Trying to get A*A*A*A*A* at A-level

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Day 27
    Skipped a few more days but I've been very productive lately. It's technically the weekend but in my head its the first day of my half term holiday. I've successfully done a bit of everything today.
    Further Maths
    I have completed FP1 and I've done a paper that I'm going to mark after this post. I've also started doing Core 4 papers trying to jog my memory and get back into the flow of things. I'm completing them a bit slowly, at around 40 minutes per paper. I'm also working on covering S2 this half term. Basically the plan is to revise my FP1 because I have a test on the week back.

Physics
    So for my test I got an A grade (1/2 mark off an A*)... which sucks but some of my mistakes were RIDICULOUS. Take for example, they asked for the frequency and I gave them the time period. Basic calculator errors and other really silly mistakes. But I knew my stuff at least. Just need to revise some basics like spring constants and I want to go over that paper again tbh.

Computer Science
    I plan on starting a little bit of the programming this half term (not a lot). I've also covered and made notes on 2 A-level spec points. there are 29 in the first section and 9 in the second section. Progress will be slow but steady. I also revised Computer Arithmetic so its fresh in my head.
    UCAS
    Nothing updated
    MAT
    I scored 62/100 on the MAT 2014. I'll do a further analysis of where I went wrong. My weakest question is question 2 and my strongest is question 6!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    Day 23
    Skipped a few more days but I've been very productive lately. It's technically the weekend but in my head its the first day of my half term holiday. I've successfully done a bit of everything today.
    Further Maths
    I have completed FP1 and I've done a paper that I'm going to mark after this post. I've also started doing Core 4 papers trying to jog my memory and get back into the flow of things. I'm completing them a bit slowly, at around 40 minutes per paper. I'm also working on covering S2 this half term. Basically the plan is to revise my FP1 because I have a test on the week back.

Physics
    So for my test I got an A grade (1/2 mark off an A*)... which sucks but some of my mistakes were RIDICULOUS. Take for example, they asked for the frequency and I gave them the time period. Basic calculator errors and other really silly mistakes. But I knew my stuff at least. Just need to revise some basics like spring constants and I want to go over that paper again tbh.

Computer Science
    I plan on starting a little bit of the programming this half term (not a lot). I've also covered and made notes on 2 A-level spec points. there are 29 in the first section and 9 in the second section. Progress will be slow but steady. I also revised Computer Arithmetic so its fresh in my head.
    UCAS
    Nothing updated
    MAT
    I scored 62/75 on the MAT 2014. I'll do a further analysis of where I went wrong. My weakest question is question 2 and my strongest is question 6!
    Wow! Impressive stuff!

ReputationRep:
    (The EPQ isn't an A level by the way - it's the equivalent of an AS level. So you're actually aiming for A*A*A*A* at A level, and an A* in the EPQ.)

ReputationRep:
    DAY 29

Not much to update today, sorry if my posts have been getting shorter/less consistent, I figure I procrastinate a lot through TSR as well...
    But I have been quite productive lately!
    Right now I'm just revising all my subjects quite equally in turn... but I'm also preparing for the MAT
    Keeping this post short because I've got a LOT to do today, I'll give a good update at the end of half term!
    UCAS
    I received an offer from Warwick University (A*AA or AAA) for MEng Computer Science

ReputationRep:
    UCAS
    I received an offer from Warwick University (A*AA or AAA) for MEng Computer Science
    Congrats!

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to apply to Cambridge for CS

ReputationRep:
    I also found Q2 and Q5 quite hard in the 2014 paper, still managed to get 67/100 so that's alright I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Day 31
    My Half term
    Further Maths
    It's been extremely productive! I am expecting to have completed all the MAT past papers by the end of the half-term as well as having revised FP1 and Core 4 and scoring nigh on full marks in practice papers, which is awesome. I'm expecting to also have completed M2 by the end of this half term, giving me that edge in class (so its not all so alien to me). S2 is slow... it just is really slow and I hate statistics. I can't move on to exam questions of the Poisson Distribution/Binomial because it links in Normal Approximations etc. So before the end of half term I expect to have finished Normal Approximation (Chapter 5 of 7). So still have to meet a bunch of targets in the next 3 days... lets see if I can do it! Also I'm going to finish the two small shapters in FP2 and revise Maclaurin/taylor series this half term.
    Physics
    I've done little on this front tbh... very little... in fact.. i dont think I've done anything xD.... Okay well by the end of half term I'll have notes on Thermal Physics I hope...
    Computer Science
    I have started a little programming (not a lot)... this is slow progress to make time for my maths..
    EPQ
    Not too sure what I'm doing... I think I'm just waiting for approval from my college which I should hopefully get on the first week back?
    University
    My offer for Warwick was AAA... the standard offer is A*AA for the MEng course however for some reason it was lower for me which is awesome!!!!
    I also got an interview invite from Imperial and a "visit day" / "group interview" at Bristol University in November... though I'm not sure I'll be able to afford the travel expenses so I need some kind of financial support for this... I might have to get a part time job on the weekend for a couple months or so.

