The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ML8020
Fair enough. I am a Engineering applicant so my view is based on STEM subjects as well. For subjects like Arts or Humanities, you may have a point.:smile:

Even engineering degrees don't generally prepare students that well for engineering positions in industry. I haven't seen anything to suggest that a "top" universities produces more work ready engineering graduates than other universities, or are better at or teach more of the knowledge and skills required to become a practising engineer in industry.
I think that the general consensus is that university prestige is important in sectors such as investment banking unlike medicine and dentistry.

But my question is, can a person who studied at a non-Russell group uni redeem themselves to employers(mainly focusing on the finance sector here btw) by getting a masters from a top uni(like UCL...)?

Hope that makes sense :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Smack
Even engineering degrees don't generally prepare students that well for engineering positions in industry. I haven't seen anything to suggest that a "top" universities produces more work ready engineering graduates than other universities, or are better at or teach more of the knowledge and skills required to become a practising engineer in industry.

Well nobody is work ready until they've actually done real work. It helps a lot during training however if the new hires are at least familiar with a lot of the concepts they get trained on, as opposed to suddenly encountering a SQL database for the first time and having literally no idea what they are doing.
Original post by Klix88
^This. Oxford's a stagnant pond as far as corners of my field are concerned. Some of the teaching staff from my degree in the mid-80s are still there and the only new lecturers recruited in the past fifteen years have been graduates of that department. It's an elaborate job creation scheme, but nobody in the outside world would touch them. Prestige of the uni name is irrelevant.

You tell 'em Klix!
OK so I have a pretty big question for both Jniel and PQ which I will mention in a bit but first I will explain my mentality my research into it and my motivations.

edit reasoning is explained throughout but the question is at the very bottom if you want to skip to that.

So I have not done well in life, so far. Generally speaking in life almost every area you want to succeed in you need other people to say yes to you. You can't get anywhere in most fields or areas without someone else saying yes to you. You want to go to a decent university someone needs to say yes to you, you want to get a job someone needs to say yes to you. You want to run your own business someone needs to say yes to you. You find out you can't get anywhere you end up homeless begging/selling the big issue (have never sank that low but come close before) someone needs to say yes to buying the big issue of you or giving you money. There are a few exceptions, Poker/gambling, trading on the stock market, app design, internet websites etc. if people know of any others specifically where you could use maths or maths plays a big part please let me know.

So how do I stand out? I mean I am bad with people in fact looking back the only friends I ever had were those using me or those that felt sorry for me. The only girlfriend I ever had was an obese Bipolar Psychotic Narcissistic gold digging whore. You might think I am bitter about that relationship. Well you would be right, but that does not change the facts. She was diagnosed as clinically depressed they said possible Bi Polar and she was a delusional fantasist often making up wild stories which just could not possibly be true. She often wanted life to be like a movie which may or may not sound normal i struggle to describe this it wasn't though. She was selfish to the core went off me because I did not make enough money and even literally said "all women are whores we just have different prices" that's a direct word for word quote btw. I mean if your going to go for gold diggers you might as well try to do better then obese psychotic Bipolar. (i did not know that detail when I started seeing her the Bipolar psycho bit the obese bit was clear obviously)

So I don't really have a great track record with people. My youngest brother is like my polar opposite he is bad at maths, he is a little above average intelligence but not exactly a genius (I technically am only just still say there was stuff wrong with that IQ test was mensa official one not online crap one) But he is brilliant with people, he never seems to have a problem pulling girls. He got crap A levels and went to a crud university, I am literally talking about one right near the bottom of all the league tables. He spent almost his entire time partying at university did barely any work and came out with a 2:1. When he graduated he was turning down Jobs offering 45k. Its ridiculous.

So I look at my self and wonder how I can stand out? some might say work experience well I have a great deal of that working as a glass collector, Kitchen porter, quite a bit of call center work which i got fired from repeatedly for not hitting target as previously stated I am not great with people. I am certainly not going to be able to rely on work experience to get me anything worthwhile. If I tried to apply to jobs right now moving away from my current one, I doubt I would get any offers for anything worthwhile. Maybe another admin position if I was incredibly lucky, most likely I would struggle to get a burger flipper position.

