Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lit2010)
    Has anyone gone through the PGCE relying on car-sharing/ public transport to get to placements? If so, how did you manage it?
    I did, buses.

I'm in Norwich at uea. I have found it fine but I've been very lucky with my placements, one was only 15 mins bus away (I live less than 5 mins from the bus stop), the other is about 30 mins bus. So both good. I would like to be able to leave a little bit later on the second one, as the bus is at 6:59 but the next one wouldn't get me there till 20 mins before the kids.

My uni is very accommodating and does their best to make it reasonable for people, but with so many situations to consider (transport, childcare, knowing someone who works at the school) there are sometimes long journeys involved. A friend of mine has to get a train but her first placement was walking distance.

Basically, it'd be easier with a car but it's certainly doable, and you can always use time on a bus or train to catch up on paperwork or just relax, read, listen to music since you won't have much time for that! I find it helps to relax and prepare me if I read on the bus.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lit2010)
    Has anyone gone through the PGCE relying on car-sharing/ public transport to get to placements? If so, how did you manage it?
    Yep, 2 buses to placement 1 (rural-ish school), around 40 minutes-1 hour. Was fine, meant an earlier start and just make sure you don't regularly rely on the latest possible bus to get you there, give yourself some leeway, especially if there are fewer buses, always worth getting the earlier one.

Placement 2 was a lift share, 1 hour long journey, only downside is relying on others' schedules and them actually going in! Fortunately when that happened I did have the option of the train, and so could get home if I/they needed to stay late or something.

It's actually really therapeutic sharing lifts as you get chance to let off steam about the day. And equally getting a bus/train is relaxing time rather than having to pay attention while driving!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    Thank you. Which university is it you go to, and for what subject? Also, do you say that going to a better university may have prepared you for it because you know people who have found it easier going who came from stronger universities, or is it just a general feeling?
    I'm doing Primary at LSBU. I don't mean a "stronger" uni as such, but a uni that knew a thing or two about basic organisation and actually seemed to care about students might have been beneficial
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarBabyCat)
    My uni have had sessions too, and I'm on my last go, so no, the real ones were harder! Although as I say, it's not really the maths that I can't handle; it's the pressure. It'd be great to have the PowerPoint, ta!
    PM me your email

ReputationRep:
    So stressed. So much to do but I'm falling to pieces

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    So stressed. So much to do but I'm falling to pieces
    Send me a pm to rant if you like, I've got a meeting in a few minutes but will read it ASAP

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    3 days til placement is over!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smartarse1983)
    3 days til placement is over!
    Yes! Same here.

Unfortunately my brain has now shut down in anticipation of the course ending and I have no motivation to do any work whatsoever. Shame about the 2 lessons I still need to plan for tomorrow...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if I want to do tbis anymore.

I've been offered a new job and i don't know what to do. Is the grass really greener elsewhere?

The good points are that I'd be in charge of my owb classes and get paid holidays. However it means relocating.

What do i do?

ReputationRep:
    I finished my final placement today! I have a morning of university tomorrow and then I'm done!! Ahh!! Cannot believe that the end is here! I've been so lucky and was given a job at my first placement school which I absolutely LOVED so I'm over the moon and had excellents in everything today o glad it's over though! It's been a ridiculously difficult year!!

I'm so sorry that some of you have had everything bad happen at once It always comes together! Just keep pushing through it. You're so close to the end now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel_night)
    I finished my final placement today! I have a morning of university tomorrow and then I'm done!! Ahh!! Cannot believe that the end is here! I've been so lucky and was given a job at my first placement school which I absolutely LOVED so I'm over the moon and had excellents in everything today o glad it's over though! It's been a ridiculously difficult year!!

I'm so sorry that some of you have had everything bad happen at once It always comes together! Just keep pushing through it. You're so close to the end now!
    Congrats!! And more so because you have a job. How did you get the job? Did they tell you to apply or just offer it and when was this? It's nice to read success stories

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Congrats!! And more so because you have a job. How did you get the job? Did they tell you to apply or just offer it and when was this? It's nice to read success stories
    Thank you . I had my first placement there, October to February. I applied for a job the week I left and the following week the school called m and asked me to come in to talk to them. They said that a job should be coming up, but it wasn't 100% but that they really wanted to me. I pulled out of the interview for the job I had applied for and played a waiting game with my placement school, each month having everything more and more certain until it was finally 100% confirmed last Tuesday . I was lucky and the governors approved me as the senior management team had really wanted me and I had done well there and on my final placement,vso I didn't have to have am interview or teach an observation lesson. Could have ended in disaster if it had all fallen through as I didn't apply for anything else, but worked out thankfully!

There are loads of success stories! I promise. Though I'm not going to lie! It is a really tough year! It's continuously pressurised, stressful and challenging and the paper work is insane, but it is worth it

ReputationRep:
    my sister needs some help with aap - can you provide any guidance?

ReputationRep:
    I had just written a long intro by the way and then lost it...try again - reason for asking for help is that she has had no help from tutor or class teacher, she asked asked, but this has made it worse I found out tonight...she takes so long to do anything, she just needs some advice on how to tackle these aap (assessment of the pupil against NC I think....sure you know!) G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glnk)
    my sister needs some help with aap - can you provide any guidance?
    (Original post by glnk)
    I had just written a long intro by the way and then lost it...try again - reason for asking for help is that she has had no help from tutor or class teacher, she asked asked, but this has made it worse I found out tonight...she takes so long to do anything, she just needs some advice on how to tackle these aap (assessment of the pupil against NC I think....sure you know!) G
    APP (Assessing Pupil Progress)

Our tutors have advised us that, basically, don't try to assess children one by one by filling in the tracker and ticking off each thing. Just use them as guidelines, mainly to help you get a feel for what the levels actually mean because the level descriptors in the curriculum are so vague/broad!

Has your sister been told she has to fill it in for certain children?

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Phew! Placement over at last.

Feel like I should be celebrating but right now I can only handle tea and chocolate! Out for a meal with people from my course later though, then just one week 'til it's all over!

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday is my last day in university! Can't believe how quickly it has gone! I've finished my assignment now just have to sort out appendices, printing it etc!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarBabyCat)
    Tuesday is my last day in university! Can't believe how quickly it has gone! I've finished my assignment now just have to sort out appendices, printing it etc!
    Me too What uni are you at? I've still got a bit of paperwork to finish but nearly there...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone on here studying the Physics and Mathematics PGCE? I'm planning on applying for 2014, but have a few questions to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx;general idea of level all kids out. But then I have to focus on 3 kids in detail to write reports5370)
    APP (Assessing Pupil Progress)

Our tutors have advised us that, basically, don't try to assess children one by one by filling in the tracker and ticking off each thing. Just use them as guidelines, mainly to help you get a feel for what the levels actually mean because the level descriptors in the curriculum are so vague/broad!

Has your sister been told she has to fill it in for certain children?

xxx
    Thanks.
    She has been told general idea of all kids but focus on three to write reports...any tips on getting a good general overview. Thanks so much for respomdin

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.