Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ah, but who does not love France? :P Even the French love it, and God knows they hate and complain about everything that happens there.

Yep, I was an L student at the E.A.B.J.M. (also known to us as "the school with a pompously long name" :P) - I didn't know there was an international school in L.A. ! Did you do an entirely french bac or did you have it mixed up with the american curriculum?

What are you going to study now? You've probably already mentioned it in the thread, but with all 114 pages of it I doubt I'd track you down.

And I agree, once you've been through that, you can pretty much face anything academic. With the possible exception of a grande école. Congratulations and good luck to your friend, incidentally, qwertyuiop1993.

Meganeira, I think we're just a bunch of nervous workaholics. Don't worry too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meganeira)
    Why is everyone so proactive? Is there anyone who, like me, hasn't made a start on their reading lists yet? I have to say I'm more than a little daunted by the French reading list. :hide:
    The French list is actually very interesting

I really like Baudelaire and Lettres d'une Péruvienne. But the Césaire is challenging =S

Right now I'm staring at my copy of Combray, trying to be bothered to actually read past the first page :P

I read 'Qu'est-ce que la littérature' in English and frankly, i still didn't really understand it =S But you won't have to do it - you have crazy linguistics stuff

hellojabberwocky: I think my friend will need the luck - I've heard how gruelling the workload is =S

Just on a side note: What 'level' is a Grande Ecole? If everyone applying has done years of preparation, will the studies be closer to masters level?

ReputationRep:
    Baudelaire is amazing. Have you read Le Port and La Mort des Amants? <3

It is very intense; you're not exactly expected to have anything near hobbies or a social life - which means, for example, that asides from her holidays, I have not seen one of my closest friends (who was a year above me) since June 2010, because she has been studying to become a doctor. Studies which take eight to ten years, at pretty much the same rhythm. Not all french studies are as extreme as that, but it's a good example.

A grande école is, for the French I guess, kinda like Oxbridge, except more numerous (and not as good, as international rankings will show you). You study in a "prépa" for two years, preparing for the actual grande école, and there are many, many examinations to pass before you get into either the prépa or the grande école. I'm not sure how much this answers your question, because I'm not sure I understood it well. ^^"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellojabberwocky)
    Baudelaire is amazing. Have you read Le Port and La Mort des Amants? <3

It is very intense; you're not exactly expected to have anything near hobbies or a social life - which means, for example, that asides from her holidays, I have not seen one of my closest friends (who was a year above me) since June 2010, because she has been studying to become a doctor. Studies which take eight to ten years, at pretty much the same rhythm. Not all french studies are as extreme as that, but it's a good example.

A grande école is, for the French I guess, kinda like Oxbridge, except more numerous (and not as good, as international rankings will show you). You study in a "prépa" for two years, preparing for the actual grande école, and there are many, many examinations to pass before you get into either the prépa or the grande école. I'm not sure how much this answers your question, because I'm not sure I understood it well. ^^"
    Thanks - I guess I was just confused because it seems the prépa must be similar to undergraduate level? My french assistant did a prépa and then went directly into third year of the Sorbonne so I was wondering what qualification people who graduate from a Grande Ecole receive seeing as they must have done several years of study after the bac to even get there. Do they get a masters?

Haha I can expect not to really here from my friend then? =S

I'm glad there's still time for extra-curricular activities at Oxford, even though the workload will be in no sense easy.

I haven't read those poems - I will have a look! I really like l'Albatros, L'Elévation and La Musique. We only study the poems from 'Spleen et Idéal'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meganeira)
    Why is everyone so proactive? Is there anyone who, like me, hasn't made a start on their reading lists yet? I have to say I'm more than a little daunted by the French reading list. :hide:
    Join the club

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenny18)
    I'm 40% of the way through bleak how use ( I'm reading it on kindle) and I am really enjoying it. It is inspiring questions about the portrayal of children in Victorian literature, especially since I read great expectations just before it. I've read barely any of wthe books on my list, which is worrying me slightly. I've not been set anything for theory, just Victorian and old English. I had already read Beowulf, so thats a small mercy to be thankful for.