So if I can't rely on work experience to get me ahead and I can't rely on sales/people skills the next and only thing I can think of is education.

Now the fact is I know this would make Jneil and PQ smile if it was to come to pass but I recognize that actually if I go to Oxbridge/Imperial for maths, and acquire a first class degree I could still come out been envious of burger flippers and garbage men (actually garbage men earn an alright wage they just pay for it with reduced life expectancy but that is a whole other topic I don't want to waste time discussing.)

Yeah been autistic whilst an advantage for intelligence is not such an advantage in every day life. So if Jneil and PQ are right though the university you get your degree from is completely irrelevant. So if I get a 2:1/1st from London Metropolitan it is exactly the same/as valuable as getting a 1st/2:1 from Oxbridge/Imperial?

So if my only concern is getting a job then why if Jneil and PQ are correct why on earth would I ever want to go to Cambridge/Imperial? in fact why would I want to go to Bristol/Bath/Warwick/Southampton?

In fact why would I want to go to Hull/Hertfordshire/Liverpool Hope?

I mean few except the ignorant or deluded, would try to maintain that a degree from Hull is just as hard as a degree from Cambridge? I mean for the question I am building up to salary expectation/reputation etc is completely irrelevant since we are assuming these are all exactly the same.

The only thing that matters is the difficulty of the degree. Now I know if I work really hard at Cambridge I should manage to get a 2:1 and a 1st if I get some luck work my absolute ass of or happen to be a bit smarter then I currently think I am.

However if I am capable of getting the grades I hope to allow me to make a bid for Cambridge place (A*A* in maths and further maths plus distinction in Step 1 and Step 2) then surely I would be capable of getting a 2:1 at London Metropolitan with relative ease? I could probably scrape a 1st without much more effort too.

Note I am not saying I could get this at London Metropolitan with such ease this is based on me been capable of hitting grades that high completely self teaching on top of a full time job at A level and entrance exams. I may be capable of that, I may be in for a rude awakening. However if I can do that, London Met maths program would be a breeze.

so why work my ass off to get a good grade at Cambridge when it is going to be of the exact same value for not much work at all at London met.

Which gets to my actual question why bother at A level at all? I mean we have a lot of people on these forums who want to better themselves and want to go to decent universities for that. However if Jneil and PQ are right they are making big mistakes and been total idiots. If Degree from london met is just as valuable as a degree from Oxbridge then all you need to get into university is weak grades. and far from targeting the top universities you should target the weak universities. In fact you are been an idiot for targeting decent universities.

Further you are been an idiot for working hard on your A levels if you can get A*A*A* by working hard, when that will get the same result in terms of career prospects as getting CCE and getting into a bottom of the league tables university. further top universities don't take general studies but weaker ones do and as most people know General studies you only need to be mildly competent at essay writing and vague general knowledge to get C or better with literally no effort what so ever. Unless you count showing up for the exams having done no study or revision what so ever before hand as effort. I suppose spending an hour and a half answering a paper is some effort. So really you only need to do 2 A levels because General studies is in the bag. Now remember you literally only need CE and quite frankly I think they would be flexible with CDD versus CCE. So in real terms you need DD at A level. Now if you can get B grades let alone A grades your putting in too much effort that time could be spent working as a shelf stacker at tesco instead to get valuable work experience. Not to mention the savings etc so work full time at Tesco as Shelf stacker or KP in some kitchen skip class do the min to scrape DD at A level,

I am serious if Jneil and PQ are correct ( I don't believe they are) why even bother with education surely the best strategy is to make the min effort possible, scrape DDC with the C been in general studies and get into some sub standard university where we can get the 2:1 with relative ease whilst going out been drunk half the time etc. only an idiot would work their ass off to get exactly the same results as they would had they not bothered.

