking review requests?
My friend got AAABB in highers and has a strong CV.. She wants to do medicine, any advice on what she could do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My friend got AAABB in Her highers, and she really wants to do medicine, any advice on what she could do??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry my messages keep sending twice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doshi....
My friend got AAABB in Her highers, and she really wants to do medicine, any advice on what she could do??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most unis ask for minimum 4A's 1B, However Dundee Uni's minimum requirements are 3A's and 2B's.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/study/ug/medicine/#info-entry-requirements

I'd advise her to apply to Dundee as it seems like this is the only university which she meets the requirements.

If she wants to apply in England or Wales or northern Ireland then she should look at this entry requirements book:

It appears that the Imperial College London School of Medicine and Queen’s University Belfast, Medical School is another option for her as they accept 3A's and 2B's at higher.
Original post by A+Hunter
Most unis ask for minimum 4A's 1B, However Dundee Uni's minimum requirements are 3A's and 2B's.

I'd advise her to apply to Dundee as it seems like this is the only university which she meets the requirements.

If she wants to apply in England or Wales or northern Ireland then she should look at this entry requirements book:

It appears that the Imperial College London School of Medicine and Queen’s University Belfast, Medical School is another option for her as they accept 3A's and 2B's at higher.

Thanks so much! 😊 Dundee seems quite competitive, she will have to get a really good UKCAT score. I think she's going to visit Belfast. Is a shame cause she's a really smart student..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stormqwd
Hey, is there any deadlines for sqa exam marking review requests?

9 August 2016 Opening date for clerical check or marking review requests, for all qualifications
19 August 2016 Closing date for priority marking review requests (for candidates with a conditional offer at university or college)
30 August 2016 Closing date for clerical check or marking review requests, for all qualifications where there are externally assessed components of the Course assessment
Thanks so much! 😊 Dundee seems quite competitive, she will have to get a really good UKCAT score. I think she's going to visit Belfast. Is a shame cause she's a really smart student..

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem.

Tell her not to worry much. The grades aren't all that matters. Obviously 5A's would look better, But it ain't the end of the world. If she gets a high score in her UKCAT, writes a good personal statement and also get some RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE she could get an interview offer and then things will kick on from there God willing.
Original post by A+Hunter
No problem.

Tell her not to worry much. The grades aren't all that matters. Obviously 5A's would look better, But it ain't the end of the world. If she gets a high score in her UKCAT, writes a good personal statement and also get some RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE she could get an interview offer and then things will kick on from there God willing.

Aw haha thank you! Yes she has work experience and she will get a good UKCAT score I'll make sure she does 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aw haha thank you! Yes she has work experience and she will get a good UKCAT score I'll make sure she does 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol hope she will as well.
Original post by sameehaiqbal
9 August 2016 Opening date for clerical check or marking review requests, for all qualifications
19 August 2016 Closing date for priority marking review requests (for candidates with a conditional offer at university or college)
30 August 2016 Closing date for clerical check or marking review requests, for all qualifications where there are externally assessed components of the Course assessment

Sorry I dont quite understand what you mean, so does that mean that if I have not applied to university my request for a clerical review will not be prioritised ?, I'll be applying next year though
Original post by stormqwd
Sorry I dont quite understand what you mean, so does that mean that if I have not applied to university my request for a clerical review will not be prioritised ?, I'll be applying next year though

Yes thats correct so you have until 30th August to get a marking review whilst university candidates have until the 19th.
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Yes thats correct so you have until 30th August to get a marking review whilst university candidates have until the 19th.

Ok, Thanks
Reply 215
Original post by Mystery.
Nice, I was actually thinking of that course. Do you think I'd be at a disadvantage because I haven't done any computing even at N5 ? I mean I have taught myself very basic Java but I doubt that's enough.

Nope, not at all. I'm going to be an amateur to some folk when I start the course but they do say that no one needs to have prior experience. In-fact they actually like people who haven't coded a lot before, as it allows them to get you into good habits, as it's a lot harder for them to break some peoples old bad habits. By the time 1st year has ended everyone will be at the same level of knowledge, so don't worry about it at all. Give us a msg if you have anymore questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 216
hi my son got 2As in compuying and english and 3bs in physics ,math and bio .he want to do al and software eng from edinburgh uni .and he is choosing ah physics ,ah math and ah bio .what you think he got any chance to get in edinburgh uni
Original post by tyj
hi my son got 2As in compuying and english and 3bs in physics ,math and bio .he want to do al and software eng from edinburgh uni .and he is choosing ah physics ,ah math and ah bio .what you think he got any chance to get in edinburgh uni

I'm sorry but is your son by any chance called Yaseen lol ? I have a frend called yaseen who got the same results you described and he wants to to study AI and software engineering at Edinburgh. Anyway as for edinburgh uni i do believe he still has a chance, i just googled the entry requirements and it says the minimum entry requirements are 2A's and 2B's but it does suggest having higher maths at Grade A. But i imagine entries are competetive so i would think he would most likely receive a conditional if he applied and would be accepted based on advanced highers results, i think he would have to achieve at least a B in advanced higher maths to be accepted cause he didn't get the A at higher. Well that's what i think would most likely happen, when he applies just see what Edinburgh says.
Original post by tyj

Not saying he won't do well, just a little heads up, make sure he works really hard for AH since he got Bs for those subjects in H. Although the jump from H to AH is not as big as the one from Standard Grade to H --Oh guess he would have done Nat 5 instead? Same idea though. Anyway, from personal experience, I would say there's a very good reason why many teachers state that you can only take an AH subject if you achieved an A for it in Higher. My friend told me ages ago about a statistic she found on how it was more likely for grade 1 students in StandardG to achieve an A in H, and same with H to AH.
For Edin Uni check their website for entry requirements, normally its something along the lines of, "get blah blah by the end of s5, or achieve by the end of s6". And, of course, build up a really strong personal statement (work exp, reading of relevant magazines etc., extracurricular activities and so on). Ah, and tell him to watch how much time he actually takes out of his studying for AH and project time on all this uni application/interview stuff.
Good Luck! Not an expert, just went through days of stress when I applied for uni myself haha.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 219
Would it be too late to call my firm and tell them I want to leave if I get accepted by another uni via adjustment?

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest