The Alternative Economics League Table (TAELT) 2009 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by El Mariachi)
Damn, that's new for this year, last time I checked you didn't need STEP/AEA if you had FM.

Arrghhh another spanner in the works!

Also, why would I need to find out about students taking more than 1 sitting...:confused:
Well becauase if you do take STEP/AEA then that will be in a different year. I am not saying that would be an issue. Just that you need to get it checked out.
ExRx123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Paulwhy)
Well becauase if you do take STEP/AEA then that will be in a different year. I am not saying that would be an issue. Just that you need to get it checked out.
Ohhhhhhhh ok I see, by more than 1 sitting I thought you meant re-sits, was a bit confused!

I really don't think I'll have the mental power to do STEP this year, especially as Warwick would be my third choice, I might just consider applying for straight eco.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Ohhhhhhhh ok I see, by more than 1 sitting I thought you meant re-sits, was a bit confused!

I really don't think I'll have the mental power to do STEP this year, especially as Warwick would be my third choice, I might just consider applying for straight eco.
D you mean all econ or just econ at Warwick? becuase I don't Warwick will be much impressed if you apply for econ with a Maths and econ PS.
ExRx123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
D you mean all econ or just econ at Warwick? becuase I don't Warwick will be much impressed if you apply for econ with a Maths and econ PS.
I meant just Warwick econ.

Hmmmm, really, my PS is pretty well balanced, I think it would work for straight econ, but perhaps not for a uni as competitive at Warwick. Paulwhy, would you mind if I PM'd you my PS, and you could have a quick look and let me know if it's definitely not straight eco suitable?
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
I meant just Warwick econ.

Hmmmm, really, my PS is pretty well balanced, I think it would work for straight econ, but perhaps not for a uni as competitive at Warwick. Paulwhy, would you mind if I PM'd you my PS, and you could have a quick look and let me know if it's definitely not straight eco suitable?
Sorry although in theory I still review PSs I don't in practice (no time as I spend so much time in the economics forum!)

personally I think if you want to do E+M you should do E+M. ok you would have to do some work this year if you were to get into Warwick But then you would need to do that anyway as else you will be pretty stale by next year!
ExRx123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sorry although in theory I still review PSs I don't in practice (no time as I spend so much time in the economics forum!)

personally I think if you want to do E+M you should do E+M. ok you would have to do some work this year if you were to get into Warwick But then you would need to do that anyway as else you will be pretty stale by next year!
No worries.

I was planning to spend the last month or so catching up with my maths, so hopefully it wouldn't have been a massive problem.

It's a close call, I was going to take STEP I last year, but chickened out at the last minute, and I suppose I'd only need a 2 not a 1, it's just a matter of time really which I don't have a lot of!

EDIT: Think I'm going to go for MORSE, as a lot of my PS is econometricsy, should work quite well. Then I don't need STEP either.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
I have added in the unistats 06-07 data.
This has effected the spreadsheet version.
What extra information is in the spreadsheet version?
Tariff Frequency05-06 What % of students came in each of 10 tariff categories
Tariff Accumulation 05-06 Summation of the sheet 3 data so can see what % of students got below a certain tariff
Tariff Frequency06-07 What % of students came in each of 10 tariff categories
Tariff Accumulation 06-07 Summation of the sheet 3 data so can see what % of students got below a certain tariff
Change in Tariff AccumulationHow the situation changed between the 06/07 and 05/06 years.
and the group headings in the print version:
ABB.1 (320 Points) (Up to 11% of students have less than 320 points: Glasgow 10%, Birmingham 6%, Manchester (Ba) 9%, Cardiff 9%, Lancaster 11%, Newcastle 10%)

ABB.3 (320 Points) (More than 39% of students have less than 320 points: Essex 42%,UEA 40%, Leicester 49%, Reading 51%; Clearing 2007 and 2008 (all); % studnets BBC and below ( Essex 20% UEA 15%, Leicester 19%, Reading 26%)

BBB.1 (300 Points) (Up to 10% of students have less than 280 points), Sheffield (6%), Liverpool (10%), Queen Mary 9%), Queens Belfast (0%)

BBB.2 (300 Points) (Atleast 14% of students below 280 points) (City (14%),Surrey (54%), Kent (54%), Swansea (51%)

CCC.1 (240 Points) (<20% of students sub 240 points in 2005/6) Dundee (5%), Aberdeeen (15%), Ulster (15%)

CCC.2 (240 Points) (Atleast 20% of students some 240 points) Manchester Met (50%), Salford (Unreported), Portsmouth (42%), Nottingham Trent (65%), Hertfordshire (66%), Bradford (Unreported)
Currently all the unis are still in the same groups. The only change I might make is to move City up.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
In the 06/07 frequency data for clarity I have removed the 0%s and replaced them with nulls.
nottinghameconomist
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Average tariff data is seriously flawed; of course a smaller department will have a higher tariff as the ratio of applicants to place are higher. For example, at Nottingham this year there are 360 students and ALL the students have at least 3 A's - we were told this in the introductry lecture. Obviously there will be a higher percentage of students with 4 A's at a university like UCL because its intake is much lower.
dangaming
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've read the entire thread but I still do not understand why the table says Bristol does not accept ABB when AAA-ABB is its headline offer.

