Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Article: Is it possible to predict what universities will do on results day? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If universities post their clearing grade requirements, are they solid and not willing to change/go lower?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CantonHero)
    If universities post their clearing grade requirements, are they solid and not willing to change/go lower?
    Ask an academic today and the answer is they are solid. Ask an academic a week into clearing who knows that his department is not sustainable with the number of students he has recruited that year, and the answer may be different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Ask an academic today and the answer is they are solid. Ask an academic a week into clearing who knows that his department is not sustainable with the number of students he has recruited that year, and the answer may be different.
    Okay, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    If i'm changing my course and going through clearing, do i need to have a new personal statement at hand in case? I checked on UCAS and they said some ask for a new one but some don't.
    Not sure what to do..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezme39)
    I'm looking at a Russell Group science course, which previously offered AAA/AAB, and it IS in clearing without specified grades at the moment. My worst case scenario is ABB, so worth a try on results day?
    Hey
    If the clearing grades are specified do you know where I would be able to find them?
    On the university website? Or on a clearing list somewhere? Thanks ^-^
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by x__bx)
    If i'm changing my course and going through clearing, do i need to have a new personal statement at hand in case? I checked on UCAS and they said some ask for a new one but some don't.
    Not sure what to do..
    Yes you should do a new one incase they ask.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Lissy14)
    Hey
    If the clearing grades are specified do you know where I would be able to find them?
    Which university are you looking at Lissy?
    Until their up on ucas the only place you might find them is on a unis website really.

ReputationRep:
    Remember though, the removal of student number controls doesn't apply to NHS-funded courses.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    Remember though, the removal of student number controls doesn't apply to NHS-funded courses.
    Their not in clearing too often anyway and if they are their incredibly limited

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Until their up on ucas the only place you might find them is on a unis website really.
    Will the grades be put next to the uni and course on ucas then?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Yes the ucas clearing search is open from 6pm on the 12th so have a look on wednesday

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    Hey, some of them were released a week or so ago, but the majority have gone now. Those ones could be found through the telegraph clearing list. I was looking at Southampton and Leicester
    I believe universities are mostly presenting their own clearing lists on their websites on Tuesday/Wednesday - and these are the ones where people have missed their offers etc.
    That's where I will be looking anyway, but the full list can of course be found on results day with the Telegraph

ReputationRep:
    Yes the ucas clearing search is open from 6pm on the 12th so have a look on wednesday
    Ok

I looked on the Scottish clearing list on the ucas website (which is already open) and it didn't list grades next to the courses. (Not even Scottish highers grades)

Are Scottish courses just different? Or am I looking in the wrong place or something?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Ok

I looked on the Scottish clearing list on the ucas website (which is already open) and it didn't list grades next to the courses. (Not even Scottish highers grades)

Are Scottish courses just different? Or am I looking in the wrong place or something?
    They might have grades listed on the entry requirements tab, if not then I d say check the uni website as not all the unis seem to put all their requirements on ucas.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing offer grades aren't passed to UCAS. The details on UCAS are those that applied to the course back in September.
    No they won't. Before ringing any uni you should check their website first to see if the course still has space (UCAS course search lags behind by around an hour). If they have published lower grades for clearing then it will be on the website ( if not then 1-2 grades below the standard offer is a reasonable rule of thumb)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Clearing offer grades aren't passed to UCAS. The details on UCAS are those that applied to the course back in September.

No they won't. Before ringing any uni you should check their website first to see if the course still has space (UCAS course search lags behind by around an hour). If they have published lower grades for clearing then it will be on the website ( if not then 1-2 grades below the standard offer is a reasonable rule of thumb)
    Right ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x__bx)
    Not sure what to do..
    Write one and then you are prepared.

ReputationRep:
    What do you all recommend we do to prepare for all outcomes on Thursday? Should I have a potential lists of other unis & their contact info if I have to go through clearing? Is it guaranteed that my course will say unsuccessful/unconditional at 8AM Thursday?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farawayfromnowhere)
    What do you all recommend we do to prepare for all outcomes on Thursday? Should I have a potential lists of other unis & their contact info if I have to go through clearing? Yes, if you are genuinley frightened. Is it guaranteed that my course will say unsuccessful/unconditional at 8AM Thursday? No. 3/20 won't have updated because of no decision being made yet, missing exam results or the information not being passed on to Ucas yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    See bold above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)

So if before clearing the offer was BBB but during clearing it still stands at BBB and I get BBC am I waisting my time ringing or would they just not have updated the website?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.