How much do you think that doctors should be paid? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ToastyCoke)
I thought you had to sign contracts that stated if you spoke about anything you saw to anybody out-with the health centre you could potentially lose your job? I had to...
She has to tell you it was who it was for it to breach confidentiality.
username239687
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by anna_spanner89)
yeah if i mentioned a name.

eg mr smith had a catheter put in at ward C65 at 11am today..then i'll lose the job

(fake name and ward btw)

Ahh righty-o. Just wondered and thought I'd ask
dob86
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I thought you had to sign contracts that stated if you spoke about anything you saw to anybody out-with the health centre you could potentially lose your job? I had to...
They didn't mention anybody's name, location, identifying data. I'm sure they'll live.

edit: missed the boat on that one!
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ahh righty-o. Just wondered and thought I'd ask

to be honest with you if healthcare staff can't rant and rave about work to outside people, we'd all go mad..or madder
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Egypt)
Hmmm, I'm happy with the pay scales at the moment. All I want is honest remuneration for the job done ie being paid for the hours you actually do, not the hours a manager says you ought to do.

I would also scrap supernumery/unbanded jobs. £1100 per month after tax was not enough money for me to pay my rent/debts/bills/fuel etc and have enough left over to have a life. I was earning the same as I did when I worked as a barman with far less responsibility and stress

On a side note just because you are FY1 or FY2 does not mean you are unqualified - you have just spent 6 years training to meet the minimum required level to be allowed to work as a doctor. In medicine you will always be a trainee.
Deffo! As an HCA doing lots of unsocial hours and overtime you could make almost that much, if not more.
Sithius
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rosaaa)
That's lovely, any particular reason why?
Because they are already being paid nearly over 4x the national average. Their services leave much to be desired a lot of the time. I have some ongoing problems that require an MRI scan but have basically been told to **** off whenever I've brought it up with a doctor.

The only thing they are good at is handing out antidepressants to be quite honest.
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sithius)
Because they are already being paid nearly over 4x the national average. Their services leave much to be desired a lot of the time. I have some ongoing problems that require an MRI scan but have basically been told to **** off whenever I've brought it up with a doctor.

The only thing they are good at is handing out anti-depressants to be quite honest.

who told you this? a doctor?
Sithius
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
who told you this? a doctor?
Common sense.
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
EDIT: £560 every month :
Ah yes. Nursing students...

- don't pay tuition fees
- get paid a bursary for living costs
- usually do a 3 year course

So are unlikely to be in much debt, if at all.

Whereas, medical students...

- pay tuition fees say 3.5k/year
- pay for their own living costs accom maybe 5k per year
- do a 5/6 year course

Yes, doctors should have higher salaries than nurses. (Not to mention differences and skills of the jobs)
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Common sense.

ie your knowledge..and you're questioning this over a guy who's been in school for 6 years? If they gave you a fairly valid reason for not ordering a scan, then trust it
Sithius
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ie your knowledge..and you're questioning this over a guy who's been in school for 6 years? If they gave you a fairly valid reason for not ordering a scan, then trust it
Good one, except you don't even know what my problem is. If you must know it's my knees. Ever since 16 I've had pain, and it's so bad that sometimes I can't do cardio because of the pain. As I'm into weightlifting, it also can become a frustration when I'm squatting, and so it's not much to ask the NHS (which I am paying for) to give me an MRI scan so I can see if my tendons/ligaments are damaged.
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by No Future)
Ah yes. Nursing students...

- don't pay tuition fees
- get paid a bursary for living costs
- usually do a 3 year course

So are unlikely to be in much debt, if at all.

Whereas, medical students...

- pay tuition fees say 3.5k/year
- pay for their own living costs accom maybe 5k per year
- do a 5/6 year course

Yes, doctors should have higher salaries than nurses. (Not to mention differences and skills of the jobs)

can I point out for degree students, they get the same as any normal student just the source of funding is different, and the maintenance loan needs to be paid back, so are in debt..

I don't because im a special nursing student...
dob86
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

The only thing they are good at is handing out antidepressants to be quite honest.
You should probably take what they're handing out then and stfu.
charlo26
Report 9 years ago
I don't think Doctors should be paid more than nurses. I worked as a volunteer in an Endoscopy Unit for 6 months and the nurses seem (in my opinion) to work equally as hard as doctors. They also have to put up with Doctors throwing their weight around and being rude to them- and to patients. It is common conversation for nurses who look at the rota and see that they are working with Dr this or that, to be worrying what kind of mood he'll be in or that they'll draw up all the right drugs and the doctor will then change his mind and blame the nurses.

I ended up disliking Doctors without even meeting them properly.

Nurses work way over their hours- in the unit I was working in anyway- and the doctors would leave even though they actually should stay until all the patients have recovered and either returned to their ward or gone home. My mum works 8-6, but she'd be there til 7 usually and sometimes until 8/9 oclock.

I'm not saying many Doctors don't do a good job, but nurses really should be paid the same.
Sithius
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dob86)
You should probably take what they're handing out then and stfu.
Lol, why is that? I'm not depressed, don't know about you.
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
so it's not much to ask the NHS to give me an MRI scan so I can see if my tendons/ligaments are damaged.
Why do you need an MRI scan for that? :confused:
Mask Of Sanity
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
After medical school, damn right they deserve more early on.
Surely the pay isn't horrendously bad, but they could do with a bit more.
Sithius
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
Why do you need an MRI scan for that? :confused:
Because how else would I know if my tendons/ligaments are the problem?
dob86
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Lol, why is that? I'm not depressed, don't know about you.
Probably assuming the sick role from long term "ligament problems". Oh, How nobody listens to me! All that medical rejection could be making you depressed? It's ok, you can let it out.

You could always go to BUPA for your superfluous, not needed investigation? You might get peace of mind, maybe even a shiny arthroscopy, at the right price.
Badges: 2
Report 9 years ago
There salaries are fair. Spending 6 years learning to poke boils and play with veracious veins all day. They deserve some pro's...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?