So their is my question Jneil and PQ please explain to me why anyone should work hard at A level? or even University? Surely that is an utterly stupid move if it makes no difference? please answer that?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Luke7456
OK so I have a pretty big question for both Jniel and PQ which I will mention in a bit but first I will explain my mentality my research into it and my motivations.

edit reasoning is explained throughout but the question is at the very bottom if you want to skip to that.

So I have not done well in life, so far. Generally speaking in life almost every area you want to succeed in you need other people to say yes to you. You can't get anywhere in most fields or areas without someone else saying yes to you. You want to go to a decent university someone needs to say yes to you, you want to get a job someone needs to say yes to you. You want to run your own business someone needs to say yes to you. You find out you can't get anywhere you end up homeless begging/selling the big issue (have never sank that low but come close before) someone needs to say yes to buying the big issue of you or giving you money. There are a few exceptions, Poker/gambling, trading on the stock market, app design, internet websites etc. if people know of any others specifically where you could use maths or maths plays a big part please let me know.

So how do I stand out? I mean I am bad with people in fact looking back the only friends I ever had were those using me or those that felt sorry for me. The only girlfriend I ever had was an obese Bipolar Psychotic Narcissistic gold digging whore. You might think I am bitter about that relationship. Well you would be right, but that does not change the facts. She was diagnosed as clinically depressed they said possible Bi Polar and she was a delusional fantasist often making up wild stories which just could not possibly be true. She often wanted life to be like a movie which may or may not sound normal i struggle to describe this it wasn't though. She was selfish to the core went off me because I did not make enough money and even literally said "all women are whores we just have different prices" that's a direct word for word quote btw. I mean if your going to go for gold diggers you might as well try to do better then obese psychotic Bipolar. (i did not know that detail when I started seeing her the Bipolar psycho bit the obese bit was clear obviously)

So I don't really have a great track record with people. My youngest brother is like my polar opposite he is bad at maths, he is a little above average intelligence but not exactly a genius (I technically am only just still say there was stuff wrong with that IQ test was mensa official one not online crap one) But he is brilliant with people, he never seems to have a problem pulling girls. He got crap A levels and went to a crud university, I am literally talking about one right near the bottom of all the league tables. He spent almost his entire time partying at university did barely any work and came out with a 2:1. When he graduated he was turning down Jobs offering 45k. Its ridiculous.

So I look at my self and wonder how I can stand out? some might say work experience well I have a great deal of that working as a glass collector, Kitchen porter, quite a bit of call center work which i got fired from repeatedly for not hitting target as previously stated I am not great with people. I am certainly not going to be able to rely on work experience to get me anything worthwhile. If I tried to apply to jobs right now moving away from my current one, I doubt I would get any offers for anything worthwhile. Maybe another admin position if I was incredibly lucky, most likely I would struggle to get a burger flipper position.

So if I can't rely on work experience to get me ahead and I can't rely on sales/people skills the next and only thing I can think of is education.

Now the fact is I know this would make Jneil and PQ smile if it was to come to pass but I recognize that actually if I go to Oxbridge/Imperial for maths, and acquire a first class degree I could still come out been envious of burger flippers and garbage men (actually garbage men earn an alright wage they just pay for it with reduced life expectancy but that is a whole other topic I don't want to waste time discussing.)

Yeah been autistic whilst an advantage for intelligence is not such an advantage in every day life. So if Jneil and PQ are right though the university you get your degree from is completely irrelevant. So if I get a 2:1/1st from London Metropolitan it is exactly the same/as valuable as getting a 1st/2:1 from Oxbridge/Imperial?

So if my only concern is getting a job then why if Jneil and PQ are correct why on earth would I ever want to go to Cambridge/Imperial? in fact why would I want to go to Bristol/Bath/Warwick/Southampton?

I mean few except the ignorant or deluded, would try to maintain that a degree from Hull is just as hard as a degree from Cambridge? I mean for the question I am building up to salary expectation/reputation etc is completely irrelevant since we are assuming these are all exactly the same.