What other things are on your list. I have tennyson, browning, rossetti and Wilde, oh and eliot as well as others. How are you getting on with your reading?
    I've barely read any of them since I started the reading list (so making notes on them etc.) but I'd read quite a few beforehand, so that will make reading those quicker. I have all of those too, some Hardy as well and other people I'd vaguely heard of like Arnold. Do you have certain texts you have to read before term and others that will just be useful as you'll do them in the term?

(Original post by hellojabberwocky)
    Shinobi 93, I really enjoyed Bleak House too! Though as much as I love Dorothea, I prefer The Mill on the Floss to Middlemarch. If the theory book is by Andrew Bennett and Nicholas Royle, I have to read it too. Glad to know it's not necessarily as daunting and unpleasant as I imagined it :P
    I haven't read Middlemarch yet, but The Mill On The Floss is great, I can't wait to re-read it for the list. It looks daunting, but the chapters are interesting and short, so it's alright

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinobi93)
    I've barely read any of them since I started the reading list (so making notes on them etc.) but I'd read quite a few beforehand, so that will make reading those quicker. I have all of those too, some Hardy as well and other people I'd vaguely heard of like Arnold. Do you have certain texts you have to read before term and others that will just be useful as you'll do them in the term?

I haven't read Middlemarch yet, but The Mill On The Floss is great, I can't wait to re-read it for the list. It looks daunting, but the chapters are interesting and short, so it's alright
    Yes, some of my texts are musts, such as bleak house and middle march, but there are lots of poetry collections where it is not specified which ones I need to do, such s Rossetti, where I will read all of it. Do you have the critical essays of Ruskin on your list? I've not found anyone yet who has read them.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    It's pi approximation day :woo:

There's a t-shirt based on this strip:

I really like the t-shirt, and was going to buy it for myself (as a bit of a joke with myself) if Oxford rejected me, so that I could look forward to hearing whether I got in: either I'd be getting into Oxford, or I'd be getting a new t-shirt!

EDIT: I mainly like the t-shirt for the "oh well" bit. There's also an interesting mix of pessimism and optimism. It's saying "ah, don't be too down on failure; don't focus on the negatives", but there's something quite pessimistic about going around in a shirt with "FAILURE" on it in big letters. It's like saying "I have a positive outlook on failure ! But I'm definitely going to need it. ".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LtCommanderData)
    It's pi approximation day :woo:

There's a t-shirt based on this strip:

I really like the t-shirt, and was going to buy it for myself (as a bit of a joke with myself) if Oxford rejected me, so that I could look forward to hearing whether I got in: either I'd be getting into Oxford, or I'd be getting a new t-shirt!

EDIT: I mainly like the t-shirt for the &quot;oh well&quot; bit. There's also an interesting mix of pessimism and optimism. It's saying &quot;ah, don't be too down on failure; don't focus on the negatives&quot;, but there's something quite pessimistic about going around in a shirt with &quot;FAILURE&quot; on it in big letters. It's like saying &quot;I have a positive outlook on failure ! But I'm definitely going to need it. &quot;.
    Hey, I read Dinosaur Comics too! Along with a dizzying array of other webcomics; I am clearly one of the cool kids. I have to suppress the urge to buy t-shirts online, though; I could easily get through far too much money that way.

ReputationRep:
    Hey has anyone who's got a place to read English got a reading list they could show me? I'm hoping to apply in Septemeber and was wondering what kind of books would be on there.

Thanks to anyone who replies
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    Hey, I read Dinosaur Comics too! Along with a dizzying array of other webcomics; I am clearly one of the cool kids. I have to suppress the urge to buy t-shirts online, though; I could easily get through far too much money that way.
    Cool! What else do you read? Some of what I read (apart from Dinosaur Comics): Penny Arcade, PvP, Evil Inc., xkcd, Sheldon, lukesurl.com, Unshelved, Not Invented Here, Bad Machinery... Plenty more, but those were the first to come to mind.

