Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    No idea. 30,000 people are petitioning for it. (A separate petition to this one).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Interesting. Will keep an eye on it, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I voted remain and even though I applaud this petition for its efforts, I doubt it will change a thing. If a second referendum does come in to play, it will only cause further uproar and commotion amongst those who voted to leave.
    Leave has won, and we have to respect that vote even if we don't agree with it. Right now, as a country we need to bridge the divide we have amongst people and only work towards a better future for this country, and still have good relations with the EU and the rest of the world.
    This however seems to be overwhelmingly uncertain.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)
    145.000 so far, wish it was at least 16 million..... :smug:

Hope we get a 2nd as said it's so so close. Like leadership votes when too close, a 2nd vote is done so should we be allowed on a referendum!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    410,000 now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tes5983)
    move on to fact that Britain IS ON THE VERGE OF SPLITTING UP!
    Not as much as the EU is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dann.It)
    I voted remain, however i think there shouldn't be a second referendum. And it should remain as it is, to teach people a lesson, about taking voting seriously (just like the person above has said).
    Why didn't people vote seriously, because they voted different to your views or some other reason?

ReputationRep:
    "The people have spoken. I don't like what they say so let's try that again." - The definition of democracy by those 400,000 people. Disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    I voted Remain but I think this petition is pointless. Leave won fair and square - let this be a lesson for people (in general) to take referendums and elections seriously and actually vote. Hopefully it sinks in by the time the next general election is upon us and we don't destroy this country any further.
    I doubt there'll be another referendum but I think it is a good way to show that people aren't pleased with the result. It weakens the mandate of Brexit. It's one of those things that unlikely to lead anywhere but that's worth a try anyways.

Also most MPs don't want to leave the EU so they might try push for another referendum with the support of the people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManThatCan)
    "The people have spoken. I don't like what they say so let's try that again." - The definition of democracy by those 400,000 people. Disgusting.
    The people have spoken and they're divided. Leave won by a margin of 4%. Although 51.9% of the UK voting population want to leave the EU, you have to remember 48.1% don't. The margins are far too close for you to say 'the people have spoken'. The 'people' aren't united into one body.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus Christ. You authoritarians have gone and taken the biscuit on this one. You cant force public opinion to change because you disagree with the result. You really do hate democracy, dont you

ReputationRep:
    Thats amazing. "We dont like the result of the people! Vote again until we get the right result"

These people probably think they are liberals too. IDIOTS

ReputationRep:
    Huh??? I was just passing there and ended up reading all of this :boing:, there is a big debate

Btw, i do agree that the difference is really small but with the 3 million immigrants (who want the uk to stay), the difference is big with more wanting to remain

Why is it that immigrants cant vote? They still live in the UK and most of them, if not all, will continue living here? So... Why??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mediaya)
    Huh??? I was just passing there and ended up reading all of this :boing:, there is a big debate

Btw, i do agree that the difference is really small but with the 3 million immigrants (who want the uk to stay), the difference is big with more wanting to remain

Why is it that immigrants cant vote? They still live in the UK and most of them, if not all, will continue living here? So... Why??
    The same reason prisoners cant vote on prison laws (Funnily enough the ECHR told us its against their human rights)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rlove95)
    The people have spoken and they're divided. Leave won by a margin of 4%. Although 51.9% of the UK voting population want to leave the EU, you have to remember 48.1% don't. The margins are far too close for you to say 'the people have spoken'. The 'people' aren't united into one body.
    It isn't enough to justify leaving and also many voters were duped by false claims, like the 350m saving, which the Leave leaders now admit was false.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    It isn't enough to justify leaving and also many voters were duped by false claims, like the 350m saving, which the Leave leaders now admit was false.
    Exactly. Some leavers even signed that petition after realising the lies and false promises. My uncle voted for us to leave but after seeing the results he signed the petition for a second referendum/. So leavers, it's not all remainers signing the petition.

ReputationRep:
    At the moment we have over 500,000 signatures for the petition.
    By the deadline- 25th November 2016 we should have over one million signatures meaning which strongly bypasses the number of signatures needed (100,000)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rlove95)
    Preach!

ReputationRep:
    Leave won a fair and democratic election. End of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Thats amazing. "We dont like the result of the people! Vote again until we get the right result"

These people probably think they are liberals too. IDIOTS
    People thought the eu might try that not the self proclaimed progressives
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Can you answer why the progressives want to take the vote from people it seems regressive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    There is a petition calling for a 2nd Referendum.

It's so popular it's crashing the gov site
    => https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7099996.html

Edit to add: Over 400,000 signatures now.
    Signed, don't know if it'll do any good though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    A democratic majority in a free and fair election is not enough to justify leaving? Absurd.

People are not stupid, no matter how much you may like to think. They vote the way which is right for them and no amount of virtue signaling will change that. Saying the people were "duped" and couldn't decide what was best for themselves is frankly retarded.

Politicians did not decide to leave the EU, the people did.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.