The only thing that matters is the difficulty of the degree. Now I know if I work really hard at Cambridge I should manage to get a 2:1 and a 1st if I get some luck work my absolute ass of or happen to be a bit smarter then I currently think I am.

However if I am capable of getting the grades I hope to allow me to make a bid for Cambridge place (A*A* in maths and further maths plus distinction in Step 1 and Step 2) then surely I would be capable of getting a 2:1 at London Metropolitan with relative ease? I could probably scrape a 1st without much more effort too.

Note I am not saying I could get this at London Metropolitan with such ease this is based on me been capable of hitting grades that high completely self teaching on top of a full time job at A level and entrance exams. I may be capable of that, I may be in for a rude awakening. However if I can do that, London Met maths program would be a breeze.

so why work my ass off to get a good grade at Cambridge when it is going to be of the exact same value for not much work at all at London met.

Which gets to my actual question why bother at A level at all? I mean we have a lot of people on these forums who want to better themselves and want to go to decent universities for that. However if Jneil and PQ are right they are making big mistakes and been total idiots. If Degree from london met is just as valuable as a degree from Oxbridge then all you need to get into university is weak grades. and far from targeting the top universities you should target the weak universities. In fact you are been an idiot for targeting decent universities.

Further you are been an idiot for working hard on your A levels if you can get A*A*A* by working hard, when that will get the same result in terms of career prospects as getting CCE and getting into a bottom of the league tables university. further top universities don't take general studies but weaker ones do and as most people know General studies you only need to be mildly competent at essay writing and vague general knowledge to get C or better with literally no effort what so ever. Unless you count showing up for the exams having done no study or revision what so ever before hand as effort. I suppose spending an hour and a half answering a paper is some effort. So really you only need to do 2 A levels because General studies is in the bag. Now remember you literally only need CE and quite frankly I think they would be flexible with CDD versus CCE. So in real terms you need DD at A level. Now if you can get B grades let alone A grades your putting in too much effort that time could be spent working as a shelf stacker at tesco instead to get valuable work experience. Not to mention the savings etc so work full time at Tesco as Shelf stacker or KP in some kitchen skip class do the min to scrape DD at A level,

I am serious if Jneil and PQ are correct ( I don't believe they are) why even bother with education surely the best strategy is to make the min effort possible, scrape DDC with the C been in general studies and get into some sub standard university where we can get the 2:1 with relative ease whilst going out been drunk half the time etc. only an idiot would work their ass off to get exactly the same results as they would had they not bothered.

So their is my question Jneil and PQ please explain to me why anyone should work hard at A level? or even University? Surely that is an utterly stupid move if it makes no difference? please answer that?

You can't just get a 2.1 with relative ease. Actually with an attitude like this, you will struggle to pass the access course i'm afraid! Let alone the first and second years?!?

Without the slightest bit of malice, please get therapy.

"There are a few exceptions, Poker/gambling, trading on the stock market"
>implying they're not exactly the same thing.

"all women are whores we just have different prices"
She's right though. Not just all women, everyone in general are whores.

Also mate you shouldn't be typing your EPQ into TSR, it could get flagged for Plagiarism.

Spoiler

Original post by BobBobson

Spoiler

"Better" universities will be far more tough than the bottom percentages because they pack way more modules into a very short space of time. What does this mean realistically for job prospects? For one, you are more likely to have the skills that any given employer may need and your university will be the direct target of a much larger number of companies. Secondly, ignoring the obvious benefit of being a target by a larger number of employers, you will certainly do better in any given interview if your university has better prepared you for it. If I saw a CV from someone who graduated from London Met, I would not immediately discount it. But, as with any other CV from any other university that we don't specifically target, I would want to see more than just a degree.
Original post by BobBobson
"There are a few exceptions, Poker/gambling, trading on the stock market"
>implying they're not exactly the same thing.

"all women are whores we just have different prices"
She's right though. Not just all women, everyone in general are whores.

Also mate you shouldn't be typing your EPQ into TSR, it could get flagged for Plagiarism.