Can Paulwhy or anybody please answer this please. In addition, is there any point applying to a uni if your one grade (3 UMS ) below its typical offer.
I'm currently a ABBbb student in Economics, Maths, French, Further Maths and Philosophy respectively; but there are lots of AAB places I'd like to apply to.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by dangaming)
I've read the entire thread but I still do not understand why the table says Bristol does not accept ABB when AAA-ABB is its headline offer.
Can Paulwhy or anybody please answer this please.
Thanks for pointing that out. Yes Bristol is a bit of an old ball i.e. it claims to have typical offers that span 3 grades. And yes the AAB.1 heading description does contradict the Bristol offer situation. I think Bristol is in the right group. i.e. the AAB.1 unis are harder to get offers from than the AAB.2 unis and Bristol is one of the places it is harder to get offers from. So I will have to try and come up with a new description for AAB.1

In addition, is there any point applying to a uni if your one grade (3 UMS ) below its typical offer.
I'm currently a ABBbb student in Economics, Maths, French, Further Maths and Philosophy respectively; but there are lots of AAB places I'd like to apply to.
I think you have a reasonable chance at the AAB.2 unis. So maybe apply 2 AAB.2 2 ABB.1 and 1 ABB.2. Possible variations:
i) Apply for 1 of the AAB.1 unis. e.g. Bristol But I don't think you have much chance. Though it could be the right decision for you if there is somewhere you really fancy despite your lack of chances. i.e. else you might be left wondering what if.
ii) Apply for 1 of the ABB.3 unis. All 4 of these have been in clearing for the last 2 years and they take a lot of students with grades well below ABB (Check out the Clearing 2008 economics forum and the TAELT 2009 spreadsheet). But if there is somewhere on the list you really fancy put it down.
iii)Apply for one of the BBB.1 unis as backup. Again I don't think you need to do that because of the ABB.3 situation. But if you have a strong preference for 1 of the BBB.1 places c.f. ABB.3 that could make sense.

p.s.s what grades did you get at AS?
dangaming
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

p.s.s what grades did you get at AS?
I got AABB in Economics, Maths French and Philosophy respectively, but i dont see how that changes anything.

This league table has just made me depressed because it has just underlined how competitive all these places are.
I did further maths AS in year 13 as i couldn't start it in year 12 due to timetable restrictions. Do you think there is any point in me completing it during my gap year with the intention of getting an A in it, will i get conditional offers based on it or will they ignore the fact im still doing studies in a third year which is not worth as much merit. I hope that makes sense.

p.s. As of 2009 Lancaster is now AAB, this is confirmed both on UCAS and their website. Althought they allow one of those grade to be a combination of two ASs taken in different years, so it shoulf probbaly moved to AAB.2 IMO but your the boss.
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/coursesearch/...sion_id=000109
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
I got AABB in Economics, Maths French and Philosophy respectively, but i dont see how that changes anything.
Well it is good that you are AS grade a in both econ and Maths.
This league table has just made me depressed because it has just underlined how competitive all these places are.
Try not to be depressed. Check out the econ uni guide from my sig. i.e. AAB.2 unis are not that competitive.

I did further maths AS in year 13 as i couldn't start it in year 12 due to timetable restrictions. Do you think there is any point in me completing it during my gap year with the intention of getting an A in it, will i get conditional offers based on it or will they ignore the fact im still doing studies in a third year which is not worth as much merit. I hope that makes sense.
Sorry. I did not previously understand that you were in a gap year. i.e. I took the A-level grades to be predictions not actuals. So I think the AAB.1 unis are out.
Certianly worth you doing FM A2 and resitting M A2. It can only help and it will show willing, keep your brain active etc.
p.s. As of 2009 Lancaster is now AAB, this is confirmed both on UCAS and their website. Althought they allow one of those grade to be a combination of two ASs taken in different years, so it shoulf probbaly moved to AAB.2 IMO but your the boss.
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/coursesearch/...sion_id=000109
Thank you for that. Yes Lancaster should be moved out of ABB.1 Either to AAB.2 or that maybe a new group e.g. AAB.2.2 (i.e. it is Ba). I will check out the entry conditions of the other AAB.2 unis. And think about it.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Thank you for that. Yes Lancaster should be moved out of ABB.1 Either to AAB.2 or that maybe a new group e.g. AAB.2.2 (i.e. it is Ba). I will check out the entry conditions of the other AAB.2 unis. And think about it.
I have moved Lancaster out of ABB.1. Pretty sure that the previous wrong category was not due to me misclassifying but due to Lancaster changing their policy. This is becuase the IB requriements were also wrong on TAELT and I extrect the A-level and IB stuff at different times.

