Turn on thread page Beta

If you get STDs, it is your own fault watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poossum)
    From Man Met girls degree article:

The degree result is much more important than A-levels,

So result surely must encompass institution? O dear.
    You're missing the big picture. A company would take someone with a 1st from a lower uni over someone with a 3:1 from oxbridge because when the oxbridge student was getting in to oxbridge they possibly had their parents pushing them really hard and their teachers made sure that they did their work and that they weren't lazy (especially if they went to a private school). This then changed when they got to a much more free environment, and they ceased to work so hard.
    Someone who got a really good degree from a lesser institution may not have been suited to a school type learning environment and had a crappy time at school, but then found that they were much better at working in a university environment with more freedom and such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    One person. Over how many people I have talked to?

And if you actually read my posts, I never once said I wanted to be a barrister.
    I will readily admit that that is still an old-boy's system that is less susceptible to opening up, unlike firms, which have more business incentives for being diverse.
    Of course, she went to Oxford, what was the point? She should have gone to Manchester Met/Polytechnic which it may have been then. I think she will know the legal system better than you. It is so competitive, Man Met doesn't have much of a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serrellen)
    I wouldn't have "picked on her" if she hadn't been making such an idiot of herself.
    you didn't answer question number three. are you better than me since i go to Essex uni? :curious:

i don't see her making an idiot of herself. i see you and the OP trying to make her look like an idiot, but i personally don't see anythign stupid about her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kultist)
    You're missing the big picture. A company would take someone with a 1st from a lower uni over someone with a 3:1 from oxbridge .
    Maybe they would take someone with a first from Warwick, Bristol, Exeter - hell, even ORDINARY Manchester over someone with a third from Oxbridge. But Manchester Met is just absurdly awful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilina)
    you didn't answer question number three. are you better than me since i go to Essex uni? :curious:
    I'd say I'm more academic, yes. Is that ground-breaking?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they would take someone with a first from Warwick, Bristol, Exeter - hell, even ORDINARY Manchester over someone with a third from Oxbridge. But Manchester Met is just absurdly awful.
    Having to repeat myself - firms do not care. If its a first, from any uni, it deserves respect. Any 2:1 will be considered.

ReputationRep:
    I think that this topic has lost its focus and its not about who knows what, or whos opinions are not right or what some people may find uneducated. That's the point of this thread is to discuss and maybe learn something, right?

I think it would be very arrogant and inappropriate for someone to believe that anyone who has contracted something has only themselves to blame. They may, or may not, have put themselves at risk which has then resulted in this outcome, but should not be condemned as this could happen in any number of ways, at the fault of themselves or of others but it is still a very prominent problem which people should be able to deal with without feeling shame or as if it is their fault, as feeling this way may stop people from getting tested and so on...

x x x

ReputationRep:
    I find it amusing that arrogant little ********* still in sixth form seem to think they know more about the university system than those who actually have real experience of it. You haven't even taken A-levels yet, there's stillplenty of time for you to go wrong, and with debating "skills" like you're showing, I sure hope you're not taking any arts subjects...

ReputationRep:
    If its a first, from any uni, it deserves respect.
    That's just wrong. I can see you won't be argued with, but some universities are better-regarded than others for a reason. Their graduates will have better careeer prospects. It's okay to admit!

ReputationRep:
    Having to repeat myself - firms do not care. If its a first, from any uni, it deserves respect. Any 2:1 will be considered.

Are you serious? If it's a first firms do not care.....I'm sorry that is just not true. Unis like Man Met award firsts and 2:1s like there is no tomorrow. Prob 80% come out with 1st or 2:1 so it is not that great an achievement, and I would take a 3rd from Oxford over a 1st from Man Met any day, and I am sure most people would agree with me.

ReputationRep:
    Good point bubbly_girl50.

I do find it annoying, immature and rather disrespectful for people to try and water down and distract the debate by aiming comments on one's university, when they are merely contributing to the discussion and asking for opinions to be founded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joanna May)
    I find it amusing that arrogant little ********* still in sixth form seem to think they know more about the university system than those who actually have real experience of it. You haven't even taken A-levels yet, there's stillplenty of time for you to go wrong, and with debating "skills" like you're showing, I sure hope you're not taking any arts subjects...
    It can go wrong for me and still I'll be OK, my AS results basically took any pressure off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joanna May)
    with debating "skills" like you're showing, I sure hope you're not taking any arts subjects...
    I'm coping pretty well, actually...

ReputationRep:
    Are you serious? If it's a first firms do not care.....I'm sorry that is just not true. Unis like Man Met award firsts and 2:1s like there is no tomorrow. Prob 80% come out with 1st or 2:1 so it is not that great an achievement, and I would take a 3rd from Oxford over a 1st from Man Met any day, and I am sure most people would agree with me.
    Probably? You don't even know!
    And if you did, you'd realise that 1st and 2:1s are awarded more at Oxbridge compared to Man Met. Don't tell me about the results of my own university when you have no idea.

And no, be sure that most people will not agree with you.

ReputationRep:
    It can go wrong for me and still I'll be OK, my AS results basically took any pressure off.
    Oh, ditto. My lowest A was 285/300, so it seems arts subjects are perhaps my forte after all.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say I'm more academic, yes. Is that ground-breaking?
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:

And know, be sure that most people will not agree with you.
    ... I agree with him...

Oxbridge has name recognition. (So does MMU, but probably for the wrong reasons).

ReputationRep:
    Oh, ditto. My lowest A was 285/300, so it seems arts subjects are perhaps my forte after all.
    Same for me, having full marks in Art.
    But if you're anything like your attitudes towards unis, you should be dissappointed that your forte isn't even a tough A-level.

ReputationRep:
    Probably? You don't even know!
    And if you did, you'd realise that 1st and 2:1s are awarded more at Oxbridge compared to Man Met. Don't tell me about the results of my own university when you have no idea.

And no, be sure that most people will not agree with you.
    Sorry 75.2%, times university guide, it took long because I had to scroll down so far!

ReputationRep:
    Same for me, having full marks in Art.
    But if you're anything like your attitudes towards unis, you should be dissappointed that your forte isn't even a tough A-level.
    Shall we see if I make MMU?

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.