Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

When will the religious people realize there is NO afterlife ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Applepiex3)
    Weird isn't it? That the scriptures passed on for thousands of years contain prophecies on what is going to happen in the future.

Weird how they are all slowly coming true.

Let's suppose there is no afterlife. You enjoy living your life believing there is none and those who want to believe can live their life knowing they have a bigger goal to attend to after death.

Weird how similar all three Abrahamic religions are and how they believe in the concept of heaven and hell. Weird how in all three religions they are told that those who refuse to believe are blinded and will never believe
    Actually in Judaism there isn't a proper concept o an Afterlife and Abrahamic religions are called Abrahamic for a reason, they're a continuation of eachother so obviously they'd have a lot of similarities loool

(Original post by QE2)
    Genuine debate requires honesty and a thick skin
    This is the quote that I agreed with:

"we would discuss and think critically about all different religions without being outright disrespectful."

With due respect, there's a significant difference between critically analyzing an ideology or set of events, and being "outright disrespectful".

Throwing insults towards followers of a belief system is not, and frankly will never be classified as a "genuine debate" as far as I am concerned.

*If you think putting forward a straw man argument is classified as having a "genuine debate", you're sadly mistaken.

(Original post by QE2)
    you are sadly mistaken.
    My experience dictates otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Applepiex3)
    Everything I wrote was extremely biased and based on personal feelings; you may find everything I say to be quite subjective but no harm since we are challenging each others beliefs

Yes, they are continuations but you missed the point: why do they exist? Everything exists for a purpose and no one really knows our purpose in life. Coincidentally there's something called religion which actually gives purpose to our lives.

It is controversial to bring up scriptures again but isn't it a little spine chilling to be warned about the afterlife? No one could have just made it up. Especially since most of the text made no sense whatsoever to those when scriptures were made- they lived in different conditions. But thousands of years old text refers to us and the civilization man has built.

What I wrote was actually softened since religion tends to be strict. It is said that those who do not believe never believed in the first place. Everyone has doubts about their religion and beliefs but those little doubts can lead a person to stop believing altogether. As harsh as it sounds but when a person quits believing in God it says that there is no point in trying to change their minds since they are now the disbelievers and their hearts are technically turned to stone so there is no point, only they are to decide what they want to do - its between them and God.

Sorry it was so long, I'm half asleep as well lol hope it makes sense x
    Religion caused mankind to commit barbaric acts, what a great civilisation we've built due to religion eh. Also religion doesnt necessary only give people purpose in their lives, if someone has a goal and aim that is their purpose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Habeebah)
    you'll be saying this when you're burning in hell too 😊😊😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Habeebah mate you're not Allah

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to read through all 10 pages of the thread but honestly the fluff put me off. It'll be much more useful if people stopped throwing pointless hate like "The afterlife doesn't exist! Religious people are stupid!" It doesn't contribute anything. It doesn't help the discussion. All it is is ranting. Grow up. There are people genuinely trying to create useful debate here; people genuinely trying to explain their points of view.

My question to you is why does it matter to you whether the afterlife exists or not if you don't believe in religion? Why doesn't it matter to you if people are religious if you don't believe in religion? It doesn't affect you in anyway. As you said, you live your life, and then you die and that's the end. All well and fair for you. I don't see why you need to change other people's views to your own, cherry-pick examples of cruelty done in the name of religion, and do everything except for trying to understand. Yes, you can criticize people's views if you have valid counter-arguments; a good way of doing so is starting your sentence with "But don't you think..."/"But I still think..." instead of "AFTERLIFE DOESN'T EXIST. YOU'RE WRONG". If your definition of "debate" is you being relentless with your opinion and not being open to a different opinion, then it's pointless for anyone to try to share their views with you. It's like talking to a wall. Now that you've shared your opinion and you have nothing more to contribute, you may go. Because you staying here isn't helping either you or myself gain new perspective. Unless you are, in fact, trying to learn. (shocker). Then stop ranting, start thinking, and start learning.

You see, simply put, the notion about God is that God's ways are above human comprehension. That means that all of your science, all of your empiricism, your human reasoning, will not allow you to "prove" or disprove that God exists (unless God one day decides to show himself this way). You can't prove he doesn't exist. And I can't prove he exists. So this argument will always be at a standstill, and neither of our viewpoints can be deemed "valid" because of it. But for believers, that's where faith comes in. And faith is believing without seeing. Some would say it's based on feeling. But anti-religion people like to link feelings to neuro-chemicals and try to "scientify" things to prove faith is wrong. So I'll put it this way, it's a feeling of a connection with God, something which is incomprehensible by human means, simply because God is "incomprehensible" in that sense. And in my humble opinion, that's the nature of faith.

