The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Gonna be on holiday next week, in the meantime the MHoC will be in the very capable hands of adam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Did you get into Leicester like you wanted
    I have ended up at Liverpool after changing my mind but I did get what i wanted yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    I have ended up at Liverpool after changing my mind but I did get what i wanted yeah
    But you were dead set on Leicester?! I'm glad you got what you wanted though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    But you were dead set on Leicester?! I'm glad you got what you wanted though
    You see that was before i visited Liverpool. Did you get in where you wanted?

ReputationRep:
    You see that was before i visited Liverpool. Did you get in where you wanted?
    Yeah I did get where I wanted. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    That's a fault of the model of privatisation (granting franchises - read state endorsed monopolies) rather than their being no capability to provide competition. I think that very few people really agree that the current system is close to their desired outcome. Ideally with looser property rights (where landowners could simply sell land to the train company) we'd see a return to the 1800's but in a more regulated form (so that we don't end up with 3 train stations in 1 town as we did back then) however for now the next best system is simply to encourage open access operators to run additional services and compete, also demand more from the franchise owners in terms of stock.

With regards to price a study in 07 actually found that prices for off peak services were comparable, where UK prices rocket is at peak times where they are ~30% above those in western europe. The reason for this however is that most european nations fund their version of Network Rail through increased taxation, in the UK we fund it primarily through ticket sales. When the left say that nationalisation would lower prices for example, what they really mean is that they will tax the populous to lower prices (though i suspect many don't actually realise that operators have low margins and that the network as a whole is loss making).
    The problem though is how can there possibly be more than one service when we only have one railway line? If you want to get the 9am train somewhere, it's not like there are four or five different trains going there allowing the consumer to pick the cheapest.

In certain areas, privatization works better, where there can be a clear choice for the consumer, with different companies battling each other to offer a better service. But with the railways and energy, that isn't the case. You simply have one provider.

Surely investing in our rail network would be great for the country as a whole. As well as reducing congestion on the roads, it's environmentally better too.

If countries across the continent can offer cheaper, less crowded and quicker trains than us, it begs the question why we cannot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    The problem though is how can there possibly be more than one service when we only have one railway line? If you want to get the 9am train somewhere, it's not like there are four or five different trains going there allowing the consumer to pick the cheapest.

In certain areas, privatization works better, where there can be a clear choice for the consumer, with different companies battling each other to offer a better service. But with the railways and energy, that isn't the case. You simply have one provider.

Surely investing in our rail network would be great for the country as a whole. As well as reducing congestion on the roads, it's environmentally better too.

If countries across the continent can offer cheaper, less crowded and quicker trains than us, it begs the question why we cannot.
    The majority of rail services are not one an hour. If you have a service say every 10 minutes then i'd happily wait an extra ten minutes for a train with newer rolling stock or cheaper prices.

Energy is actually very competitive when it comes to the retail and supply parts of the market, the problem is that the state has allowed National Grid plc (owned by Transco) to operate with double digit margins, further the state then forces green taxes on the consumer.

The UK does invest in the railways more than most though i agree that we need more.

Cheaper i dealt with in the post above, they tax the masses instead of fund through ticket sales. Less crowded is due to a combination of being too lax on franchisees and the UK having faster population growth than anywhere in Europe bar Ireland, trains are only quicker in certain countries and we have many NIMBY's currently attempting to stop HS2.

ReputationRep:
    The majority of rail services are not one an hour. If you have a service say every 10 minutes then i'd happily wait an extra ten minutes for a train with newer rolling stock or cheaper prices.

Energy is actually very competitive when it comes to the retail and supply parts of the market, the problem is that the state has allowed National Grid plc (owned by Transco) to operate with double digit margins, further the state then forces green taxes on the consumer.

The UK does invest in the railways more than most though i agree that we need more.

Cheaper i dealt with in the post above, they tax the masses instead of fund through ticket sales. Less crowded is due to a combination of being too lax on franchisees and the UK having faster population growth than anywhere in Europe bar Ireland, trains are only quicker in certain countries and we have many NIMBY's currently attempting to stop HS2.
    So what, in your opinion can feasibly be done to make our rail services less expensive, less crowded and if possible, quicker? If you are discounting nationalization.

ReputationRep:
    I've been good, apart from having to do A-levels. How about you?
    The same, but I'm doing a BTEC for the next two years now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The majority of rail services are not one an hour. If you have a service say every 10 minutes then i'd happily wait an extra ten minutes for a train with newer rolling stock or cheaper prices. * The UK does invest in the railways more than most though i agree that we need more. * 2.
    Even in London on non-Underground services there are plenty of places where the frequency is a lot lower than one every 10 minutes, even in the rush hour. The country does not end at the Watford Gap and in places such as most of Lancashire, Yorkshire and even parts of Glasgow there are services of a much lower frequency, never mind rural areas.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah once an hour is pretty normal IME.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Even in London on non-Underground services there are plenty of places where the frequency is a lot lower than one every 10 minutes, even in the rush hour. The country does not end at the Watford Gap and in places such as most of Lancashire, Yorkshire and even parts of Glasgow there are services of a much lower frequency, never mind rural areas.
    It was an example but half hourly is probably the most common.

ReputationRep:
    United1892 You're back! What happened?

ReputationRep:
    Unown Uzer "Why are you leaving?"

I left a while ago because I've been a bit busy with stuff. Every now and then I pop my head through though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    relegation? Rafa staying put to try to get back to the Premier League?

ReputationRep:
    So apparently Theresa May is set to abolish elected mayors and curtail on devolved powers to local regions. Great, the one good thing that Osborne did and she sh*ts all over it.

Authoritarian as always May.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I'm not a huge fan of devolution, but I do think the one thing central government shouldn't be able to change on a whim is council funding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Not properly but i will pop in occasionally

Pretty much this and A-levels:

(Original post by barnetlad)
    relegation? Rafa staying put to try to get back to the Premier League?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    So apparently Theresa May is set to abolish elected mayors and curtail on devolved powers to local regions. Great, the one good thing that Osborne did and she sh*ts all over it.

Authoritarian as always May.
    To be honest, I am glad that May is curtailing devolved powers. All too often it becomes about councils wanting to empire build and be mini-MPs rather than caring about their constituents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    To be honest, I am glad that May is curtailing devolved powers. All too often it becomes about councils wanting to empire build and be mini-MPs rather than caring about their constituents.
    It gives elected councillors who know their area well, more power over the people they represent. Manchester's needs are different to London's needs. Why shouldn't there be more devolved powers to reflect this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.