Now in AAB.2 Not sure this is a great ceatgory for it as they accept AAB/AAbb/ABaa. Or 2 A-levels plus an AVCE. But it is better than ABB.1
shinhans31
Report 10 years ago
UCL AAAe M**A 38 Grades 6,6,6 at Higher level required including Mathematics. 459 **A.
Thanks a lot Paulwhy!
But I have a question though. On the UCL website, they say a 7 in HL Maths is a requirement. Are you sure that a 6 is a standard offer for Economics?
and.. I did my HLs in Maths, English and Korean.
I'm considering to apply
Oxford, LSE, UCL, Warwick and not sure about the fifth one...
Which one would you suggest me?
1) Another course at LSE (similar to econonmics) like Economics with econ history
2) safety choice - Durham or Bristol?
I really don't need safety choice though, as I will be starting my course in next Jan.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by shinhans31)
Thanks a lot Paulwhy!
But I have a question though. On the UCL website, they say a 7 in HL Maths is a requirement. Are you sure that a 6 is a standard offer for Economics?
I am an Economist so I don't get to be sure.
But UCAS Couse Search still has UCL as "Grades 6,6,6 at Higher level required including Mathematics."
So you should email them to find out which is correct.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
The latest update to TAELT:
Why are the AAB.0 and BBB.0 groups out of order?
I have:
1) moved the AAB.0 group (Warwick) up to above the AAA.2 group
2) moved the BBB.o group (Edinburgh) up to above the AAB.2 group.

This is an attempt to put unis into the order they would be if they were priced
to market. Means that:
1) unis in higher groups are more competitive.
2)the table is no longer (totally) in Typical Offer
order
3) Table now reflects that there is a discontinuity at the AAB.2 group in terms of competitiveness.
4) the table bends the rule of having firm and insurance unis in
higher and lower groups. But:
i)that rule still applies with .1 .2 unis
ii)that rule still applies within each XXX group.
iii)the rest of the group orderings are consistent with the "hardness" to get into concept.
iv)Can justify move on basis that .0 unis are not priced to market.
5) users no longer have to mentally move Warwick and Edinburgh to make sense of
the table as it has been done physically
sv90
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
just having a look at the spreadsheet version of your table.

The median group for Nottingham seems to be 440-479 tariff points and the median is 450, yet they only offer AAA - how does that work (or is it because they offer AABB for 4 A-Levels as well?)

Also, the median seems to be very high for lots of unis. The median for Bath is 440 which is more than AAA at A2 + A at AS. Is this just because the table only takes into account offers made rather than who actually accepted them? - i.e. it'll be skewed slightly as those who have AAAA or whatever are just more likely to receive offers.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by sv90)
just having a look at the spreadsheet version of your table.

The median group for Nottingham seems to be 440-479 tariff points and the median is 450, yet they only offer AAA - how does that work (or is it because they offer AABB for 4 A-Levels as well?)

Also, the median seems to be very high for lots of unis. The median for Bath is 440 which is more than AAA at A2 + A at AS. Is this just because the table only takes into account offers made rather than who actually accepted them? - i.e. it'll be skewed slightly as those who have AAAA or whatever are just more likely to receive offers.
The tariff data comes from unistats. It is for actual economics students studying at each uni. And it is the total tariff points for all qualifications (e.g. A-levels, AS-levels and anything on the UCAS Tariiff points list) held by those students. i.e. not just A-levels and not just 3 A-levels.
i.e. the tariff figure is a function of the characteristics of the students at the uni and not a function of the uni's typical offer.

So if a student has AAAAA at A-level plus another AS-level a grade and is at Cambridge they will have 5*120 + 60 = 660 points. despite the Cambridge offer being AAA = 360 points.
sv90
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ok, so eg. Bath. Median is 440, so that's (based on purely A-Levels); AAA at A2, A at AS and a bit. Which is quite scary. I'm sure I'm interpreting it wrong, but isn't that quite high for an AAB offer university?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (316)
37.44%
No - but I will (66)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.35%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (400)
47.39%

Watched Threads