So to a non-believer, basically what I'm telling you, is that I'm believing in something that is impossible by every form of human rationality. Only by faith, and experience, do people believe in God. You may call that insane. Fair enough. I still struggle with my faith as well. And I'm not going to preach to you. All I do wish for you is to keep an open mind, and be a good human being. Yes, you may decide that religion isn't for you - permanently - and you may feel like you will never change your mind. Sure. But how about being a human being? You do believe in that, don't you? About shared humanity? About kindness? You don't have to believe in God to be a nice person. You don't have to believe in God to be willing to listen to the views of those who do. To show love to believers and non-believers alike. You don't have to believe in God to ponder his existence. You don't have to believe to be open to learning more.

As someone who still believes that there is more to this world, I do hope that one day you will experience God. You can hate me for that, it's fine, because my hope comes from kind intentions for you.

Be well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Did I say you should respect something you find unacceptable? I said you should address something with respect. Act in a respectful manner, how difficult is that to understand?
    Why?
    If you don't respect something, why pretend that you do?

Tell you what, at the beginning of every post, I will put "With all due respect". Happy?

Lol you're hilarious, tore my lungs apart laughing to that!
    This is the epitome of putting things in someones mouth, well done dear.
    So no actual response to my points then?
    With all due respect, not entirely unexpected.

ReputationRep:
    Why do so many atheists on this forum care about what religious people believe? Its' their life not yours.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    God bless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hipsterrapunzel)
    My question to you is why does it matter to you whether the afterlife exists or not if you don't believe in religion? Why doesn't it matter to you if people are religious if you don't believe in religion? It doesn't affect you in anyway. As you said, you live your life, and then you die and that's the end. All well and fair for you. I don't see why you need to change other people's views to your own
    Of course it affects society in many ways. From state-funded faith schools to creationism in education to religious terrorism to the history of Catholicism as theocracy to outrage against blasphemy to the demands of places of worship, etc. Religion is and always has been in the public sphere. This idea that it is merely a little personal belief that isn't affecting anyone else is nothing short of a lie. Religion imposes itself on to the public and makes demands.

As for why many people do not want religion to exist. In part because of the above and in part because religion is short-sighted and selfish. It has no concern for the progression and therefore survival of the human race - the burden of this is on the shoulders of scientists. Advancement of the human race is held back by religion. The more people who think rationally and have consideration for the future of humanity, the better, hence we want less theism and more science.

(Original post by hipsterrapunzel)
    So to a non-believer, basically what I'm telling you, is that I'm believing in something that is impossible by every form of human rationality. Only by faith, and experience, do people believe in God.
    Yes, and this is anathema to the progression of humanity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    Why do so many atheists on this forum care about what religious people believe? Its' their life not yours.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    God bless
    Read above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saran23)
    You say that the tests have all indicated that there is no evidence of a dangerous leak but did the independent body have the technology to detect this type of energy? If this scenario took place a few centuries ago(please use your imagination as there were no electrical sockets then), say in the medieval times what would the independent body have done to validate my claim. They would have come in one afternoon and just would have had a quick look around not knowing what to look for. This is why most atheist are sceptical because you cannot feel the existence of god as you do not feel the spiritual awareness and hence you are resistant to believing in miracles. Yes, scientifically speaking my views on God to you may be irrational as it is based on assumptions. But I believe in these assumptions as they are perfectly rational to me.

We humans can only see the universe in the visible spectrum of light with the naked eye. We now can see more of the spectrum of light thanks to advanced machines. But even then, what percentage of the universe can we really see? Scientists say that they we only know 5% of the contents of the universe. You cannot just extrapolate such a small amount of the known and say there is no God for sure. Humanity can practice science but we will never be able to master it. First , have all the science of the Universe mapped out and then tell me whether or not God exists. Do not come to premature decisions with very little science.
    So you are saying that we should assume the existence of everything until it has been definitively disproved, regardless of the complete absence of any evidence for them.

Do you accept the existence of Shiva and Quetzalcoatl and Odin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macromicro)
    Of course it affects society in many ways. From state-funded faith schools to creationism in education to religious terrorism to the history of Catholicism as theocracy to outrage against blasphemy to the demands of places of worship, etc. Religion is and always has been in the public sphere. This idea that it is merely a little personal belief that isn't affecting anyone else is nothing short of a lie. Religion imposes itself on to the public and makes demands.

As for why many people do not want religion to exist. In part because of the above and in part because religion is short-sighted and selfish. It has no concern for the progression and therefore survival of the human race - the burden of this is on the shoulders of scientists. Advancement of the human race is held back by religion. The more people who think rationally and have consideration for the future of humanity, the better, hence we want less theism and more science.

Yes, and this is anathema to the progression of humanity.
    Read my previous comments. Whilst I cannot speak for the followers of the Abrahamic faith I can speak for my religion. We embrace the science!