Spoiler

few things I disagree with "all women are whores they just have different prices" I am sure having money helps attract girls and some girls all you may need is money, but for a lot of girls money is not the top priority. I mean unless you want to extend the definition of whore much wider to include whoring for good sex or whoring for good company I would not agree with the all part.

depending on your definition of gambling I actually would not disagree with the notion that Poker/Gambling/stock market are all the same thing.

from what I understand the general colloquial definition of gambling is betting on pure random chance, My understanding of gambling is betting on uncertain outcomes with particular expected results regardless of whether these are positive or negative.

My gambling history involves promo bets on sports, Poker, and the stock market it is possible to have a consistent income from these if done the right way. It would not be realistically possible to make a consistent income from Roulette unless something was wrong with the game. I would look for other avenues where I can make a consistent income using statistics/maths. Poker is pretty much dead, for reasons that go beyond the scope of this thread. The stock market is a possible avenue but has significant downside risk to it long term. With Donald Trumps election though I would say things look much more positive there. However again that is a discussion for another thread. i am eagerly hoping that other areas which can be exploited with statistics/maths alone become apparent to me regardless whether you identify this as gambling or not if you are aware of any please let me know.

Finally what is EPQ? I can only assume your referring to personal statement? I would not write any of what i wrote here on my personal statement. Apart from if I really did achieve A*A* distinction distinction in which case that is now my official grades so why would i be accused of plagiarizing for that?

I am confused none of what I have typed here is something I plan to put on a university application apart from maybe grades if they materialize. so does TSR penalize for this? this was literally my own of the cuff remarks whilst partially drunk in mexico.

whats EPQ and how could i be done for plagiarizing based on what i posted here?
few things I disagree with "all women are whores they just have different prices" I am sure having money helps attract girls and some girls all you may need is money, but for a lot of girls money is not the top priority. I mean unless you want to extend the definition of whore much wider to include whoring for good sex or whoring for good company I would not agree with the all part.

depending on your definition of gambling I actually would not disagree with the notion that Poker/Gambling/stock market are all the same thing.

from what I understand the general colloquial definition of gambling is betting on pure random chance, My understanding of gambling is betting on uncertain outcomes with particular expected results regardless of whether these are positive or negative.

My gambling history involves promo bets on sports, Poker, and the stock market it is possible to have a consistent income from these if done the right way. It would not be realistically possible to make a consistent income from Roulette unless something was wrong with the game. I would look for other avenues where I can make a consistent income using statistics/maths. Poker is pretty much dead, for reasons that go beyond the scope of this thread. The stock market is a possible avenue but has significant downside risk to it long term. With Donald Trumps election though I would say things look much more positive there. However again that is a discussion for another thread. i am eagerly hoping that other areas which can be exploited with statistics/maths alone become apparent to me regardless whether you identify this as gambling or not if you are aware of any please let me know.

Finally what is EPQ? I can only assume your referring to personal statement? I would not write any of what i wrote here on my personal statement. Apart from if I really did achieve A*A* distinction distinction in which case that is now my official grades so why would i be accused of plagiarizing for that?

I am confused none of what I have typed here is something I plan to put on a university application apart from maybe grades if they materialize. so does TSR penalize for this? this was literally my own of the cuff remarks whilst partially drunk in mexico.

whats EPQ and how could i be done for plagiarizing based on what i posted here?

Lol I was just joking about the length of your essay.
You know if your question was simply "If university prestige doesn't matter then why would I even consider the harder oxford over the easy london met?" then you could've just typed that without the wall of text about women being whores or something.
Original post by john2054
You can't just get a 2.1 with relative ease. Actually with an attitude like this, you will struggle to pass the access course i'm afraid! Let alone the first and second years?!?