Thanks for reading, lets see how much of this I can actually get done by the end of Half term!

ReputationRep:
    Day 31
    My Half term
    Further Maths
    It's been extremely productive! I am expecting to have completed all the MAT past papers by the end of the half-term as well as having revised FP1 and Core 4 and scoring nigh on full marks in practice papers, which is awesome. I'm expecting to also have completed M2 by the end of this half term, giving me that edge in class (so its not all so alien to me). S2 is slow... it just is really slow and I hate statistics. I can't move on to exam questions of the Poisson Distribution/Binomial because it links in Normal Approximations etc. So before the end of half term I expect to have finished Normal Approximation (Chapter 5 of 7). So still have to meet a bunch of targets in the next 3 days... lets see if I can do it! Also I'm going to finish the two small shapters in FP2 and revise Maclaurin/taylor series this half term.
    Physics
    I've done little on this front tbh... very little... in fact.. i dont think I've done anything xD.... Okay well by the end of half term I'll have notes on Thermal Physics I hope...
    Computer Science
    I have started a little programming (not a lot)... this is slow progress to make time for my maths..
    EPQ
    Not too sure what I'm doing... I think I'm just waiting for approval from my college which I should hopefully get on the first week back?
    University
    My offer for Warwick was AAA... the standard offer is A*AA for the MEng course however for some reason it was lower for me which is awesome!!!!
    I also got an interview invite from Imperial and a "visit day" / "group interview" at Bristol University in November... though I'm not sure I'll be able to afford the travel expenses so I need some kind of financial support for this... I might have to get a part time job on the weekend for a couple months or so.

Thanks for reading, lets see how much of this I can actually get done by the end of Half term!
    Nice!

What do you use to learn programming e.g. Java or something? Anything you recommend please? Also will the Imperial interview be an academic interview and do you only get an interview if they feel they might give you an offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kira Yagami)
    Nice!

What do you use to learn programming e.g. Java or something? Anything you recommend please? Also will the Imperial interview be an academic interview and do you only get an interview if they feel they might give you an offer?
    Hey!

I have some books that I've used to learn a little bit of Java... I know codeacademy do Java tutorials (though I've never used them personally - too long winded for me). Personally I would recommend a good old fashioned book but I think online tutorials are great! The best way to learn any programming language is to practice making various programs.

It will most definitely have academic elements since Imperial is the one of the best University for Computing/CompSci in the UK. From what I've heard, they ask you about 3 - 4 maths problems to test the depth of your mathematical ability and they grade you on this... then they ask about your interest in the field.

I'm not sure of the exact statistics but they only interview people who they think they'll offer a place! I hear that around 80% of the people they interview get an offer.

EDIT: They interview 28% of applicants and 78% of these received offers in 2015 and apparently the percentage is decreasing....

Lets hope I get one!

ReputationRep:
    I'm still waiting on Imperial to make a decision (CompSci as well), it's worrying that others are getting their interviews D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quido)
    University

I'm still waiting on Imperial to make a decision (CompSci as well), it's worrying that others are getting their interviews D:
    Oh don't worry! You'll get one soon! I can't make mine so they're probably re-organising who can go to which interview, so if you haven't got an invite now, you'll have an interview at a later date!

