Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brahmin of Booty)
    It is. Women of all faiths should have the freedom to choose how they dress.

We can't claim to have a monopoly on freedom if that freedom is not extended to Muslims.
    That comes close to saying that you can't have a monopology on tolerance if it is not extended to intolerants.

Unfortunately the world is more complex than that. When you say such things, that is actually dangerous. Our freedom is afforded by the make up of our society. It's not enough to merely consider the principle on its own. If you change the make up of your society then you need to reevaluate your position on freedom.

The real problem here is that I can't see much definite practicality to banning this particular piece of attire on beaches. There might be some safety concern but I am somewhat skeptical of that and part of the nice thing about going to beaches has always been an element of personal responsibility. To me the bans seem purely symbolic.

I don't see any misogyny. There's none there unless you're specifically looking for it.

ReputationRep:
    And now Nice

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...se-burkini-ban

ReputationRep:
    Today, a 62yo Jewish man who wore a kippa was stabbed by a guy shouting "Allah akbar". As you can guess, he has psychological problems. It appears that he already assaulted another Jewish man 6 years ago.
    http://lemonde.fr/societe/article/20...5029_3224.html

ReputationRep:
    I'm against the burkini ban but it's not misogynist. It does not come out of a desire to hate women the intentions if anything are the opposite and intentions matter.

If there was a burkini ban here I'd organise a mass burkini protest just to show how stupid it was

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I am 1/Cos(C))
    If a Muslim woman has chosen to wear the burkini, it is surely misogynistic to remove that right from her.
    Well men aren't allowed to wear them either

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skeptical_john)
    I'm against the burkini ban but it's not misogynist. It does not come out of a desire to hate women the intentions if anything are the opposite and intentions matter.

If there was a burkini ban here I'd organise a mass burkini protest just to show how stupid it was
    Well I think those Sharia Arab countries enforcing clothing laws on westerners is equally stupid

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.