I buy a lot of t-shirts online. Well, I have a lot of t-shirts that I bought online, I can't afford to buy many very often (for the reason you stated). Many that I do buy come from teefury.com and shirt.woot.com, partially because they come at about £12 with shipping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LtCommanderData)
    Cool! What else do you read? Some of what I read (apart from Dinosaur Comics): Penny Arcade, PvP, Evil Inc., xkcd, Sheldon, lukesurl.com, Unshelved, Not Invented Here, Bad Machinery... Plenty more, but those were the first to come to mind.

I buy a lot of t-shirts online. Well, I have a lot of t-shirts that I bought online, I can't afford to buy many very often (for the reason you stated). Many that I do buy come from teefury.com and shirt.woot.com, partially because they come at about £12 with shipping.
    Dilbert, Cyanide and Happiness, Dinosaur Comics, xkcd, Buttersafe, Wondermark, SMBC, Snowflakes, Ctrl+Alt+Del, Questionable Content, Least I Could Do, Pictures for Sad Children, and a few others. If I were to start on a t-shirt spree, there are a few from Topatoco that are pretty cool, and there also nice stuff on Threadless and RedMolotov.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    Dilbert, Cyanide and Happiness, Dinosaur Comics, xkcd, Buttersafe, Wondermark, SMBC, Snowflakes, Ctrl+Alt+Del, Questionable Content, Least I Could Do, Pictures for Sad Children, and a few others. If I were to start on a t-shirt spree, there are a few from Topatoco that are pretty cool, and there also nice stuff on Threadless and RedMolotov.
    Looking for group? I am addicted to that and QC.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Oxford people. If you had the chance to do two months of language course, five days a week, would you pick Japanese or Russian? I need to decide very rapidly, and can't come to a conclusion. I don't much care about practicality.

ReputationRep:
    QC is amazing. I read a lot of webcomics too, like Shortpacked!, xkcd, Faans and a few dozen more I can't remember.

nomnom1993, it depends on what you pick to study first, I think - I chose to do Victorian Literature this term rather than more modern literature, which means my list won't be the same as someone who picked the latter.

ReputationRep:
    Just checking that all Wadham peeps got the email today, check spam filters and junk mail just in case. It contains a link to lots of useful information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenny18)
    Yes, some of my texts are musts, such as bleak house and middle march, but there are lots of poetry collections where it is not specified which ones I need to do, such s Rossetti, where I will read all of it. Do you have the critical essays of Ruskin on your list? I've not found anyone yet who has read them.
    That must be how different colleges differ in the same topic, I don't have to read Bleak House, it's optional. I have specific collections for poets, so I'll read as much of them as I can. I have 'The Nature of Gothic', Unto This Last and Sesame and Lilies, although only the first is required. I need to hunt down the first one at least

And to join in with the webcomics, I read Questionable Content religiously and sometimes xkcd.

ReputationRep:
    Scandinavia and the World (http://satwcomic.com) and Buttersafe (http://buttersafe.com/) are my favourites. Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal (http://www.smbc-comics.com/) and The Perry Bible Fellowship (http://www.pbfcomics.com/) are also pretty good!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I joined ages ago but using this for the first time in a long time. I've applied for English at Wadham, got reading list today and it made me ****e myself because it's so long and I've only read about one of the books. Anyone else in a similar position??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlindVenetians)
    Hi everyone! I joined ages ago but using this for the first time in a long time. I've applied for English at Wadham, got reading list today and it made me sh*te myself because it's so long and I've only read about one of the books. Anyone else in a similar position??
    I haven't even got my list so as yet I'm only reading books that will probably be on it. I think getting more reading done will just mean that the first year will be less hectic because there are less primary texts to get through; I don't think they're going to scourge us or anything for not finishing the lists.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.