Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People who voted remain who aren't being dramatic and ridiculous post Brexit decision watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by William Pitt)
    Oh Cecily but are you not disturbed by the fact that it is the 50+ years old C1/C2 people who have dragged all of the youth out of the European Union? I mean, your generation is going to be around a little bit longer.
    The majority of younger voters have no ****ing idea what they are on about, most of them source their facts from the lad bible ffs. I am thankful for the older generation (whatever their motivation to vote was) for allowing the prospect of long term economic growth to happen when I eventually want to enter the job market

ReputationRep:
    My support swung between the two, I started out as a leave supporter but after hearing and meeting with Gordon Brown I felt the optimism and positives we had from the EU, he's quite a character, one I wish led the campaign from the start. But I then changed my mind again, not because I despise the EU, not because of immigration but because I believe we can have access to the single market outside the EU which will mean we follow EU regulations when we work with them but follow our own regulations when trading with other countries. Some might call it a step back in globalisation, I see it as "absolute globalisation" where we are not limited in global trade but instead can expand our global trade, where making a trade deal doesn't mean handing over sovereignty and handing over political power to an undemocratic institution. I think we were in a sort of Isolated globalisation and looking forward I think we can retain access to the single market while expanding our trade to historic partners. One thing we failed to realize was our problems at home before blaming others as we so often do… we talk about undemocratic processes in the EU but yet we don't have an issue using FPTP to our parliament, at least the EU uses PR.

ReputationRep:
    I really followed this referendum and was fully informed enough to make my own decision (I voted leave) but now I've voted leave, which I stick by, I'm tired of hearing about the referendum - it's everywhere. I just want to get away from it now! People need to accept we've left and move on, the world isn't going to end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Ffs you are such a thinly veiled Brexiter. I genuinely do not understand why you'd lie to random strangers on an Internet forum. I find it seriously pathetic.
    What
    The
    Actual

I'm seriously really really sick of you saying I voted brexit when I did not but the reason I am being grounded and not hysteric is because the vote is literally irrelevant now. What we voted is literally over. We are leaving and I overcame the vote not going my way in about an hour and since have despaired at the people who voted the same way as me being arrogant *****. You included.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you being so biased? I'm sorry but you so clearly did vote Brexit, because you haven't a balanced view at all. If you voted to Stay you'd at least accept the economists predictions as a concern.

I don't get you at all. Yet again diminishing expert opinion. What is it about brexiters and their persistence in their own ignorance? Or is it an arrogance to continuously ignore the experts?

And are you telling me, that when you made your vote, you did not base it on any prediction for the future of our country at all? Because if not, then what the **** did you base your vote on- if not a future prediction?
    All you go on about is expert predictions. Experts do not always get it right. Where on earth were the experts in the 08 crash? too blinded by their own arrogance and confidence in their 'expertise' that they failed to predict or even warn of what was coming when the markers were all there and it was very very obvious to anyone who cared to just look. Expert opinions are still just opinions. And normally they are associated with the government or have some kind of bias which you probably don't even consider.

I personally think we are better in than we are out but we are out now and that's why my mindset has changed- do you know much about adapting to circumstance? You are acting like your passion for remain actually makes a difference but now the vote is over it doesn't. Get the **** over yourself and stop assuming that because I'm actually looking forward and not dwelling on not getting my own way I must have voted leave.

The irony and your arrogance is far too much to take. You listened to a few predictions and got a bit anxious and voted remain. I get it.

Also did you not see the OP of the thread because I think I made it quite clear I didn't want to discuss this anymore with arrogant entitled pricks like you so please whine elsewhere.... There are plenty of places all around the Internet where you will find safe spaces to whine.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think economically we're in a pickle because we don't know what will happen...but the middle class, right-on lefty numpties on my FB feed with their tears and their 'this country is a mess/I'm ashamed to call myself British' spiel are making me cringe, so thank god for this thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YellowWallpaper)
    Well, I think economically we're in a pickle because we don't know what will happen...but the middle class, right-on lefty numpties on my FB feed with their tears and their 'this country is a mess/I'm ashamed to call myself British' spiel are making me cringe, so thank god for this thread!
    It's the ashamed to call myself British line that got to me too.

Ashamed to be British but apparently not ashamed to be a complete ****. Lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Yes, the Blairites are petulant children, still like Ostriches with heads firmly buried in the sand. They have not a trace of humility, or self reflection, it was Blair's legacy that got us to this point and threatened the UK's integrity. They are totally oblivious to why people didn't fall in line and do 'as they should', and how they lost their core vote. They are still just calling for more of the same looking like past remnants..

