The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes

:sigh:
Reply 201
All. The. Frigging. Time.

My name is Huw, though, so it's understandable. It gets misspelt as Hugh, Hew, Hue, and mispronounced as basically any other name, but usually it's just a "what?" and I have to repeat it five times. Thank you parents.
Not my real name, but often people miss the e from Locke.
Reply 203
I've an Irish language name.

Irish people pronounce it correctly and spell it badly.
Everybody else makes the effort to spell it right but make a complete hash of pronouncing it.
i don't even bother saying my name to people over the phone or whatever i just automatically spell it out, no chance of it being spelt correctly unless they were indian haha
Yes.

You'd be amazed at how many different ways people can find of spelling and saying "Ann-Marie". :angry:
Reply 206
honestly dont complain.... u lot have european names so its still easier to interpret...

think about ppl with chinese names like me :frown: to be frank, no one ever pronounces them right so yea :/

Edit: sry european as in its still understandable from the way it is spelt
Reply 207
Yes, all the time! Teachers rarely said my name right, so just called me by my surname Anderson. And I very rarely get people spelling my name right!
People are generally pretty good at my name, though my surname has a lot of letters that can get mixed up over the phone (there is an N and a T for starters).

I hate hate hate people shortening my name for me though. I LIKE my full name, use it!
Original post by Annie72
Is your first name "Luke" by any chance?.Only I had a biology teacher called Luke Neal.

Lol yeah it is, although I can assure you I'm not a biology teacher :tongue:
Reply 210
Original post by lukas1051
Lol yeah it is, although I can assure you I'm not a biology teacher :tongue:

I see...nor was the Mr Neal we had at college!, not a proper bio teacher anyway.We ended up teaching ourselves and we all passed!.
Not a single person outside Thailand has ever been able to pronounce my surname. Ever. *sighs*
People seem to struggle with my full name - Eléna. I get called Eleanor a lot. And people pronouncing it El-eee-na, it's El-AY-na. Missing the accent off annoys the heck out me too. :angry: I've had people struggle with the shortened version too - I've had Ellie spelt as Elly many times.
People usually can't spell my surname or say it correctly. It's probably because it's an Irish surname, but it's pretty common, Gallagher.
My first name is pretty simple enough but i hate it when people shorten my name to 'kels' even when i hardly know them, it bugs me!

My surname however confuses the hell amount of people, so many times when i am at an interview or booking a table for dinner i say 'noonan' and it gets confused as 'newman' i want to slam their heads in >< they don't notice they do it wrong until i see my name written down and i have to correct them and ask for them to write it again, i refuse to be known as a different name :smile:
Reply 215
I have a French (given) name with its English "counterpart": Gaëlle / Gail.

When I say my name the French way, most US or UK people just stare at me.
When I then say "Gail", so the English counterpart, they actually manage effortlessly to pronounce my name...the French way!! (o_O)'

Either my pronunciation sucks or my given name is the problem! I'd like it to be the 2nd choice, although I rather like my name.

But then, my family name is just... I have given up on wanting anyone to pronounce it right (even French people actually make mistakes on it xD)!
Over the last 20 years I have had Sin, Shin, Shine, Sean (I'm not a boy ffs), Shauna, Sheen, Seen, Sian, Sign... both just reading my name for the first time and after numerous corrections. At this point I just let them call me whatever they read it as unless they specifically ask, because I can't be bothered anymore ¬¬
Reply 217
I hate it when this happens, but I realised when the person takes interest in you, they get your name always right :smile:
Reply 218
My parents called me Kerri :|

Well its not actually my parents fault its my grandparents as I'm named after my mother, spend my whole life being Kerry, even my father in a birthday card once...
Reply 219
Yes I have to repeat my name 3 or 4 times and even then sometimes people don't say it properly so I just nod my head and say yeah to however they pronounce it *cough cough ..college tutor* And for spelling well there have been many different variations -_-