Not all scientists are atheist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaredofdeath)
    There is NO life after death.
    We are our bodies , more precisely our brains.
    There is no such thing as a "soul".
    There is no such thing as "heaven" " hell" .
    These are all inventions of the religious people.
    No one is going to reborn , we only live once.
    While I choose to believe this is probably true, we have no way of actually proving it. So saying it 100% exists is like saying it 100% doesn't, impossible to say.

ReputationRep:
    "Mathematical ways" which enabled scientists to construct models of the universe which in turn helped them understand how energy governs the universe. My reason for mentioning how long we have been worshipping our deities is to give you the indication that she dawned from our spiritual beliefs and not because of simple scientific observations. Science has only cemented our beliefs as I mentioned earlier. We simply did not assume energy was a god after seeing it. We felt it from the beginning, my personal belief is that without Shakti there is nothing.

We Hindu's do believe in multiverses, but as a scientist I also believe in the Big Bang. I believe that each universe in the multiverse originates from a singularity. The Big Bang is Shakti and her powers are limitless(Omnipotent) she is powering all the galaxies we see from our telescopes and beyond. You see her Omniscient blessings to humanity given in the form of Einstein, Newton, Galileo etc. From the stars to even an amoeba she is present everywhere(Omnipresent). This is how I view my Shakti.

I give everything you see, hear and feel as my evidence that god exists.

I believe Shakti is in everyone. God is in us all.

(My personal beliefs btw)
    I don't see how your beliefs make any sense.
    In being everything, your god is also nothing.
    A thing, such as energy, is simply just energy.

ReputationRep:
    Read my previous comments. Whilst I cannot speak for the followers of the Abrahamic faith I can speak for my religion. We embrace the science!

Not all scientists are atheist.
    I mentioned specifically the Abrahamic religions as they make up the vast majority of theists. I commend theists such as Hindus for embracing science but they are rare because accepting rationality and evidence-based thinking contradicts their holy texts and scriptures. It requires an even greater deal of intellectual dishonesty, cherry-picking and self-delusion to be a religious scientist than simply religious.

Hindu cosmology and creationism, for example, is an insult to science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluesunboy)
    The same could be said about our excists how did we become what we are now from a single cell
    Research under the term abiogenesis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaredofdeath)
    There is NO life after death.
    We are our bodies , more precisely our brains.
    There is no such thing as a "soul".
    There is no such thing as "heaven" " hell" .
    These are all inventions of the religious people.
    No one is going to reborn , we only live once.
    You keep thinking that mate. Goodluck in your afterlife 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    So you are saying that we should assume the existence of everything until it has been definitively disproved, regardless of the complete absence of any evidence for them.

Do you accept the existence of Shiva and Quetzalcoatl and Odin?
    Yes, I do believe in Shiva and Odin(I am afraid I have not heard of Quetzalcoatl before). I also truly believe in Jesus Christ, I see him as an avatar of Vishnu that has not been documented in our texts because it happened in a different part of the world, away from the Indian subcontinent.

I am not telling you to believe in God, there are evidences presented to you and it is your personal choice whether to accept or reject it based on how sufficient you deem it to be. But these assumptions that we sacredly believe in should not be ridiculed unless you have real hard core evidence to prove us wrong. Until then it is very rational for a person to believe in the existence of God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    I don't see how your beliefs make any sense.
    In being everything, your god is also nothing.
    A thing, such as energy, is simply just energy.
    To the simple mind. It doesn't make any sense how you describe everything to be nothing.

Your is view on energy is a huge oversimplification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macromicro)
    I mentioned specifically the Abrahamic religions as they make up the vast majority of theists. I commend theists such as Hindus for embracing science but they are rare because accepting rationality and evidence-based thinking contradicts their holy texts and scriptures. It requires an even greater deal of intellectual dishonesty, cherry-picking and self-delusion to be a religious scientist than simply religious.

Hindu cosmology and creationism, for example, is an insult to science.
    It doesn't matter if we are rare or not. If you have strong evidence then you must be able to justify against any theist even if it is just one person out of the 7 billion people. Accepting the rational is not against our holy scriptures. Please give me a specific example? Hindu cosmology is a very broad topic to scrutinize like that.

Did you mean an insult to the science community or an insult to science as a concept? Then why is there a statue of Natarajah at the CERN institute?

https://cds.cern.ch/record/745737?ln=en

ReputationRep:
    To the simple mind. It doesn't make any sense how you describe everything to be nothing.

Your is view of energy is a huge oversimplification.
    No need for calling my mind simple... cheeky...

It is perhaps even more silly to attach greater significance to something to which cannot be proven.

The proteins that are keeping my many functional systems working are simply proteins. Some deity isn't inside me telling them what to do.

It is a well known cognitive bias that humans attach meaning where there is none.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.