I have already been to a polytechnic university and got a 2:1 with relative ease. I also know several other people who have done the exact same thing. I was careful to not claim I could do this with a maths degree because that may turn out to be a challenge. However if I am capable of getting A*A* + distinction distinction on top of a full time job in maths and further maths + steps I would assume I would have little difficulty in breezing through london mets maths program.
Original post by coldplasma
You know if your question was simply "If university prestige doesn't matter then why would I even consider the harder oxford over the easy london met?" then you could've just typed that without the wall of text about women being whores or something.

I never called women whores, my ex did. I was quoting her. it was more a point of my low pulling power to attract such a low class girl. I think the majority of girls would be better then just outright gold diggers selling themselves to the highest bidder.

saying things concisely has never been a talent of mine. Which is why I would do better on maths degree where it is just figures vs a philosophy/English degree where i would likely run out of time due to waffling on. Managing to make this point as concisely as I have here is good for me. Even though you could probably say the same thing again in much fewer words.
I never called women whores, my ex did. I was quoting her. it was more a point of my low pulling power to attract such a low class girl. I think the majority of girls would be better then just outright gold diggers selling themselves to the highest bidder.

The only girlfriend I ever had was an obese Bipolar Psychotic Narcissistic gold digging whore.

QED. Please get therapy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Rubbish.

Thank you so much for setting her straight. I want to firm Lancaster...

what a *****
I have already been to a polytechnic university and got a 2:1 with relative ease. I also know several other people who have done the exact same thing. I was careful to not claim I could do this with a maths degree because that may turn out to be a challenge. However if I am capable of getting A*A* + distinction distinction on top of a full time job in maths and further maths + steps I would assume I would have little difficulty in breezing through london mets maths program.

which university did you go to, what was your degree title, what year did you graduate, and what was the ceremony like?

university is nothing like a levels, im afraid!
Original post by coldplasma
QED. Please get therapy.

I do not need therapy I have done that before most of the time it is your not a loser your good guy blah blah save it.

Look here is some brutal facts people are not equal. We are not all equal sorry been so blunt but this is true. Everyone with half a brain knows this is true. I don't have social skills, My physique is distinctly average, apart from some peculiar high tolerance for pain (discovered from mixing with the BDSM scene) personally I am not sure if that is more a psychical thing or a mental manipulation I learned (embrace the pain imagine it flowing through you and it becomes more a sensation then unpleasant experience) I don't know how to explain this it is just something I learned please do not try this. this may be related to my autism I don't know. The one thing I have is my intelligence I should make myself excel their and focus on my core strengths.

higher earning power would still help with the ladies but is not the reason I am seeking it. I just like playing with maths and also would like to have the FU power. briefly I have been in jobs where I know if I quit I am going to be unable to buy food/pay rent etc before. so had to put up with bullying/ etc. I believe rightly or wrongly if i attained a decent position working with statistics I would be less likely to be degraded/bullied.
This may not be the case time will tell. However if I am earning enough to bank a reserve at some point I can say FU I dont need this I got six months+ to find better I quit.

though I obviously would be more diplomatic in my resignation point is money is power to an extent and if I had a reserve I would not be forced to endure a hell.
Original post by john2054
which university did you go to, what was your degree title, what year did you graduate, and what was the ceremony like?

university is nothing like a levels, im afraid!

I did not attend the graduation Ceremony University i went to was a mid league table polytechnic. I don't want to give out exact details because I still prefer to remain anonymous.

I did a business degree. won't give out its exact title for reasons already mentioned.

Maths A level is more work then my entire degree. Seriously. In literal terms it would take more work to get an A or better at maths A level then to get a 2:1 in my degree.
I did not attend the graduation Ceremony University i went to was a mid league table polytechnic. I don't want to give out exact details because I still prefer to remain anonymous.

I did a business degree. won't give out its exact title for reasons already mentioned.

Maths A level is more work then my entire degree. Seriously. In literal terms it would take more work to get an A or better at maths A level then to get a 2:1 in my degree.

you can't even tell me the name and title of degree you did.

excuse me but this is tsr, degrees are two a dozen at this place.

how about i propose another alternative, you can't tell me what degree you did because you haven't done one.

am i right??

Latest

Trending

Trending