ReputationRep:
    Day 35
    Regretting my decision to apply to Oxford. I should have applied to Cambridge and just taken the CSAT, an albeit easier test and I'd have a better chance of getting in tbh... unfortunately Oxford only have limited places for Computer Science which sucks Definitely should've thought more carefully about my decision
    Half Term
    I achieved most of what I wanted to get achieved this half term. But not all of it. Overall it was productive but not nearly productive enough if I'm going to achieve the grades I want and win an Oxford place...
    Further Maths
    FP1 is complete. After my MAT next week, I'm expecting my productivity to DOUBLE.
    Physics
    Made all the notes I need to have made by now
    Computer Science
    Started the Programming and realised I've bitten off more than I can chew.... I literally cannot program this to save my life... but I'm going to give it my best shot and hopefully achieve as close to it as possible!
    EPQ
    Still waiting on that project approval
    MAT
    One week left. Bring it. YOLO.. I just want a place at Imperial and Bristol... Oxford I'm not overly fussed about anymore considering I'm competing for such few places and the odds are stacked against me unfortunately but I will give it my best shot. Trying not to feel disheartened but yeah... my bestest shot. I was considering taking a gap year and reapplying to Cambridge but Oxbridge is NOT the be-all and end-all of existence. I can get a perfectly great degree from Bristol or Imperial! (HOPEFULLY IMPERIAL)
    UCAS
    I have an interview at Bristol and I'm awaiting a response from Imperial regarding the rearranging of dates for my interview...

ReputationRep:
    How did you find the MAT today???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Day 45
    I skipped a lot of days because of MAT preparation etc.... yeah..

Further Maths
    Okay so FP1 is finished, M2 is finished, S2 I have 3/7 chapters left. FP2 I have 5/7 chapters left. Now that MAT is over with I'll be finishing FP2, S2 and FP3 before Christmas hopefully. (I don't want to wait for my college) D1 I'll learn after Christmas as apparently its an easy module.
    Physics
    We've finsihed thermal physics and we've started nuclear physics. I did NOTHING in Physics.. I just made notes in class (didn't bother understanding about 30% of it) but hey ho now I have to make notes and catch up on that.
    Computer Science
    I need to start coding up my solution as soon as possible!
    EPQ
    My project was approved yay! and I have to plan out how I'm going to write my EPQ...
    MAT
    Okay so basically MAT was absolute crap. It was very difficult. I'll be lucky to even get to interview stages. It was painfully hard and I know I messed up on the multiple choice because I didn't read it properly but heyo.... I can only blame myself. Whatever the outcome is, I gave it a shot at least! I've put that horrid exam behind me and I'm focusing on my A-levels and interviews and upcoming tests.
    UCAS
    So far I've received an offer from Warwick... AAA rather than their standard A*AA which I am absolutely chuffed about. But also I received an offer from Durham which is A*AA. I have interview at Bristol within the next week and I have an interview at Imperial upcoming very shortly. Both of which require a little preparation.

ReputationRep:
    That's nothing - at A level I got A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A* A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:))
    That's nothing - at A level I got A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A* A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*.
    I would believe you however that would cost bare $$$$ for exam entrances.

ReputationRep:

Hi Guys,
      I have a drama assessment on trestle masks. And we need to either to a play or describe how to use the masks. I really want to do a play so please can anyone think of ay ideas to help me out...

It will be nice if you do????

ReputationRep:
    Day 55 (i think)
    Now I know why everyone warned me not to pick 4A-levels and an EPQ lmao im dying.
    I think its my fourth A-level choice that is really the biggest bummer ever. Computer Science has COURSEWORK and its so painful. It takes me ages to get anything done on the programming side and then I need to write up everything and its so LONG and tedious.
    And the worst part? Its only worth 20%. But it consumes your existence...Anywho I'll be rushing through most of it to get it done before the end of December at the latest. As for my EPQ, the write up is going to take until February to complete.

I am concerned about Physics. Sure I'm learning the content (albeit not very well) but I need to be revising AS content as well and I've kind of shrugged Physics off by just making notes rather than actively learning and revising.

Maths and Further Maths are going pretty well, I'll have finished S2 by the end of December as well as FP2 (hopefully).

Stay frosty guys

ReputationRep:
    Day 55 (i think)
    Now I know why everyone warned me not to pick 4A-levels and an EPQ lmao im dying.
    I think its my fourth A-level choice that is really the biggest bummer ever. Computer Science has COURSEWORK and its so painful. It takes me ages to get anything done on the programming side and then I need to write up everything and its so LONG and tedious.
    And the worst part? Its only worth 20%. But it consumes your existence...Anywho I'll be rushing through most of it to get it done before the end of December at the latest. As for my EPQ, the write up is going to take until February to complete.

I am concerned about Physics. Sure I'm learning the content (albeit not very well) but I need to be revising AS content as well and I've kind of shrugged Physics off by just making notes rather than actively learning and revising.

Maths and Further Maths are going pretty well, I'll have finished S2 by the end of December as well as FP2 (hopefully).

Stay frosty guys
    can I join this and grow my grade with you?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.