When I see the superficiality, spite and contempt for democracy some remainers have, I feel increasingly sure of how I voted, but no I am not insulting all of them, you are clearly objective and very intelligent. The inhumanity and sneering towards the poor or uncool is their nastiest trait which oddly enough is see as a Tory thing. They see to think it's all made OK by cosmopolitanism and a few social liberal beliefs. I think maybe there is a lot of projection and another bout of self hatred going on with Labour, or New Labourites. They hate anyone leftist who moves Labour that way, and they also seem to know deep down that their claim to moral superiority over Tories is vapid; essentially that people can see they are frauds who represent the few. They have an existential crisis.

That's off the top of my head, it may be total bollox.
    It wasn't total boll*x

I'm curious . What do you mean by Blairs legacy getting us to this point? The reason I ask is because I agree but I strongly suspect my interpretation of his legacy is totally different to yours. I know you explained a bit.

The main reason we got to this point is because New Labour deliberately allowed wide scale immigration into this country without any thought to the long term consequences so far as the affect on the poorest people in our country was concerned.

Edit ok I accept that they also began not representing Labours core vote but of course they had to occupy the centre /centre right to get majorities

Brown then made changes to the benefits system which made it even more attractive for migrants to come and work here.And of course spent huge amounts of money the country couldn't afford

By the way I thought your point about the sneering from remainers *towards the kind of poor people who voted leave was very important.

The best thing that this referendum has done is to make everyone fully aware of what this country is above everything else.

Utterly utterly divided.

And utterly divided among so many faultlines that no government will be able to put it together again for decades.

*I have appeared to 'sneer ' myself at them on occasion. I will have had my reasons but anyway I don't claim to be in any way a good person . I'm probably part of the problem if I'm honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferrus)
    And I despair. He's a fantasist. How are you going to stop the EU retaliating?
    The EU will not retaliate. Merkel (the only person that matters in Europe) has made an extremely cautious statement.

Some German manufacturers probably told her that, "well, if we retaliate, we won't sell as many cars in the UK as a result." She also knows that Spain doesn't have a government (today's elections continue the gridlock), and would be unable to respond to a collapse of the real estate market there, which would follow any restriction on British expats or investments.

The EU is currently in a terrible shape; European markets have all plunged, not just the FTSE. Merkel wants the things to be done smoothly and rapidly. There will be no punishment to rapidly get the deal done. It is the best interest of everybody to have a peaceful and swift divorce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggis)

The main reason we got to this point is because New Labour deliberately allowed wide scale immigration into this country without any thought to the long term consequences so far as the affect on the poorest people in our country was concerned.
    I remember that the UK also pushed for accepting Eastern European countries into the EU.

The irony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I remember that the UK also pushed for accepting Eastern European countries into the EU.

The irony.
    Ha well. I have no problem with that. I think that welcoming these countries into the fold was probably a sensible thing to do.You probably do too I imagine.

(Funnily enough today's Financial Times has a list of 11 mistakes that lead to remain losing and Tony Blairs mistake is one of them.)

ReputationRep:
    Have a google on what expert economists predict. And also google the open letter by 100 leaders of our universities. That might be a good place to start if you want to feel more concerned.

Saying that I'd much rather be like you and be less aware of the consequences!
    'expert economists predict' keyword: predict.
    Predictions aren't always right. Fair enough there are different degrees of likelihood but don't be so pessimistic about a situation that YOU cannot change. Just accept it.

I didn't say there wasn't going to be bad consequences, of course there is. Just if you think this country is 100% screwed and done for then to be blunt you're wrong.
    I understand there are concerns and issues but I also understand that leave won and some people need to accept that.

Also admitting to defeat in terms of my vote and opinions doesn't make me unaware of the consequences. It just means I accepted that remain lost.
    Being incredibly patronising isn't going to change the fact that we're leaving is it now?

But since you can be as patronising as that you clearly know what's going to happen to us 100% definitely. Or is that wrong to assume? Just like you are assuming I am oblivious to the consequences of this referendum based on less than probably 100 words I said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mgill17)
    'expert economists predict' keyword: predict.
    Predictions aren't always right. Fair enough there are different degrees of likelihood but don't be so pessimistic about a situation that YOU cannot change. Just accept it.

I didn't say there wasn't going to be bad consequences, of course there is. Just if you think this country is 100% screwed and done for then to be blunt you're wrong.
    I understand there are concerns and issues but I also understand that leave won and some people need to accept that.

