Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

The fibs your teacher told you in school [golden thread]

ReputationRep:
    "If you won't be quiet, I'll take your pen away from you and you'll have to write in pencil until Year 6."

Classic.

ReputationRep:
    1. "How well you do in the SATs exams is really important."
    2. "The school has a friendly, family atmosphere."
    3. "The Sixth Form teachers are experts at their subjects."
    4. "We take lab safety seriously."
    5. "We'll make sure everyone has their Personal Statement done by the end of October".
    6. "It will be quiet enough for you to study during free periods."

ReputationRep:
    "One day there was this lad James. He was a good lad - always getting As and A*s. But he wouldn't stop swinging on his chair. One day, he swung too far, smashed open the back of his head on the wall and that was the end of him. So stop swinging on your chair."

"I had a lad named Big Phil in my PE class. Good lad - captain of the school's basketball team. One day he forgot to take off his ring before a match. He went up to try and shoot, got his ring caught in the hoop and ripped his whole hand off. So take off all your jewellery now."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    "One day there was this lad James. He was a good lad - always getting As and A*s. But he wouldn't stop swinging on his chair. One day, he swung too far, smashed open the back of his head on the wall and that was the end of him. So stop swinging on your chair."
    I sprained my neck doing that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I sprained my neck doing that
    I imagine that's the worst that can happen - certainly not smashing open your head :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I imagine that's the worst that can happen - certainly not smashing open your head :lol:
    Probably was the worst, I spent a week on the sofa as I wasn't supposed to lift my head up too much. Pretty annoying as a kid so I never did it again after that.

ReputationRep:
    When I was in reception, we used to sing songs in assembly like most children do at that age. One of the song we sung was called 'He's got the whole world in his hands' and as we were walking out we were trying to work out who came up with that song and the teacher said that they had come up with that song! He also started listing off other songs we had sung in assembly and claimed to have made them up too. Of course we believed him, it only dawned on me when I was older that he lied.

ReputationRep:
    I was told handwriting and presentation always mattered, however, that costs time during the actual exam. Especially in maths where it wasn't massively important.

ReputationRep:
    If the whole class passes, (meaning C's or above- which we all did) we will go somewhere like Chessington. They never even bothered to treat us to the cinema.

ReputationRep:
    I was told all the GCSE's I wanted to take were full and my stronger subjects were History and Geography (I got an E in both as I had zero interest in any of it).

This was 14 years ago when we had like 4 options....

ReputationRep:
    *Teacher: Draws the most pleasant drawing*
    "I''m not an artist guys okay, i tried"

ReputationRep:
    "This school offers plenty of work experience and oppurtunities"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hycurrie)
    awesome portal reference. Love it!
    Thanks! Amazing game. *shares cake*

ReputationRep:
    I remember back from primary school when my teacher said "when the wind blows, your face will stay like that forever", in an attempt to get people to stop sulking when upset. Well, to us, it meant that whenever we felt the wind blowing we should quickly put up our biggest smiles, teeth included.

Nowadays though, I think I would prefer a sulk for a face than an eternal, soul-piercing smile.

ReputationRep:
    The most dumbest one. Our teachers decided to tell us that suddenly, they will submit your TRIAL exam grades instead of your REAL exam grades in GCSE to your college. Probably to get people to really take things seriously, but everyone was freaking out about it.

Tbh, how did they even pass their GCSE's. It was so obviously a scam.

*Facepalm into a truck*

ReputationRep:
    You will need this
    You won't need this

The answer is always C

This is the most stressful year of your life

It will be fine

ReputationRep:
    a teacher said we should stop playing with shotputs because a kid had knocked two shotputs into his private parts and was rushed to hospital

ReputationRep:
    "GCSE Religious Studies is compulsory at this school because universities value it".
    HA
    HAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prents)
    'You will need to use this in real life someday'
    Definitely! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by extraordinaire)
    In year 10, my geography teacher used to pick on me at least once a lesson. This time, he asked me to answer a question about freeze-thaw weathering (basically to describe the process) and I started my sentence with "because" since it was verbal feedback. As soon as I said "because" he cut me off with "ah! you can't start a sentence with because. when you're in an exam...blah blah blah" I ended up having to repeat my answer 4 times EVEN THOUGH IT WAS GEOGRAPHICALLY CORRECT, all because I started with "because" smh
    This is so frustrating!!
    (Original post by raniafern)
    Your blood is blue :rofl:
    I thought this for AGES!

"I had a lad named Big Phil in my PE class. Good lad - captain of the school's basketball team. One day he forgot to take off his ring before a match. He went up to try and shoot, got his ring caught in the hoop and ripped his whole hand off. So take off all your jewellery now."
    Yep I remember that one. No earrings because you might rip your ears off!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 19, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.