Also admitting to defeat in terms of my vote and opinions doesn't make me unaware of the consequences. It just means I accepted that remain lost.
    Being incredibly patronising isn't going to change the fact that we're leaving is it now?

But since you can be as patronising as that you clearly know what's going to happen to us 100% definitely. Or is that wrong to assume? Just like you are assuming I am oblivious to the consequences of this referendum based on less than probably 100 words I said.

Just keep ignoring the experts to make yourself feel better love.

ReputationRep:
    'love' aw how patronising...cute.

Never said I was ignoring experts. OF COURSE THERE ARE GOING TO BE CONSEQUENCES <----Look there. Did you see it? If I ignored the experts I'd be living in some surreal 'it's not even going to be bad' world. I'm not. I KNOW THERE ARE GOING TO BE CONSEQUENCES <---wow there it is again. Get off your high fatalistic horse. We both wanted the same outcome of this referendum and you "informing" me of what the experts 'predict' IS NOT, I REPEAT, IS NOT GOING TO STOP THE FACT THAT WE ARE LEAVING.

You didn't even reply with any address to what I just said to you. I'll ask again.
    Do you know 100% what's going to happen to us or not?

And again, you assumed I haven't looked into any of this purely based on me
    accepting that brexit has won, because they did win. Find a way to deal with it. Regardless of the consequences.

Also, it's not even a valid response if you can't address that to how I responded to you.

ReputationRep:
    Do you understand how repetitive you sound. What exactly are you hoping to achieve?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cecily Neville)
    Do you understand how repetitive you sound. What exactly are you hoping to achieve?
    Nothing I suppose. As a recent psychology graduate I have studied the tendency for the cognitive bias of ignoring information regarding a topic concerning risk, that conflicts with ones own ideologies. Even if that information is by experts, and the argument strong. Selective-attention, retention, biased assimilation and confirmation bias. All well known to those who study risk perception.

Of course, I've read about this in study upon study, all of which have found this to be true in topics such as climate change, nuclear power, stem cell research etc. But seeing people in real life so adamantly sticking their fingers in their ears and going "la la la la la, can't hear can't hear!" still makes my chest tight.

What you should say is that you accept the risk, and you personally feel the benefit outweighs the risk, as opposed to denying the risk in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mgill17)
    'love' aw how patronising...cute.

Never said I was ignoring experts. OF COURSE THERE ARE GOING TO BE CONSEQUENCES <----Look there. Did you see it? If I ignored the experts I'd be living in some surreal 'it's not even going to be bad' world. I'm not. I KNOW THERE ARE GOING TO BE CONSEQUENCES <---wow there it is again. Get off your high fatalistic horse. We both wanted the same outcome of this referendum and you "informing" me of what the experts 'predict' IS NOT, I REPEAT, IS NOT GOING TO STOP THE FACT THAT WE ARE LEAVING.

You didn't even reply with any address to what I just said to you. I'll ask again.
    Do you know 100% what's going to happen to us or not?

And again, you assumed I haven't looked into any of this purely based on me
    accepting that brexit has won, because they did win. Find a way to deal with it. Regardless of the consequences.

Also, it's not even a valid response if you can't address that to how I responded to you.

Tl;dr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YellowWallpaper)
    (Original post by Cecily Neville)
    It's the ashamed to call myself British line that got to me too.

Ashamed to be British but apparently not ashamed to be a complete ****. Lmao.
    My god, how right you both are.
    I am really quite sick of my facebook feed being filled with people "feeling sad" about the referendum result and how "hate has won" and how "it wasn't democratic" with their long prolonged speeches, the most words they have ever written on facebook in their life. Aw, sad day for the UK BOO HOO.

Plus all this "not in my name" rubbish... it's really getting to me.... then someone has the cheek to SHARE a link to the second EU referendum.

Any of you see the ladbible stuff on fb/instagram? It's really sad, they have a massive pro-EU agenda and they won't stop filling my feed with rubbish lol

ReputationRep:
    I was for remain, however it's over now and nothing can change the result. I read a few articles and I think that if we lower our taxes on businesses by 10% (like I saw in The [Sunday?] Times) and our have a deal similar to Canada we will be alright and might even be better off.

ReputationRep:
    Tl;dr
    Clearly no rebuttal to counteract me then.
    Don't try to 'educate' me with your expert's predictions then be too ignorant to accept that you can't argue a point back. You clearly need to do more research.
    Pathetic. Pathetic and ignorant. We are leaving the EU. Accept it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.